What Do You Expect From A Movie?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (21 posts)
  1. profile image0
    fierycjposted 14 years ago

When you go to the theatre or rent or buy a DVD, what do you expect from the movie? Good feeling? To be scared out of your mind? To be aroused? To get a sense of justice? What?

1. Sharing Insight profile image72
      Sharing Insightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hmm depending on mood...always...smile  Sometimes a great brainless action movie will do--or something really intense---horror, thriller...then there are the times for a riveting/drama...hopefully with some intellect..message or moral to the story...

I say--as long as the movie is well produced and has some wit or intelligence--I'm there.

2. profile image0
      dennisemattposted 14 years agoin reply to this

to be distracted from MY life. that simple.

3. lrohner profile image68
      lrohnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I want to be entertained just enough to feel as though I've gotten my money and time's worth out of the movie. Sheesh, I can always sit at home and be entertained by the fanatics in the religious forums for free! smile

1. profile image0
        fierycjposted 14 years agoin reply to this

hehehe

4. Lady_E profile image62
      Lady_Eposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If its a Thriller/Drama - I'd like to be totally immersed in it and hope it has unexpected twists. (like Prison Break)

Funny films - I expect to be laughing hysterically with my friends.

Romantic films - Not the Titanic Ending - please. smile

1. profile image0

Boo, dont wanna cry, right. smile

5. marinealways24 profile image58
      marinealways24posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Most movies that I watch, I can already figure out what is going to happen most of the time. So it makes the movies boring. I like movies that can't be assumed as to what the ending will be.

1. profile image0

So true, a sucker punch ending always does the trick for me. M.Night Shymalan movies do that for me.

1. marinealways24 profile image58
          marinealways24posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I will agree that most of his endings can't be assumed or figured out before the end. However, I don't like most of his movies. lol I did like the 6th sense. That may be the only one of his I liked. lol

2. Pumpkin head profile image59
    Pumpkin headposted 14 years ago

Entertainment. Anything else doesn't matter to me unless its a date smile

I'm probably the only person who's enjoyed all those "---- Movie" movies

3. love my yorkies profile image61
    love my yorkiesposted 14 years ago

I go to be entertained.  And if I get something more out of a movie, that's an added bonus.

4. livewithrichard profile image72
    livewithrichardposted 14 years ago

It depends on the movie and the genre.  Every genre plays to certain audience expectations.  The best moveis are the ones that deliver more than you bargained for.

For me to call a movie good, it has to deliver.  It has to place me inside the mindset of the characters so that I can live vicariously through them.  It has to be so different from my own reality that I want to be part of it's reality.

If it's horror, I have to feel the horror and the sense of danger.  Action, I have to feel the sense of urgency. Drama, I have to feel empethetic to the antagonist as well as the protaganist.

1. profile image0

I so so agree.

5. manlypoetryman profile image81
    manlypoetrymanposted 14 years ago

Action! But it needs to be intertwined with a good plot...not just for the sake of Action!

1. profile image0

Sure, a lot of B-rated movies suck! But its got loads of action in it! Ha!

6. Davinagirl3 profile image61
    Davinagirl3posted 14 years ago

I expect nothing more than to be entertained.  It can be a simple movie, or a complex movie.  I tend to prefer to have my mind boggled, but I don't insist on it.

7. AEvans profile image71
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

I expect to see talented actors and actresses who do not sound like they are reading there scripts. I enjoy seeing them in character and giving there all. smile If I am watching a romance expect to feel, live it and breathe it. smile

1. profile image0

I know you are a romantic, woman. smile

8. Simple Tim profile image58
    Simple Timposted 14 years ago

Just to be entertained!...a few laughs..some action...just an escape from the everyday.

9. emievil profile image67
    emievilposted 14 years ago

To escape to another world. Used to be a time when movies were my only escape from a 12 - 16 hour job smile.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)