jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

What would be a proper age to enroll my kids in ballroom dancing?

1. luvintkandtj profile image75
    luvintkandtjposted 7 years ago

What would be a proper age to enroll my kids in ballroom dancing?

My son and daughter are 5 and 6. They are always attempting to waltz around the house. They both love dance of all sorts. What would be a proper age to enroll my kids in ballroom dancing? any tips on hunting for a teacher?
    What would you say is a reasonable price?

2. Flightkeeper profile image73
    Flightkeeperposted 7 years ago

I actually know this question because I just saw a season of Dancing With the Stars and most of the professionals started to dance when they were very young, like 5 or 6.  So your kids are at a nice age to learn ballroom dancing.

3. strutzas profile image60
    strutzasposted 7 years ago

i think the right age to enroll your kids in a ballroom dancing is 6-7.

4. Marisa Wright profile image98
    Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago

Ballroom dancing is not as physically demanding as other dance styles like ballet, so they can start as young as they like.

5. Pauladance.co.uk profile image59
    Pauladance.co.ukposted 7 years ago

Five and six are excellent ages to start.  They and you can look forward to a lifetime of enjoyment.  Happy Dancing all!

6. BallroomDarling profile image73
    BallroomDarlingposted 7 years ago

I would definitely wait until a child is at least 5 years-old before enrolling them in any dance form. Kids are less likely to hurt themselves and more likely to understand and enjoy what they are doing/learning at that age.

Finding a good dance instructor depends on what area you live in. The best tip I have is to check out an Arthur Murray or a Fred Astaire. Make sure to take a lesson with an instructor there yourself first; If you like and understand everything they teach, then they might be a good fit for your kids.

Also, while these studios are good places to start, I would actually recommend looking for independent dance studios for long term results. Try joining your Local USA Dance Chapter (or check out their website); They have lists of local instructors and independent studios.

working