I'm having a hard time making money with hub

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (46 posts)
  1. Kelley Eidem profile image46
    Kelley Eidemposted 15 years ago

My main squidoo page has generated lots of sales for me.

But despite sending 700 inbound visits in one day from a targeted outside source from to my main hub page, it has produced $-0-.

I produce important, top quality information that is highly desirable. Squidoo enables me to promote a little. On the other hand, hub pages don't appear to do very much of that.

I could be missing something...and I hope it's my error...but there's got to be a good monetary reason for me to put my time and effort into a page. If there's no financial reward for my time and efforts, then I'll regretfully have to say goodbye.

How does one monetize their hub pages?

The best to you.

Kelley Eidem

1. Mark Knowles profile image57
      Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

One monetizes one's hubpage by using the revenue sharing schemes in place. Which currently include: adsense, Amazon affiliates and ebay. 60/40 impression split with hubpages.

And this would be of benefit to hubpages how exactly?

Hubpages don't work for free either. You might think it is top quality, important information, but apparently your readers don't. Must get a better class of reader at hubpages than squiddoo.

Nice to see the genuine Kelley Eidem come out to play. Now I don't look such a dick for jumping all over you for trying to make money by preying on people's fear of cancer.

ciao

Saint Mark ASDM, CMT, LSD

Kelley Eidemposted 15 years agoin reply to this

FYI, Mark, people do buy my books, and they write me to thank me for what I've written. If you doubt it, you can go look at the comments others have left on my hubpages or look at the comments readers of my book have made.

The book sales from squidoo came about as a result of targeted visitors of a from the same outside source that I sent to the hubpage. IOW, they weren't hubsters or squidooers. It's too bad that you felt a need to disparage them.

I make no apologies for providing the extremely valuable information that I offer. In fact, it is a source of great satisfaction being able to do so.

As for how you look, I really have no comment to make.

The best to you.

Kelley Eidem

LOL I look just fine thank you. Thanks for proving me correct in my assessment.

Valuable as in worth money? Great satisfaction. Seriously, if you have genuine information that will honestly help people to survive cancer, why do you choose to sell it as an ebook rather than just publish it online?

I can honestly say that if I had that information and believed it was genuine, I would give it away. Not try and make a few bucks.

I told you what I thought of you when we first spoke.

I still think that, but in homage to hubpages' forum rules, I will not say it again.

FYI, my book was originally translated into Russian. As a result a clinic was opened in Kiev.

The original publisher is out of business. I am offering the book in two formats either as an eBook or in softcover.

If you want to spend two years writing a book and giving it away for free, please be my guest. I expect you would bear the publishing costs, etc.

As Thomas Paine would advise you, enlightened self interest provides the most and best for all involved. Because people pay for the book, it enables MORE books to be made available in the future.

The best to you.

Kelley Eidem

2. Mark Knowles profile image57

This was part of my first response.

'Nuff said?

1. profile image0
          IMHustleposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Sorry Mark, I missed your response to Kelley's question.

IMO a lot of marketers erroneously think they can use HubPages the same way they use a Squidoo lens. Hubpages is a souped up article platform and depending upon your topic + your keyword research, you can leverage HubPages.com authority to generate some decent traffic as well as rank well in Google's SERP's. You can use Squidoo as an article platform, but it's really more of a blogging platform. Whether folks want to admit it or not, when set up the right way, a Squidoo lens is a very good affiliate sales platform. But the best way to use both is as part of a linked network. A very simple network would be EzineArticles + HubPages + Squidoo , or HubPages + Blogger + Squidoo. A more advanced network would combine sites like GooglePages, Geocites, MSN Spaces Live, Yahoo! 360, Tumblr and Weebly.

No sweat. It wasn't the answer that was wanted. Hubpages seems to have some major differences to Sqidoo. I have never used them - maybe because I don't have anything to sell smile

But I think that hubpages real strength is their authority. Partly because they do a pretty good job of not being the same as squidoo and not being chock-a-block full of affiliate links. If they changed their rules and 80% of the pages had a dozen affiliate links, their authority would go out the window

2. profile image0
      terrygposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Good one Kelley, nothing like a good stir I say. I just love how someone can ask a fairly decent question and all the peoiple in the peanut gallery start throwing nuts. Its not the first time I have seen this.

I think those people should just click through to the next post as they are not doing themselves any favours. I've never met some of them, but have seen their work on the forum and would not even give them the time of day, as they come across as very dislikeable (sic) persons. I call that the two finger salute.

Each time I see this I remove my fan status from them. Maybe I'm not the only one who thinks this way, but maybe others should.

As to your original post I totally agree with you on the sales side of it. I make no comment about your book or ethics. Squidoo offers a lot more than hubpages in that regard. Hubpages serves its purpose but is still a puppy on the whole.

So maybe throw up a few more lenses and concentrate your efforts there.

Bring on the gallery .........

2. amy jane profile image72
    amy janeposted 15 years ago

Hi Kelly,
    I am not an expert at this, but I did read your hub, and because of the info promised in the first paragraph (where the ads are displayed), I just kept reading on anxiously to find the secrets to a flat tummy. smile   Maybe if you break it up into a few text capsules so you have more prominent ads and add some photos or video capsules so the reader wouldn't fly through so quickly.
    Instant success is not promised here, in general, I think it takes a little time.
    Best of luck! smile

3. Kelley Eidem profile image46
    Kelley Eidemposted 15 years ago

Thanks for your input, Amy Jane.

I am the author of a book. When I compare the same type of activity between squiddo and hubpages in terms of visits, with squidoo lots of people bought my book and some other eBooks I have.

I don't want to cross the hubpages line in terms of TOS, but at the same time if I'm going to provide hot content (my hub is #1 in the health category for HOT HUBS as this is being written), I would like a lot more for my efforts than sharing adsense revenues.

I'd like to be able to sell my book just like I'm able to get sales over at squidoo. If that happens, then I'd be happy to continue to provide more valuable information. But I don't work for free.

The best to you.

Kelley Eidem

1. Isabella Snow profile image86
      Isabella Snowposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Did someone ask you to??

As someone once said...and that someone would be 'Isabella Snow'... , "And lastly, I do custom blog designs for reasonable prices, so if you're interested, click here for my Blogbunnie site..."

Everyone wants to be paid for their services. But some think others should work for free (you?). Meanwhile, if the owners/managers of this establishment have a way to make it mutually beneficial, I would be interested in continuing.

Kelley Eidem

I'm not sure what quoting something totally irrelevant to your post was supposed to accomplish, but I can tell you what it did: It's made it pretty clear that you don't understand the definition of work.

I haven't looked at your squidoo pages, but, frankly, your hubs look like spam or scam to me, and I certainly wouldn't buy anything from you. If you were selling things on squidoo and can't manage a sale here, perhaps that simply means the hubpages audience is more discerning.

ROFL! You 'not sure' what your quote about asking for money has to do with your previous comment. Okie dokie.

Since you're wanting to characterize my hubs, your pages look like sexually prurient material to me, the big "saucy" come-on. In contrast, my information has helped people to become free of their physical pain and to become well. Clearly, we have different goals in life.   

Apparently I don't have what you're buying. Likewise, I'm not shopping for sexually oriented material, so don't expect any money from me either.

1. Don't use big words unless you're familiar with them. To say sexually prurient is to be redundant -- sexual is already implied in the word itself.

2. I'm sorry to hear that you're sexually repressed. I'm more sorry to hear that you think anything I've written here is prurient. You should probably stay far away from my professional columns, lest you break out in a sweat.

3. I don't know if you're legit or not, and I don't care. I just happen to think that what you've done here is probably categorized as something other than working for free. If you think someone owes you something, I disagree.

4. A clever person who believed they were wasting their time here when they could be making millions on squidoo would have left by now and devoted the additional time to making more millions on squidoo.

Can you guess what number 5 should be?

4. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Kelley,

I think you need to understand that Hubpages do not owe you anything, neither do you.

Hubpages provide you a platform to publish whatever you want to publish, and charge you for this rawly 40% of Adsense, Ebay, and Amazon revenue.

The rest is up to you.

5. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

off-top: Isa, I'm happy to see you back here on forums smile

6. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Kelly,

Nobody keeps you here. We don't like when people get rude, you know smile Especially when they demand what does not belong to them. Go find the place that gives you better quality traffic and be happy with it. Hubpages do not charge anything for closing an account smile

I'm not sure what happened to my reply to you...I must not have hit the send button.

Anyway, thank you for clarifying what can and can't be done with Hub. It's their niche, and they get to decide what's what. I have no problem with that. I will be going elsewhere.

I like Hubpages, but it doesn't work for my business model. So my time here will be minimal.
      It's fun seeing my hub at #1 in the health category all day long, and being able to provide help for so many people.

But I have to move because like most people, I didn't inherit a fortune and must sell my work.

You are the almost only one who bothered to answer my question. Thank you again for that. The rest has been drama from those who thrive on it.

The best to you.

Kelley Eidem

7. Lissie profile image75
    Lissieposted 15 years ago

Does anyone else see a disconnect between the picture of the "author" of this book and the fact that on the front of the book the pictures is an older guy with glasses - who looks like a Dr! What are your medical credentials OP?

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90
      Rochelle Frankposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Man, You folks are a tough audience.

Good for you!

2. Kelley Eidem profile image46

Do you have any idea what a biography is?

8. Lissie profile image75
    Lissieposted 15 years ago

Peddling dreams is particularly nasty when it comes to playing on people who have an incurable disease.

1. profile image0
      Hovalisposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I couldn't agree more. One of my workmates is dying of cancer. She's doing all she can, but the truth is she has a death sentence. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. If some of the online predators could put a human face on what they are doing then maybe they'd hesitate. But, then again, maybe they wouldn't. sad

I wrote the book BECAUSE there is so much suffering that needn't be. I cured myself of Stage 4 cancer in two weeks. But many people die from their treatment because it is so horrible...unfortunately their suffering is also unnecessary.

The best to you.

Kelley Eidem

1. profile image0
          Hovalisposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I read your sales page, Kelly. It's a pretty typical sales page, I've got to say. I would not recommend your book to my workmate for one reason: you've cited anecdotal evidence only, with no scientific studies to back up the claims. If this breakthrough were that simple then there would be studies being done all over the place to back it up, find out the behaviours and active ingredients needed to cure cancer. That doesn't seem to have happened at all in this case. This, in itself. is reason enough for me to not forward on a recommendation to someone who is finding it hard to afford treatment, let alone an eBook which has no proof to back it up.  Your dedication in sleeping on your friend's couch while travelling the world looking for the answer is not proof enough for me.

Whether you buy the book or not is not my concern in this reply. Defending Revici's work is.

The ability to ignore a good anecdotal account is a hallmark of the mediocre scientist. Also it is incorrect to say there is no proof. There is x-ray evidence of bones eaten away in terminal cancer patients being restored, as an example.

We have measured success by the wrong yardsticks. For instance, with chemotherapy drugs get passed through because they shrink a tumor over an eight-week period with little or no consideration of the patient outcome. This is called "tumor response." Note that it isn't called "patient response."

As for what the AMA did to suppress the work of Revici is a large part of the story. Morris Fishbein was forced to leave as editor of JAMA due to his unethical behavior, as an example.

The report that was published in JAMA regarding Revici's work is to this day the greatest scandal in the history of JAMA. The scandal is yet to be exposed in any significant way, but I do expose it in my book.

BTW, I have a hub which explains how I cured my own stage 4 cancer about nine years ago in two weeks. It cost me $10 at the time. The information is free.

The best to you.

Kelley

9. topstuff profile image60
    topstuffposted 15 years ago

A big clash.....

10. profile image0
    IMHustleposted 15 years ago

Wow the replies in this thread have gone way off track IMO. I'm new here and I don't want to tick anyone off BUT unless I missed something, no one has offered Kelley an unbiased response to his question.

I think you're making a mistake trying to use your Hubs as a sales platform. Kelley if you're making sales from your Squidoo lens, I would use HubPages strictly as an article platform to drive traffic to your Squidoo lens. I would consider any income derived from HubPages as a bonus. All you need is ONE bolded anchor text link (hyperlink the Squidoo keyword tag you're focusing on for SE ranking purposes) from your Hub to your Squidoo lens.

I read 2 of your Hubs. IMO you need to re-write your content to focus on your reader and what's in it for them. Your experience can add credibility, but people really want to know how this information is going to benefit THEM. Also, some parts of your cancer related content were a bit hypey  - the part about the cost of the cure - and should be toned down if you want your Hub to generate decent traffic to your Squidoo lens. Give your visitors a reason to click on your links.

I hope this helps you.

11. ngureco profile image79
    ngurecoposted 15 years ago

Kelly has planted bait here. In the meantime, traffic continues to go up in his hub.

12. DonnaCSmith profile image84
    DonnaCSmithposted 15 years ago

Just want to say kudos to you for a straight forward answer that sounds like good suggestions.

13. SweetiePie profile image82
    SweetiePieposted 15 years ago

Maybe try writing hubs on a variety of topics also, which helps to get searches from a variety of searchers.

14. Marisa Wright profile image87
    Marisa Wrightposted 15 years ago

I'm curious about the suggestion that Squidoo is a better earner than HubPages, especially as there are several people here who contribute to both, and on previous threads they've all said HubPages is the better earner.

However, they mean in terms of Adsense.  Perhaps Squidoo is a better performer if you actually want to sell something direct.

Kelly, I agree that some of your stuff comes across as "hypey" (if that's a word!).  When I come across sites or ebooks that are medical in nature, I'm immediately turned off if there's even a whiff of spruiking about them.

For instance, I recently came across an e-book about rosacea, which my husband suffers from.  I'm not going to buy it, because the publicity for it is so "gee whiz", I immediately decide it's got to be a con.

Contrast that with another book which I did buy, some time ago.  The author's site looks quietly professional.  There's no spruiking or hard sell or hype.  This is the kind of site I expect from a medico!  In fact, the guy has NO dermatology qualifications but I didn't even think to look that deeply into it at the time.

15. Dorsi profile image89
    Dorsiposted 15 years ago

I'm only going to come here once and say something-
    I watched my beloved dad die a horrible death because of cancer.
    I was at his beside when he breathed his last breath, throat swollen and barely recognizable.
    If I had information that would help people beat cancer I would be beating down every door to figure out how to get it out to the masses- free or however!
    He had many many people in his life that would have done anything to help him.
    Maybe Kelley you could think about the good of your information, and how it could help people instead of focusing on the monetary aspect.
    If one person got free information here are HubPages that saved their life, would it have been worth it then?

1. profile image0
      RUTHIE17posted 15 years agoin reply to this

Dorsi, I so agree with you.  I watched my Mother die from colon cancer.  It only took 1 year for her to die.  Meanwhile, she went through the chemo twice and 2 operations.  Nothing could stop it.

If I knew of someone who had the "cure" and was selling it instead of giving it to the people and families suffering with cancer, I think I could consider kil----No, maybe not that but I know I would have done just about anything to have saved my Mom.

Ruthie, please accept my sympathy and condolences to you for the loss of your Mom. I can't imagine how hard that must be.

Meanwhile, please allow me to address something you've said that I've seen so many times before. The argument is made that if I have a cure for cancer, it should be revealed and dispensed for free. Yet doctors charge for treatments that don't work...may I be cheeky here and suggest that the reason they don't find a cure is that if they did, then it would have to be given away for free?

It's the idea that only those who don't have the cure for cancer should be allowed to charge for it...because that is what oncologists, surgeons and radiation oncologists do...they charge for their services.

Meanwhile, those of us who do have a cure for cancer should do so for free. In fact, one of my hubs provides FOR FREE who I cured myself of stage 4 cancer. Still the complaint is made that I should give away my cure. I do give it away.

Meanwhile, I sell a book I wrote. That is not a bad thing. In fact, I am able to devote time to providing the free information BECAUSE I charge for my book.

It's important that I be able to make money selling my book...it is not a hinderance to my providing the free information, rather it makes it possible for me to do more to make the free information more widely available.

For instance, because I have an important book to sell, a professional copywriter is now working with me. His efforts could be rolled out in June. We will be making the free information available to everyone who comes to the site. This will mean that many more people who need it will have access to it for free.

In other words, more readers will be reached. And all of them will be getting my cure for free.
        It would not have been possible to do this if there wasn't an opportunity for a viable business.

The drug companies provide lots of free stuff. They also charge for their products. The only difference between them and myself is that they're still looking for a satisfactory cure for cancer. I have found one that can't be patented. And it's free.

Because mine is free, and they can't make money on it, the drug companies are unlikely to get on board with my cure any time soon. BTW, it is the drug companies who buy the ads in peer review journals. And it's the drug companies who provide weekly free buffets to medical students during their advanced training. And it's the drug companies that help finance medical schools and research.

I can't buy your doctor dinner, or provide him with free trips, so it's unlikely I could get in to see him or her to tell them about my cure.

My point is that there's a ton of money and emoluments changing hands, and it might not be in your best interests.

The best to you.

Kelley Eidem

The best to you.

Kelley

16. profile image0
    TiffanyDowposted 15 years ago

Hi Kelley!

Stay on focus in here - like terryg and IMhustle(?) said. Don't get in a pissing match with the forum - trust me, it's a small group compared with the mass Hub community who are nice and helpful but don't post here because of the negativity.

On your question, I've seen the same thing happen with several topics - they convert into sales on Squidoo but remain stagnant on Hub Pages. It has nothing to do with Hub Pages "attracting a better class of reader" (LMAO on that one).

Squidoo has a slightly higher PageRank than HP, but HP does have some authority (I'm showing PR 5 for the overall site today, which is decent). If you're getting traffic, I agree with the other poster who said to use HP strictly to funnel people to your lens, where your sales will convert.

Have you monitored how your Hubs and Lenses are ranking the SERPs? By all means, if your Hubs aren't ranking OR converting, stick to Squidoo and article directories. You also want to SILO your own site with articles to make IT an authority on the topic, and not just rely on social networks.

Good luck with it!
    Tiff wink

17. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

What goes around comes around Tiffany smile

As for your advice to Kelly - I agree smile

18. Whitney05 profile image83
    Whitney05posted 15 years ago

Looking at your hubs, I'd say that a better layout is in due. If you're hopeing to sale from the one link at the very bottom, you may want to find a better way to placing it. I know without pictures I gave up reading after the first few paragraphs, and then just scrolled down all of the hubs.

With a better layout and more time spent developing hubs and more hubs, in general, you should see increased sales. You have been here long you need to give it time.

I'd also suggest making the hubs less spammy. I do agree with whoever said it in the beginning of this thread (as I've skimmed and skipped most of it), but the hubs do look a little spammy.

Remember that HP and Squidoo have different regulations and traffic. I've had a ton more sales and overall revenue from HP than Squidoo, and many of my lenses and hubs are along the same line. I've given up making money on Squidoo, honestly... You need to figure out what works for you on HP and keep with that.

Also, remember that if you promote the same website on all of your hubs and continue to do so, you may get in trouble (so to speak) for being overly promotional. It's not only posting more than 2 links to the same site in one hub, but posting the same link in all hubs.

19. ngureco profile image79
    ngurecoposted 14 years ago

Kelly, its now 13 months since you joined Hubpages and I believe since you are still around then you agree that Hubpages is better than Squidoo, or what do you say?

20. GwennyOh profile image92
    GwennyOhposted 3 years ago

I tried the Hemmingway Editor for the first time today. Wow, it's surprisingly efficient. Thanks for the heads up, Bev.

21. Misbah786 profile image84
    Misbah786posted 3 years ago

I will also try Hemingway editor Bev. suggested me as well
    Thanks in advance Bev G

22. NateB11 profile image89
    NateB11posted 3 years ago

That escalated quickly....

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)