Why is jazz so hard to sell in US?

1. Mr blues 2 jazz profile image68
    Mr blues 2 jazzposted 8 years ago

Why is jazz so hard to sell in US?

2. dabeaner profile image56
    dabeanerposted 8 years ago

I feel your pain.  I am fortunate to live in an area that has one of the few remaining jazz stations on the air.  Also a classical music station in the area also.  But you can find all the Mexican ranchero, all the whimpering simpering female pop singers sounding like someone is trying to shove cobs up their butts, all the thumpa-thumpa "urban" (a polite term for a certain race music), that you could ever want, etc.

It's a hard sell because people, even most wannabe rock stars, have no appreciation of it.  Frankly, it is too "hard" to play well, and most people have even less taste today than they ever did.

Jazz belongs to an era of restaurant and club dining and drinking where you could actually hear the music.
    Today's music is perfectly suited to McDonalds and Taco Bell eating.

3. Dink96 profile image61
    Dink96posted 8 years ago

Because for starters, most people don't even know what real jazz is.  They think Michael Freakin' Buble is JAZZ.  Now that's just wrong on so many levels, I won't even begin to discuss why.  The local jazz (NPR) station here in Phoenix plays Bubbly's "jazz."  SICK.  If people don't know what constitutes "jazz" how can they appreciate it?  The really good jazz radio stations and knowledgeable DJ's are dying out, so it's no wonder that people are lost.  Fortunately, we have the internet and if someone is interested, you can find all sorts of great stations on the internet.  San Diego has a great station, KSDS, for starters.  Great question.  Isn't it sad that our own indigenous music isn't fully appreciated in our own country?

working