jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

Would you rather see a 1-2hr long or 3-4hr long film version of a favorite book?

1. AM Hanson profile image76
    AM Hansonposted 5 years ago

Would you rather see a 1-2hr long or 3-4hr long film version of a favorite book?

Would you rather see a shorter movie based on one of your favorite books that left out a lot of the little details (which may include your favorite little side story or chapter) but generally stuck to the main story, or see a longer movie that included EVERYTHING (even those parts which were less interesting or downright boring)?

2. Georgie Lowery profile image95
    Georgie Loweryposted 5 years ago

I can sit through very long movies without any issues - I saw The Godfather III and Dances with Wolves in the theater on the same day! But I wouldn't want the film to suffer because of the inclusion of certain events that aren't absolutely necessary to the plot.

3. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

I like them longer but not all in one sitting. A mini series of a favorite book is ideal if done well.

1. AM Hanson profile image76
      AM Hansonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

a good example of this is the book "Dune." The miniseries are generally seen as being extremely superior to the 1984 film version, which cut out a good third of the book and took a good deal away from the whole "danger of being a hero/leader" message

4. Eric Calderwood profile image83
    Eric Calderwoodposted 5 years ago

As long as they are done well and are faithful to the book I would rather see a longer version.  If it is one of my favorite books I am going to want to see more of it in the movie rather than less.  However, I am usually disappointed by book movies because they don't stick to the book.

5. sangre profile image96
    sangreposted 5 years ago

I think 3 hours is enough. If it's bad, then your going to walk out of the cinema. 

I find nothing worse than watching a film based on a book and some of the major details are left out which are important and should have been left in, it might be only one or two things..

Plus if I'm watching a film and things are different than the book, I think I would start getting annoyed about it.

6. MarcusJ profile image71
    MarcusJposted 5 years ago

As long as the story holds my interest I want to experience ALL of it. Long movies or often the best ones. (Dances With Wolves) I really hate it when a few hollywood execs who sometimes lack creativity or artistic merit chose for the rest of us.

Closed to reply