jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Why is the funeral of Whitney Houston broadcasted on every news channel?

1. Mr. Happy profile image82
    Mr. Happyposted 6 years ago

Why is the funeral of Whitney Houston broadcasted on every news channel?

No disrespect to Whitney Houston in any way, she was a magnificent singer but I was just wondering if her funeral proceeding are something to be broadcasted in full on news stations ... As I was flipping through the channels I found that: the BBC, CNN, CBC, FOX, even some of our Toronto area smaller networks like CP24 and CTV were all showing the funeral live. Is this news, or what our news channels should be showing on a Saturday at noon ... the funeral of a celebrity in full?
    Could there not be a channel made for celebrity funerals or trials and such? Just wondering ...

2. Cre8tor profile image97
    Cre8torposted 6 years ago

So long as news channels are not allowing this to overshadow a story of an urgent nature, I am okay with this. I have not advocated for the issue of the flag being flown at half mast but that is of a different nature and is no fault of Whitney's. News coverage however, let's just say I'd rather pay respects to Whitney than listen to another hour of how bad the economy is. I consider it a welcome break...with no disrespect intended.

3. Patty Inglish, MS profile image93
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 6 years ago

I watched it online, because it was not broadcast on the non-cable stations here. The music and a couple of the speakers were exceptionally good - especially Tyler Perry. Even a few pastors I've met were speaking. It was all quite good.

4. Jila777 profile image75
    Jila777posted 6 years ago

I can answer your question with one word, ratings. The networks knew that huge numbers of people wanted to see it and if they didn't broadcast it, then people would  go where it was being broadcast.

5. nightwork4 profile image61
    nightwork4posted 6 years ago

because famous people dying is big news for many and it makes the networks lots of money.

6. Seeker7 profile image95
    Seeker7posted 6 years ago

I think when ever a celebrity dies it turns into a media circus. None of the TV channels like the thought of a rival getting one over on them, so they all broadcast they same 'circus'.  I don't think it's anything really to do with respect for the celebrity or their family, it is,  in the media's eyes, 'hot news' and no matter how sad the occasion, they will keep their cameras rolling until the next bit of 'hot news' comes along. I feel sorry for the relatives and friends when a celebrity does die, because there is very little privacy to pay their respects at the funeral as they would probably wish to. When you do watch or see photographs of a celebrity funeral I'm often struck by how little difference their seems to be in the treatment of this occasion from that of showing a premier of one of their movies or the opening night of one of their shows - a circus indeed!