jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

After The Artist, do you think we will see another Black and White silent film r

1. gabrielthomas72 profile image76
    gabrielthomas72posted 6 years ago

After The Artist, do you think we will see another Black and White silent film released?

After the release of The Artist, and the no doubt success it will recieve in the form of awards etc. Do you think anybody else will release a silent, Black and White film? Or is it just a one off?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6140603_f260.jpg

2. vmartinezwilson profile image85
    vmartinezwilsonposted 6 years ago

No, we will see random films in black and white every once in a while as it has been, like with Schindler's List.  There are also many indie films that do black and white because they think it gives their movie a grittier look that a cheaper color film would make look cheesy.

I like black and white films, but then again I like classic films.

3. innersmiff profile image73
    innersmiffposted 6 years ago

Maybe, maybe not. I think what is more likely is that it will reawaken, at least for a while, interest in silent and black and white cinema. Hopefully people will start tracking down some classics and expand their cinematic palette.

4. CarltheCritic1291 profile image74
    CarltheCritic1291posted 6 years ago

I figure that if there are going to be more silent films, there needs to be a purpose (whether satirical like in "Silent Movie", or artistic like in "The Artist") otherwise I doubt anyone would bother to go see it. That's my opinion anyway.

5. Stevennix2001 profile image92
    Stevennix2001posted 6 years ago

Yeah, I concur with Carl here. I doubt there will be another one any time soon to be honest.  Sure, "The Artist" was a nice throw back to a style of film making that hasn't been around in ages.  However, we have to remember as popular as "The Artist" seems to be around Oscar time, it was not the most marketable film of last year.  If it was, then that would be a different story.  However, since it wasn't, then I doubt it.  Maybe if any of the circumstances that Carl just said happen, then  yeah it could.  Otherwise, it's not going to happen anytime soon again.

6. bscott4388 profile image61
    bscott4388posted 6 years ago

I think so. With the immense success of this film I think there will be several films in the future that try to mimic it's style.

working