Why Some People Use Abusive Words?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (31 posts)
  1. jainismus profile image75
    jainismusposted 12 years ago

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6649752.png
    Why some people use abusive words, especially when they are irritated?

1. janesix profile image59
      janesixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It relieves pain, and vents anger.

1. ptosis profile image66
        ptosisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yup - I'm pretty sure that there was a study on it that when you hit your thumb with a hammer that it DOES exactly that.

Also - when debating on a horror such as genocide - that strong language MUST be used, to soften it up would be an insult to the victims - yes?

But I can't think of a curse-laden public speech at this time. But here is a good one without using foul language:

http://www.infowars.com/nigel-farage-ha … an-rompuy/

smilesmilesmilesmile I have since used the insult "You have the personality of a damp cloth" several times since hearing this. smilesmilesmilesmilesmile

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/6660143_f248.jpg
        Lickorous glutton, freckled bittor, jobbernol goosecap, ninny lobcock.

Actually - the funny speech on the the word F*CK helped me best on learning English Grammer!
        See link here:
        http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p … 20sentence

2. Chris Neal profile image78
      Chris Nealposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Natural human inclination coupled with cultural acceptance.

Back in the 90's I read a couple of articles about the rise in crude language (and abusive words certainly qualify) among younger people. These were not academic articles, they were ruminations by middle-aged people about the increasing prominence of teenagers and twenty-somethings using "d" and "h" a lot more. And that seems tame compared to what I often hear today, when I have achieved middle-age myself. This is the conclusion they came up with back then and this is what I think now:

When self-determination goes from being a luxury afforded by societal affluence to being the paramount (and indeed, for many the only) good, and societal good goes from being a societal necessity to a personal stumbling block, then modes of self-expression become increasingly debased.

2. iefox5 profile image59
    iefox5posted 12 years ago

We have seven billion people on this earth, so it is not strange to see different kinds of people.

1. Friendlyword profile image59
      Friendlywordposted 12 years agoin reply to this

people have different antagonist depending on the topic.  They're drawn to each other. Some forums are ment to draw friction.

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Only a clash of egos would draw friction. lol

3. Kangaroo_Jase profile image75
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 12 years ago

I have no &ucking idea, why some people would use irresponsible language and talk like d*ckheads.

4. brakel2 profile image73
    brakel2posted 12 years ago

Abusive language is sometimes what parents use, and children grow up thinking that's ok. Other times the crowd uses such language, and it becomes a habit. Habits can be broken if people try. A woman I worked with used foul language with every other word. Her parents raised her like that.She even became a supervisor.

5. profile image0
    TrinityCatposted 12 years ago

Their anger may be too much in order not to let them be focused on what they're saying. There are some people, of course, who simply thinks it's all right to cuss, so they do it. Little do they know that their mouth is so full of poop, it smells. Then they ask themselves as to why people cannot understand them and backs off. tongue

6. Daughter Of Maat profile image86
    Daughter Of Maatposted 12 years ago

If we're talking about swearing, I personally think they're just words. I admit, I have a potty mouth, but my dad was a sailor! If I'm irritated or ticked off, it makes me feel better to say "Oh mother f&cker" But that's just me. lol In fact f&^k happens to be my favorite curse word lol

Since I had my daughter though, I don't swear half as much as I used to, I've learned my lesson! But I assume most people use them for the same reason. To vent anger or frustration. It's better than hitting someone! big_smile

7. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

Language is only "abusive" when it is being used to abuse someone.  Otherwise it is just expressive.

1. Chris Neal profile image78

But what if someone is being abused despite the inability of the expresser to understand that?

1. brakel2 profile image73
        brakel2posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Exactly the point. A psychologist says you can break the habit by putting a rubber band on your wrist and snapping it when you swear. It conditions you to stop. I think when people get married and have children, it is not an appropriate habit. Each to his own opinion, however.

2. psycheskinner profile image84
        psycheskinnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Abuse is an intention.  If someone is offended by swear words that is how the received the words, not how they were meant.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image58
          MelissaBarrettposted 12 years agoin reply to this

+1

2. Chris Neal profile image78

True as far as it goes, but it still is another sign of the decline in society that "how I meant it" becomes paramountly more important than how it's received. That doesn't mean ideas that are not received properly shouldn't be explained, they should. But someone who thinks nothing of dropping f-bombs every other word is abusive, whether they intend it or not.

1. psycheskinner profile image84
            psycheskinnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No, abuse is an intent.  An obscenity may be appropriate or inappropriate to the social context.  That is all.  I, personally, don't assume that contexts in which swearing is appropriate are necessarily  degenerate.  If you don't believe in God and don't think sex is dirty, they are just words.

You don't have to believe in God or think sex is dirty to feel abused by language. The intent to abuse is exactly that, an intent, but abuse is often more contextual than intentional.

I as much as anybody have been frustrated with the general thin-skinnedness of many people, but the fact remains that insensitivity is abusive, the intention of the insensitive person completely notwithstanding.

And the fact remains that, even if the reason the person drops f-bombs every other word is more a matter of being desensitized, it is nevertheless an abusive use of language.

2. Hollie Thomas profile image61
            Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You may find fbombs offensive, but offense and abuse are not the same thing.

True. But someone can be abused as well.

8. Online-Russian profile image60
    Online-Russianposted 12 years ago

Are we talking about "swear" words or abusive words? Many words (such as "fat," "ugly," or "stupid") can be used abusively.

As for "swear" words, they are just sounds signifying an emotion, a feeling, or an act. Changing the word (the sound) we use to express the idea doesn't change the idea.

For example, if I bought a tablet from ebay and it didn't work, I could either say:

I was screwed

-or-

I was f*cked

You can say "screwed" on TV (a crude measure of acceptableness). The other word you can't say on TV, even though the meaning is exactly the same (they are synonyms).

So we are basically being offended by sounds not ideas...

Your point about "swear words" versus "abusive words" is well made. However...

There is a huge difference between someone saying:

"That jerk just screwed me out of my money!"

and...

"That a**hole f**ked me out of my money!"

(Personally I don't even like the first one, it's very crude, but for the sake of argument I will accept it for this example...)

There is a level of disassociation, of unconnectedness, that is present in the second line that is not in the first. They both express anger, but the person who expresses it the first way expresses deep anger and a feeling of frustration with someone they think did them wrong. The second way is more likely to express deep anger and a sense of alienation from the situation, as well as more of a sense of entitlement to say whatever they want, no matter who is hearing it or how they may receive it.

Casual use of such ugly words is more a sign of a debased culture than a mere matter of degree.

1. Online-Russian profile image60
        Online-Russianposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I see your point, but, linguistically, we are looking at the same signified. We are, however, treating one signifier as being more "vulgar" than the other.

Signifiers are simply sounds.

"Ship" is not vulgar; "sh*t" is. It is not the difference between the "t" and the "p," however; they are merely sounds. The difference in vulgarity comes from the thing that is signified, not the sounds.

But to get back to my original point, the word "poop" is not vulgar, whereas "sh*t" is, even tough both signify the same thing. So we (culture) are arbitrarily choosing what sound combinations are vulgar and what are not.

9. MelissaBarrett profile image58
    MelissaBarrettposted 12 years ago

I could be far more abusive using standard English than I ever could using curse words.  I curse like a drill Sargent's daughter... which I am.  However they are never used abusively... when I choose to really rip into someone they usually need a dictionary to figure out how badly they have been verbally abused.

10. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 12 years ago

It has been proven time and again that arrogant people rate abusive words as highly necessary, when engaging those with obtuse personalities and those with 'X' tattooed on their foreheads! roll

It is irrelevant whether they feel offended... ignorance is no defense in law! big_smile

11. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

If life was limited to things that were necessary it would be very dull indeed.

12. gmwilliams profile image83
    gmwilliamsposted 12 years ago

Either they have a very limited vocabulary and cannot express themselves eloquently any other way or they are just well.....totally uncivilized!

I think in a way you could argue that one equals the other. I wouldn't make it that cut and dried, but the increasingly limited vocabulary, and the decreasing value that society as a whole places on having a decent vocabulary, is a sign that civilization is being devalued and slowly eradicated.

2. Nouveau Skeptic profile image61
      Nouveau Skepticposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I would say that adding expletives expands the vocabulary.  They can be very expressive. And they are, ultimately, just words.

13. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

One poster said to me that he wouldn't piss on my teeth if my gums were on fire. I framed it. big_smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)