jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Anyone know if taking apart an old timey TV is safe to do?

1. chasemillis profile image65
    chasemillisposted 6 years ago

Anyone know if taking apart an old timey TV is safe to do?

My roommate want to take an old TV (not that old) apart to just see what's inside of it and try to put it back together or something. It's one of those small ones (12 inch or something like that).
    I'm not really even sure how to explain it..it was from the 90s if that helps
    btw I'll check up on this Q, I just don't want 50 million emails sent to me. That's why I don't follow my own questions

2. CWanamaker profile image99
    CWanamakerposted 6 years ago

I have heard many stories of people getting shocked by opening up old CRT style TVs.  The problem is that there are several capacitors inside the box that store a lot of electrical energy.  You could get shocked if you touch the wrong spot - even if the TV is not plugged in. It should be safe to take apart after you are positive that the capacitors have been discharged.

3. wychic profile image90
    wychicposted 6 years ago

If it's been unplugged for more than a week, then it's relatively safe -- that's generally enough time to drain the capacitors. Analogue TVs have a tube in them that should not be broken, especially where there is no ventilation. To quote what my husband just said on the subject (who is an electronics tech), "Unless you know what you're doing, taking apart a TV is dangerous...especially an analogue." Yes, analogues are the older non-flat TVs, which is most likely what you have.

4. NiaLee profile image60
    NiaLeeposted 6 years ago

Not a good idea, electricity and other chemicals could be a danger for yo guys. Please, don't. Go on youtube and check a video if you want to know what is inside.

working