How much longer have DVDs got?

1. stu-smith72 profile image56
    stu-smith72posted 7 years ago

How much longer have DVDs got?

Ive built up a pretty good collection myself but the idea that one day they will be dated in format is scary. Blu-ray is yet to be the dominant force in sales, so how long do you think it is before DVDs stop being that dominant force and how long will it take for them to be outdated like VHS

2. dgicre profile image81
    dgicreposted 7 years ago

In my opinion I would say 5 to 10 years and you will be hard pressed to find them for sale in the stores anymore. I see DVDs going the route of the 8-Track Tapes, LP Records, Cassettes, VHS and soon it will be DVDs turn to say goodbye including Blu-Ray as well.
    Once high speed internet is more common in the rural areas, and we see the newer faster speeds we keep hearing about. We will start to see the Netflix and AppleTV streaming content model become more common.  Cable TV - On Demand and Satellite Movie Rentals will continue to flourish as well. We may see a few newcomers in the business as well. Online streaming digital content is the future and here to stay.

3. Andy Webb profile image70
    Andy Webbposted 7 years ago

I can’t see it happening for a long time yet for the simple reason that whilst people will cross over to downloading movies once the service improves there will still be a lot of people who still want to physically own and collect DVDs. Even when Blu-ray really takes off I can still see DVD’s still being available at the same time because a high proportion of people won’t care too much about the higher quality or bonus extras.

The only time I can really see them disappearing is that some new form of media is discovered, something smaller with more space to store the movie.

working