jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

Do you believe as I do that reality television has dummed down America's audienc

1. pmccray profile image77
    pmccrayposted 8 years ago

Do you believe as I do that reality television has dummed down America's audience?

The majority of reality tv shows are soul less vehicles devoid of any substance other than feeding our national need for voyeurism.

2. Childerns Books profile image56
    Childerns Booksposted 8 years ago

No, I do not believe that. I don't believe an outside force can make someone dumb unless they choose to let it.

3. Silver Poet profile image76
    Silver Poetposted 8 years ago

I do believe that reality TV sets bad examples.  People are displaying their vices for entertainment.  Impressionable folks may pick up their habits and/or assume that this is the normal and accepted way to behave.

4. Sage Knowles profile image52
    Sage Knowlesposted 8 years ago

Reality shows can show you the wide variety of people out there and give you insights into how other people think.  Learning about people and motivations is usually a valuable thing.  However, using them as role models to pattern behaviour is likely not the best lesson to take away.  Usually these people are pushed into artificial stressful situations, which often brings out the worst in them.

5. Caterino profile image59
    Caterinoposted 8 years ago

No, I do however believe that some people are already dumbed down before they started watching television.  I don't watch reality TV because it isn't real, it is groups acting before a live audience.  It is live children showing off.  I have enough of that in the real world, oops, another damn reality show.

6. ktarcus profile image74
    ktarcusposted 7 years ago

I believe reality television has dumbed down the whole world never mind Americas audience which in my opinion was fairly dumb from the start with all the add breaks controlling every major sporting event broadcast...

7. Approved Tix profile image50
    Approved Tixposted 7 years ago

100% percent

I feel that Reality TV has dumbed down America because it seems like that is what most people expect out of their own lives. Drama and Nonsense. Your mind is a sponge, and whatever your feeding it is what your going to get in your own life. If you listen to philosophy, You will eventually become a philosopher right? Same goes for Anything, If you constantly feel your mind with that Non Sense on TV, that is exactly what you will get out of life, Non Sense. What ever happened to the shows that actually had a purpose whether it was to educate certain morals or love or just anything that the world could benefit off of. Then again when it comes to anything, all the media really want to do is just suck the world of it money and leave the rest of us helpless...Honestly i could go on and on and on as far as to the fact that America is founded on the same slavery system they had when america first began...This topic is deeper then anything i could even comprehend and with that said

I agree 1000% that reality TV, the media, the sly government keeping real secrets from us, the radio falsifying cultures and documents is the real reason why we are considered "dummed down"

8. profile image0
    sara browningposted 7 years ago

among other things, definitely yes!  There are some reality shows that are entertaining, even fun and there are those like Bridzillas that are too ridiculous for words.  But the sad thing is these shows kind of do the "living" for people.  Time would best be spent on learning why our government is the way it is or on learning something new that can enable a better future for self and others.

9. Brooke Lorren profile image59
    Brooke Lorrenposted 7 years ago

No.  The only shows that I watch are Survivor, The Amazing Race, and News Shows.  I can't stomach what goes for "sitcoms" nowadays - they're pretty dumb too.

Although the only fictional programming that I watch happens to be reality television, I still manage to read books like "The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire" in my free time... that happens to be the book I'm reading now, but I read books like that all the time.

working