Do you see the world in black and white or colour?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (13 posts)
  1. Kate Mc Bride profile image72
    Kate Mc Brideposted 8 years ago

Do you see the world in black and white or colour?

Sometimes there is just right and wrong,in other words black and white but putting things in perspective requires a more lenient or colourful view or we become frustrated between the difference between the ideal we are striving for and reality

2. Alphadogg16 profile image87
    Alphadogg16posted 8 years ago

I think things would be better if we had/saw in definitive black and white lines/color. Grey areas cause so many issues, loop holes etc and allows people not to be held accountable for their actions. Everyone should be accountable for what they do.

Kate Mc Brideposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Exactly. In some circumstances a firm focus on black and white works but there are colours as well as grey. Thanks for your answer.

3. connorj profile image70
    connorjposted 8 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12466961_f260.jpg

Do I see the World in black and white or color or colour? Perhaps seeing it in black and white would over-simplify many issues and result in wrong outcomes or solutions. Although sometimes we over-complicate or over-colorize/colourize matters and tend never to arrive at the optimum solution.
    Thus, I believe we must discern what is best; sometimes there is indeed an uncomplicated, more simplified black & white solution; yet, sometimes this black & white approach does not address the issue and it becomes somewhat like placing a small band aide or duct tape on a significantly deep and cancerous wound... I always love to mention the iceberg in the water parallel. Sometimes all we truly see is the tip of the iceberg; yet what lies out of our vision is indeed the most significant part... Thus, the significant challenge is discerning the "real" issue...
    On an other note "me" grandfather and great grandpa Captain Peter Connor's best friend and fellow sea Captain was a McBride; although they didn't reside in Ole Kathleen both their "fadders" did, maybe even Donegal. They resided in Harbourville, (NOTE: not Harborville), Nova Scotia (see picture above).

Thank you for such a balanced answer. You cover the bases well in terms of the basics of black and white and how we compensate with colour/color to accept unacceptable behaviour
      Will wait and see but this looks like a best answer to me.

2. connorj profile image70
      connorjposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, Kate; my Better-Half has the same name. She is of Irish Campbell ancestors via her da as I am of O' Connor ancestors... It is most wonderful to communicate with a McBride once again...

4. dashingscorpio profile image79
    dashingscorpioposted 8 years ago

When you see things in black & white you gain insight.
    When you see things in grey it causes you to delay.
    For time purposes sometimes it's just not practical to examine the various nuances of a situation or circumstance. Whenever possible it's best to avoid the paralysis of analysis.
    Sometimes you just have to go with your gut.
    Finding "clarity" is essentially seeing things in black & white.
    Oftentimes it's not about "right" or "wrong" but rather "agree" or "disagree". Naturally those relationships where people "agree" more often than not tend to be happier and longer lasting. Who knew?! smile

Cheers dashingscorpio for your instinct and wisdom. This answer is good enough for me to select as best answer without further ado. Will read it again tomorrow. Cheers

2. dashingscorpio profile image79
      dashingscorpioposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Kate!
      Have a wonderful weekend!

3. Kate Mc Bride profile image72

Looking forward to reading more of your hubs-have bookmarked your profile and will follow you here on hubpages too

5. tsmog profile image84
    tsmogposted 8 years ago

Black and white could be said is pragmatic while also is known as all-or-nothing thinking. The later is used at times for a diagnostic criteria for psychology. With philosophy it is known as dichotomy and false reasoning.

Answering the first question is I see the world in color thankfully. However, I love black and white photos, yet know it is the shades of gray discovered with light that offers distinction. I accept there is a right and a wrong, but I realize there are circumstances and situations too.

An example is marijuana is legal in Colorado. Whether I agree or disagree is not what this question asks. It asks if it is right or wrong. It is apparently right in Colorado as the law says so while is wrong in other states. Ponder black and white.

Right and wrong correspond to black and white. Considering grey areas only muddies the water. There are circumstances where one has to make choices to be able to live with oneself based on the tenets of right and wrong

2. tsmog profile image84
      tsmogposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for your response and comment :-)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)