jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)

If you are a big band fan, what band was your fav & why? Or who was your favori

1. The Rope profile image55
    The Ropeposted 8 years ago

If you are a big band fan, what band was your fav & why?  Or who was your favorite big band musician

2. Hmrjmr1 profile image81
    Hmrjmr1posted 8 years ago

Hands Down it's Glenn Miller for me. If I remember my music history he had more gold records than any other Big Band from 1939 - 1947 (Two years after his death)
    My fav song of his was "The St Louis Blues March" performed by his Army Band

3. Bobs Place profile image55
    Bobs Placeposted 8 years ago

Glen Miller. Loved his music and really enjoyed the movie "The Glen Miller story".  Has anyone even heard of him anymore, or am I just dating myself again?

4. profile image29
    cipriano000posted 7 years ago

lady gaga,madona,the abba

5. Syra Mhbed profile image78
    Syra Mhbedposted 7 years ago

Freddie Mercury all the way. He had one of the greatest voices in the entire world.

1. JRK profile image60
      JRKposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Mercury, not a big band. Big band comes in several forms and the music is arranged for 18 plus musicians, a jazz and improvising setting. Those are music reading musicians, without whom many pop performers would struggle.

6. JRK profile image60
    JRKposted 7 years ago

Count Basie, Woody Herman, Bob Florence, Bill Holman, Glenn Gray and quite a few more. That covers the eras I enjoy.

How the blazes did Lady Gaga, Madonna, ABBA and Freddie Mercury get into this conversation? Surely their fans are elsewhere than here and answering a big band query.

I have most recordings by Miller and Benny Goodman, I am faithful to those who introduced my to the wonders of the classic big band . So far their music has survived and developed over 70 years and still shows no sign of disappearing anytime soon.

7. profile image51
    watson mariaposted 5 years ago

One of my favorite wedding band is A-Side Soul Ltd. It is located in Glasgow and it is mainly known for its services.