jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Is Clint Eastwood best in Western or Detective films?

1. ethel smith profile image79
    ethel smithposted 7 years ago

Is Clint Eastwood best in Western or Detective films?

2. saddlerider1 profile image69
    saddlerider1posted 7 years ago

He is especially my favorite in westerns. Next to John Wayne The Duke, Clint would be my next favorite gunslinger. However he was a no nonsense cop in his Dirty Harry series. All round Clint is a great actor and director and he's still going and looking fine:0)

3. profile image0
    TheJigginsposted 7 years ago

Clint Eastwood is great in any role he fills.  It's honestly more a matter of opinion than fact as to what his best genre is, as he's done excellent work in both settings.  Who could forget The Outlaw Josey Wales, or Pale Rider?  On the other hand, who hasn't asked some punk if they've felt lucky?  Who hasn't wanted to blow a man head CLEAN OFF after watching Dirty Harry?

I don't think it's possible to place Clint Eastwood into a single best genre, because doing so is a disservice to his acting range.

4. LordRyan profile image60
    LordRyanposted 7 years ago

Damn difficult question considering Clint is my favourite actor and The Good, The Bad and the Ugly and Dirty Harry are 2 of my favourite films. i think i'd have to go for westerns because he seems to enjoy westerns more and he now looks the part and i thought sudden impact was one of his worst films where as all of his westerns have been great and the spagetti trilogy are 3 of the best films ever, along with the lord of the rings trilogy, bullit and the crow

5. alfredfox profile image77
    alfredfoxposted 7 years ago

I am not old enough to really remember the old classics, but I think that Clint plays all of his characters amazingly in detective or Western movies. I prefer him in Western movies but not as a Cowboy but more as the quiet farmer. Also the movies that he directs are my favourite like "The Unforgiven". Clint is best at playing Clint and I am and always will be a great fan.

6. profile image0
    Richard Stephenposted 7 years ago

I love most all of Clint's films.  Though his 'spaghetti westerns' were great fun they were cheesy and not very demanding from an acting perspective.  His later roles in 'Unforgiven' and 'Pale Rider' were great though.  Similarly, his early detective roles were fun too but also kind of shallow.  He was much better in "Blood Work' were he played a retired cop.  Overall, I would have to say I've enjoyed his roles in westerns more than in detective flicks. IMHO.

7. Andy Webb profile image69
    Andy Webbposted 7 years ago

Has to be the westerns. He really stood out in the Sergio Leone movies helping to define a new style of western in the process. Where as he was good in the detective movies he for me seemed to merge in with quite a few others. Then again I love westerns over detective movies.