How much longer will our present fiat currency last?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)
  1. Ross Harrison profile image60
    Ross Harrisonposted 13 years ago

How much longer will our present fiat currency last?

I am reading Rich Dad's Guide to Investing in gold and silver, by Mikchael Maloney.  In the book he describes the history of fiat currencies and how they always fail at the expense of man's unshakeable conviction and trust in the value of gold. 
    With the world as it is now, I just wondered how many other people have thought about this same question.

2. Brie Hoffman profile image59
    Brie Hoffmanposted 13 years ago

Boy, if you knew the answer to that you'd be a rich man/woman!  I thought it would crash last year.  I wait each and every day to see when it will happen.

3. humagaia profile image59
    humagaiaposted 13 years ago

I don't know how long it will last but what I do know is that the more fiat money that is generated in the economy the closer it gets to an economic failure. If history tells us anything it is that pumping un-backed paper money into the economy leads to hyperinflation and eventual collapse.

4. Article Magick profile image61
    Article Magickposted 13 years ago

Good question... I must admit, investing is something I've had little exposure to but out of interest I have followed the price of gold and silver and other commodities in recent months with added interest but little to lose or gain from it all... a bit like the guy who watches his kids playing monopoly but doesn't want to throw the dice!
    One thing I think I have gathered from it all is that people make decisions based on fear or greed and not on logic and as the situation around us is likely to get worse before it gets better I would imagine a lot of people will make a lot of hasty decisions they may well regret further down the line..

5. Elizabeth Guinoo profile image60
    Elizabeth Guinooposted 13 years ago

Been thinking about it. Following Mike Dillard's Elevation group where he talked about gold and silver.

6. Ross Harrison profile image60
    Ross Harrisonposted 13 years ago

I wish I had read the book a couple of years ago, I would have started buying Gold and Silver already.  Still, no time like the present.

All the pointers are that it will collapse very soon, and it is really a matter of utmost urgency, it actually makes me feel a little uneasy thinking about it.  However, I think no amount of intervention is going to prevent it happening and so we must all act now.

We have been magicking money into existence for too long now, that it has literally turned into monopoly money, and the thing with monopoly money is that we all know it is worthless, hence the lack of faith in the fiat currency.

7. profile image0
    Old Empresarioposted 13 years ago

How much longer? Probably about a decade before that fourth horseman of the economic apocalypse swings his scythe and inflates the dollar. Hopefully it inflates to the 60% mark suddenly as opposed to gradually over many years. Otherwise, no one will notice.

8. Mavis Nong profile image60
    Mavis Nongposted 13 years ago

Great question... I wish I knew the answer... People are panicking at the moment and some make bad decisions. The situation is going to get worse before it gets better sad

9. My Esoteric profile image85
    My Esotericposted 13 years ago

Darn, my answer was too long and HP wanted me to create a hub, so I did.  Anyway, this is the first and last part.

I had done some reading on this but went back for some quick refresher.  I don't think anybody is advocating going back in time when trade was done in the actual metal; that, I believe, would be a physical impossibility.  So, what the proposal is, is to go back to the Austrian school of thought which is the gold standard.

[In a nutshell, I said - Tagging the dollar to gold didn't work and it won't again.  Also, the price of gold fluctuates with good times and bad times.]

So, what will happen to the price of gold when the world economy stabilizes and things improve again?  It will plummet as it has always done once people feel somewhat safe again.  So, long story not so short, I don't suspect fiat currency to ever disappear.

10. arizonataylor profile image80
    arizonataylorposted 13 years ago

I firmly belive it's tied to overspending.  Our money used to be tied to the value of gold and silver.  Now it's tied to our belief in the dollar.  With spending as high as it is, many wonder if we can continue like this.  When we spend less and become financially responsible, the value of the dollar will increase.

11. FrugalandFab profile image61
    FrugalandFabposted 12 years ago

Not long. As you are well aware the writing is on the wall. Gold and silver is climbing. Greece is currently in the process of doing the dead goldfish routine...again...which in turn is going to take a toll on/crumble the euro. Anyone who truly thinks we are not already under a one world currency system clearly has no clue what fiat currency is. Call it a dollar, call it a pound, heck call it foofoo cuddly poops it's still all fiat currency and it's doomed to failure as it has, time, and time, and time again. What’s truly frightening is the fact that in the course of fiat currency's repeated failures it was merely the one country involved at the time (Athens, Rome, Holland, etc...) this time the entire global economy is in on it. We are headed for a worldwide economic correction the likes of which the world has never known and the end game has already begun. True story.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)