Do you know anyone who does not own a televison set?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (13 posts)
  1. KevinC9998 profile image72
    KevinC9998posted 11 years ago

Do you know anyone who does not own a televison set?

2. Mazzy Bolero profile image67
    Mazzy Boleroposted 11 years ago

I did know someone in the 90s who did not own a TV and just didn't want one. He used to listen to music a lot, go out with friends, or just stay home and work on things related to his business.  He thought TV was such a huge waste of time and most of the programs were pointless.  I guess he was right in a way and his business became very successful because of the way he focused on it.  I like having a TV, though.  Too much isn't good, but sometimes you need something that doesn't require much mental effort.

3. lburmaster profile image71
    lburmasterposted 11 years ago

Yes. A homeschool family with two boys who are the most intelligent males I have yet to meet. At 16, the eldest had come up with a few inventions, had finished his first Associate's degree, and made $200 per session teaching other students how to get into the college of their dreams. At 14, the youngest had helped his brother with some inventions, created and sold a few apps for Apple products relating to the stock exchange, and was entering his first year in college.
    The two of them just saw the Lord of the Rings for the first time last month.

1. Charity Squid profile image63
      Charity Squidposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oh wow!  I guess it proves that so much more can get accomplished in life without the boob tube.  That is wonderful about your sons not being lazy and wanting to make a difference in the world.  The TV has produced so many couch potatoes. So sad!

4. Trish303 profile image72
    Trish303posted 11 years ago

Yes a young couple we hang out with. they believe it takes to much time away from other things and choose not to own one.

5. calynbana profile image78
    calynbanaposted 11 years ago

I own a tv, a really old one that I didn't want to throw away. But I do not have cable or even have the tv plugged in anywhere. It is kind of used like a shelf in my spare room.

I don't think television is really worth anybody's time.

6. austinhealy profile image73
    austinhealyposted 11 years ago

I do own a television set which purpose is only to watch movies. I cannot stand the incessant commercial both on networks and cable,. So I get my news online and the TV is not hooked up to anything but my DVD player

7. StandingJaguar profile image67
    StandingJaguarposted 11 years ago

I do not own a TV, and grew up without one (I'm 23). We were a normal family, TV just wasn't a priority for us. We had plenty of other things to do, and I'm pretty sure my mom preferred this! Growing up we had a TV screen only to watch movies, but it was not hooked up to any channels, not even local. Now I watch movies on my laptop. I don't plan to ever buy one either. Who needs TV when you have the internet?

8. DreamerMeg profile image79
    DreamerMegposted 11 years ago

I don't have a TV and haven't owned one for a number of years now. I don't miss it in the slightest.

9. UMHiram profile image60
    UMHiramposted 11 years ago

Yes, I actually just met someone a few weeks ago and he said that he is not home enough to watch TV. Additionally, he feels that if he wants to see anything in particular then that can happen via the computer.

10. profile image0
    Bernadette11posted 11 years ago

Yes, me!
    I do not have a television set. For various reasons, once it was because when I came home in the evenings I watched all the soaps compulsively and then it was time for bed!.  And I grew fat.
    Also for a while, I lived in a house with women, one in particular who watched every bad romance for hours and hours while lying in a big huddle on the only sofa. So, nowhere to sit either.
    I knew I would remember this for all my life and I have.
    Finally, television is a great energy sucker and dominates a room. We forget how to talk to one another, and how many people walking down the street do you know, who are just simulations of TV characters? .
    Instead of real beings forged in the life they are living, we get plastic composites of TV people.
    TV makes you grey and destroys your brain. Also I read books.
    Am I a first in the world for this?  Could I go in the Guinness Book of Records- eek FREAK  does not watch TV- and a picture of me, so children could be taught to recognise me and be  very frightened.
    Also it is very unbelievable I know, because I get in the post, TV licence demands, finally they, the TV licence people, come to my door. I say I do not have a TV. They do not believe me!!
    Many people standing in the doorway just like I am are lying to them and hiding their TV in the press, in the children's bedroom, on the roof and other such places.
    So they send me these letters very often and I know its hopeless. I do tell them.
    But they won't believe me.
    On the back of these letters is :DON'T IGNORE THIS LETTER. And other words also in capitals. Which are really really scary.!!

Perhaps if you publish it widely on HubPage, we can sent them a link?
    And a little picture of me so they can put me in their book of rare n' weird creatures without a television.
    Also I can recognise a TV head any time of night or day, they are very anxious they have been filled full of misery and terror and hate from watching the news, they are boggle eyed from the hypnotic trance they are still in, and they are walking zombie like in the street. So not hard is it?

There is a ritual which i call 'Devotion to the Television', which people practice when somebody they simply hate enters the room. They start and stare at the television, this is their way of saying' Go away, I hate you'.

I call these kind of TV viewers STIFFIES, they are totally unrelaxed and completely not interested in what is on television. Yet the unwelcome visitor understands them.!

1. DreamerMeg profile image79
      DreamerMegposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I get those letters from the TV licence people too. I got so fed up with them that I wrote and told them if they sent any more I would send a Solicitor's "cease and desist from harassment" letter. We now only get the letters every 2 or 3 years.

11. flim profile image68
    flimposted 11 years ago

I have a real old box TV sitting in my living room but we almost never switch it on! Having said that, it doesn't mean I am not a TV drama addict. I just switch my channel to online websites.

Nowadays, online website provide such extensive coverage of dramas and program that seriously, it is making TV redundant. Most of the time, i prefer to choose what I want to watch, when to pause and come back, rather than be determined by the tv channel program editor. You know how bad it feels to switch through all channels and find them all rubbish and disinteresting?

Only when I feel like channel surfing as a couch potato, gazing aware aimlessly would I miss having a TV.

However, I think as a family, TV is really important. It binds the entire family together gathered in front of a show. So, I think TV should be connected to a laptop or pps app, so the family can create their own TV program schedule that the entire family can share!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)