jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

With the rise in Netflix costs, and their poor reasoning to the change, will Blo

1. Jared Zane Kessie profile image93
    Jared Zane Kessieposted 6 years ago

With the rise in Netflix costs, and their poor reasoning to the change, will Blockbuster rebound?

2. Erin Bishop profile image59
    Erin Bishopposted 6 years ago

I think so. With in store, mail in dvds & blu-ray and streaming videos. I don't see how they wont be able to make a comeback.

3. Rachelle Williams profile image92
    Rachelle Williamsposted 6 years ago

nope, i think blockbuster is dead and gone.. besides, the price increase at Netflix is not really that big of a deal

4. brooklyn00123 profile image61
    brooklyn00123posted 6 years ago

I thought they were dead for sure a few months back.. However I did catch word that they teamed up with dish network so maybe theyll pull something together

5. mcrawford76 profile image82
    mcrawford76posted 6 years ago

I'm going to say no for two reasons.

1. Blockbuster is a dying company. More and more stores are going out of business, and I think people are fed up with the amount of money they've wasted in that place. Between the steep rental fees, the ridiculously steep late fees, and god forbid you lose a movie, they charged you upwards of $100 (based on estimated earnings that that DVD would have brought) I say good riddance; I'll never spend another dime in that place.

2. I think the Netflix rate changes were both logical and reasonable. For the first time in company history they are spending more on streaming rights than they are on DVDs. Thusly it was only logical that they separate the two in order to actually make it cheaper for those who are only streaming video vs a $6 hike for those of us that still like both streaming and DVD's. And the reverse is also true that those that do not have streaming on their computers and only want the DVDs, it saves them money as well.

6. thebeast02 profile image85
    thebeast02posted 6 years ago

I'm going to have to agree with Mcrawford here, I think so many people hated the place for so long, but they were the only ones around. Now that they have a serious competitor who came out of the gate with guns blazing, Blockbuster is getting what was coming to them. Their late fees were simply ridiculous for so long. And you want to talk about random price changes, Blockbuster did this countless times with the prices of overdue movies / games.

7. Jared Zane Kessie profile image93
    Jared Zane Kessieposted 6 years ago

Awesome answers! I appreciate the comments. It will be interesting watching what unfolds for both companies.

IMHO, I didn't mind the price increase and switch as much as everyone else. I kept my streaming service and don't plan on cancelling it. I think Netflix will rebound from the losses accrued this past month, and then continue on as usual. However, I think there will be some furious Netflix fans that may convert to elsewhere. I am just not so sure about Blockbuster getting an overwhelming amount of past Netflix subscribers. But Kudos to Blockbuster for not giving in.