Where can I buy a guitar cheaply, and what sorts of things should I be looking o

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (16 posts)
  1. Moon Daisy profile image80
    Moon Daisyposted 14 years ago

Where can I buy a guitar cheaply, and what sorts of things should I be looking out for?

I really want to learn the guitar and would like to get hold of one cheaply.  But as I don't know much about them, I'd also like to find out the kinds of things I should look out for, to check that it's of a reasonable quality.  (Although I know that buying a cheap instrument might mean that quality

2. Lady_E profile image62
    Lady_Eposted 14 years ago

You could find a cheap guitar on Gumtree.com (Notice you live in London).  I've just done a quick search on Gumtree and they range from £25. One hasn't been used and its £45. So I think you'll be spoilt for choice.

Not sure what to look out for though but you could also check Gumtree for teachers who teach how to play the Guitar and ask them. I'm sure you'll find someone helpful.

3. BeginnersGuitar profile image61
    BeginnersGuitarposted 14 years ago

Try looking on eBay. You can find cheap guitars there that are quite good quality.

4. Jon Green profile image86
    Jon Greenposted 14 years ago

Hi there - cheap is a subjective term, isn't it! I'd go for a Taylor baby guitar - great tone, easy to play, you might never have to upgrade it, plus it's brilliant for travel, even by air.
    Cheers, Jon Green

5. profile image0
    vampiregraveposted 14 years ago

Read this sticky topic @ Ultimate Guitar forums (electric guitar section).

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/sh … p?t=365675

It explains pretty much everything you need to know.

6. RAJIV WRITES profile image60
    RAJIV WRITESposted 14 years ago

Hi I want you to check this... I wrote this hub for your question.... http://hubpages.com/hub/Choosing-Your-Guitar

7. how-toplayguitar profile image57
    how-toplayguitarposted 14 years ago

You should easily be able to pick up a good used guitar at your local music store. The trick is to ignore the price tag they have on it and get them down to the real price they'll take.

I found really good page online about what to look for in a guitar: http://www.freeeasyguitar.com/beginners … uitar.html

8. Vincent Pappler profile image60
    Vincent Papplerposted 14 years ago

Most major manufacturers make economy lines for beginning players that you can get at Guitar Center or local music stores. I have seen inexpensive guitars at Costco and Walmart, usually around the holidays.

There are certain things to look out for. If possible, play the guitar. You don't have to know chords yet, just strum the open strings. Listen for buzzes or rattles. Next, press your index finger on a fret and move one note at a time, one string at a time up the neck as far as you can go. Each note should sound clean, again, no buzz or rattle. Usually inexpensive guitars have trouble in this area above the 12th fret for acoustic guitars and the 15th for electric. As long as the 1st through 12th frets sound cleanly and clearly you will have a good instrument to start with and will be able to play songs as transcribed in the popular chord books and web sites.

I hope this helps you.

9. Radiance profile image60
    Radianceposted 14 years ago

Do some research. I don't know how much you have to spend, but Fender Squires can run pretty inexpensive. Check out:

http://hubpages.com/hub/how-to-buy-an-a … sed-guitar

10. EmilyWallace1981 profile image61
    EmilyWallace1981posted 14 years ago

Try pawn shops.  You would be surprised at how many people pawn awesome, quality guitars when they are in a bind, and never return for them.  The key is taking someone with you who knows a good guitar when they see and hear one.  Rule of thumb: if it sounds like crap, don't buy it.  Take a tuner with you if you can't tune using harmonics.  Also, take into account that strings can be changed.  Also, the action of the guitar (how high the strings sit from the fretboard) can be adjusted to suit your playing style.  The best thing to do is check out what they have, play it (or have an experienced guitarist play it), go home and check out reviews on it, and then decide if the price is right.

11. Putz Ballard profile image59
    Putz Ballardposted 14 years ago

Moon Daisy, I have owned many guitars in my life time and have found if one doesn't get a good instrument in the beginning frustrations with too high string action leads to soreness and often discouragement. Cheap guitars aore notorious for high action. There are however several nice guitars made by reputable companies. Martin has a new series, the D1 and the prices are decent.

If you have access to a local trade newspapeer such a iwanna, many times you can find a good used Martin or Gibson depending on how much your willing to invest. Musicians Friend is another option, They stock brand name instruments at very competitive  prices.

Finally you can always shop Pawn shops. Look for Martin, Gibson, Washburn, Blue Ridge, Santa Cruez,or Collings guitars. these oftentimes are a bit more pricey but well worth it in the long run and best of all the resale value often appreciates.

Good luck in your search
    Robert Ballard

12. JohnnyBman profile image57
    JohnnyBmanposted 14 years ago

guitarplayersource.com, I have some reviews on the side. hope this helps!

13. Oldskool903 profile image61
    Oldskool903posted 14 years ago

I got an epiphone les paul when I began to play electric. I love the guitar and its great for beginners because the price is reasonable and it plays like an expensive more advanced guitars such as the gibson les paul. I really recommend it. I got it at guitar center for around 500 dollars but Im sure you can find it cheaper online or at other stores that argent so commercialized

14. DreidMusicalX profile image60
    DreidMusicalXposted 14 years ago

I have a article on my blog that will answer allot of this for you! Need any other help just ask.

15. umairabid profile image58
    umairabidposted 13 years ago

I know some suppliers at wholesalepages.co.uk but they all do business in wholesale i am afraid that they will not sell a single piece but I think you should try

16. 6 String Veteran profile image66
    6 String Veteranposted 13 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/4704771_f260.jpg

Whether you are willing to spend $200 or $500 USD, finding an inexpensive guitar is not hard to do. There are plenty of good Web sites I will mention later on but what's important now is getting the answers to the 2nd part of your Q.

Plan on spending 2-3 hours at a large, friendly music store near you. You'll need a place where they will not hound you to make a purchase. In this setting you will learn about guitars. In the States, Guitar Center is one such place.

If you aren't near a store like one described above, find the nearest one and go. Either go w an educated friend or do some research if you have to go solo. I'll help w the research part shortly...

Once you visit a store, ideally you will walk out much more informed. If you have'nt already made a purchase you will be able to go to a good Web site for affordable guitars such as Musician's Friend.com, Sam Ash.com, eBay, maybe even Amazon.com.

Now for the meat and potatoes: What should you be looking for in said affordable instrument?

Electric Gtr

-Strings should be low but not buzzing.

-A straight neck. Any good gtr store will do a free guitar neck 'set up' for you after you make a purchase.

-Good 'pick-ups'. These are the things under the strings on the guitar's body. Without them there would be no amplified sound.

Acoustic Gtr

-The same two top concerns (above) are apply to acoustic guitars.

Don't worry about pick-ups unless the acoustic you are getting is an electric acoustic guitar (an acoustic guitar that can be amplified).

-Storage (especially for nylon-string "Classical" or Flamenco guitars). Acoustic guitars are not solid-bodies like most electrics so where they are stored requires more consideration. Case in point: guitar case humidifiers are available for more cautious acoustic guitar players/performers.

-There are more considerations, but Warranty / service is important, of course, for both (elec. + acoust.).

-6SV

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)