jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Can someone explain why Hunger Games is so named? Does it have anything to do wi

1. authorfriendly profile image73
    authorfriendlyposted 6 years ago

Can someone explain why Hunger Games is so named? Does it have anything to do with bulimia or what?

This movie was one of the highest grossing movies out of the gate and is especially appealing to teens. I know about the basic gladiator premise but what is the hunger theme about?

2. gabrielthomas72 profile image75
    gabrielthomas72posted 6 years ago

I've not read the novels, but seen the film. It doesn't ahve anything to do with Bulimia. It's set in a post war era in the USA where there is a rich elite and most of the population is on the bread line. I think the 'Hunger' part represents the the situation facing the general public. And their, hunger to win.

3. catfish33 profile image82
    catfish33posted 6 years ago

Personally, I am just sick of the whole hype machine right now.  I don't want to hear another thing about it,...

4. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

The winner's family is taken care of for life.  Many of the districts in the post apocalyptic US now known as PANEM are brutally poor and many people starve to death.  The children can take the "tessary" which is to get more flour and oil for their families once a year by putting their name into the "pot" an extra time before the Reeping.

Haven't seen the movie, read the book.

5. armygirl profile image82
    armygirlposted 6 years ago

I have read the books and watched the first movie. The reason that it is called the Hunger Games is because the districts are rationed on how much they can have and because of that they do not have much food because it all goes to the Capitol. When the one child or in "The Hunger Games" movie 2 winners win new homes and their food rations are taken away and they are given all the food they can eat. So they are no longer "hungry".

working