jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

What is your favorite sci-fi movie and why?

1. Misterscott profile image58
    Misterscottposted 6 years ago

What is your favorite sci-fi movie and why?

2. Crewman6 profile image74
    Crewman6posted 6 years ago

Galaxy Quest- It clicks on multiple story levels, as a comedy, a sci-fi, a great parody, a story with heart... but the biggest reason is Crewman Number Six.  Guy Fleegman, the expendable crewman, the obligatory "red shirt" who must die early in the show to prove how serious the situation is.
    In Galaxy Quest, Guy beat the odds.  He survived, was re-designated as the plucky sidekick, given a last name, and became Security Chief on the ship.  (I know, I know, Tasha Yar... still, his odds of surviving are much higher as an accredited cast member.)
    I take inspiration from Crewman6.  If he can buck the odds and succeed, then anybody, including me, can do the same.

3. Greensleeves Hubs profile image97
    Greensleeves Hubsposted 6 years ago

So many! I like Star Wars, and Predator and Alien and also off beat quirky pieces like Starman and Batteries Not Included. Probably my favourite is the original Terminator movie. When it comes down to it, it's a simple tale of two guys - one tough good guy, and one even tougher bad guy - battling it out in an effort to protect or kill a human being (the same story was just notched up a bit for Terminator 2, with even tougher adversaries). What I like about it is the simplicity of plotline, the style, and the characters. I'm not a great fan of Arnie, but he's perfect for this role, while Linda Hamilton gives a great performance over the two movies as a ditzy waitress at the beginning of Terminator 1, who seemlessly and believeably turns into a hardbitten ruthlessly efficient one-woman soldier by the end of Terminator 2

4. profile image0
    Giselle Maineposted 6 years ago

Inception would have to be my favorite for sheer originality.

5. duffsmom profile image62
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

Not sure if it is considered SciFi but I love "Independence Day" with Bill Pullman and Will Smith.  Humor, creatures, fun stuff.

6. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image98
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 6 years ago

A sci-fi flick that's funny just because it is so bad. Fiend Without a Face is a classic example of 1950s science fiction films. read more