Why are all books being changed into movies? Is this ruining the book or popular

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (16 posts)
  1. HLKeeley profile image78
    HLKeeleyposted 11 years ago

Why are all books being changed into movies? Is this ruining the book or popularizing them?

Some movies do justice to the book like "The Lovely Bones," but I feel like EVERY book is being made into a movie these days.

2. profile image56
    kumar24894posted 11 years ago

They are popularizing them . When movies are inspired from books it mean that the book is having something in it which can turn it into large budget movies like The Narnia .

3. Mitch Alan profile image80
    Mitch Alanposted 11 years ago

Ben Hur, Gone with the Wind and the Wizard of Oz were all books before there were adapted to the silver screen. It is not a new process of movie making. Sometime the translation to film is a worthy endeavour and leaves us satisfied with the end product and other times we are left with something far less savory.

4. Catherine Kane profile image82
    Catherine Kaneposted 11 years ago

Not all books are being turned into movies- there are a whole lot of books out there and more coming out every month.

And, just like anything else, some movies represent their books other than other one do...

5. YadiraE profile image76
    YadiraEposted 11 years ago

There are alot of book turned into movies. Which isn't always a good idea. Screenwriters should write some original content, content that its meant for the screen, instead of adapting books that sometimes are not meant for the big screen.

6. Nikki Major profile image65
    Nikki Majorposted 11 years ago

In my opinion, turning a book into a movie ruins the book. The number of people who are willing to read is declining in such a fast pace world...

7. stiggies profile image68
    stiggiesposted 11 years ago

Books are great stories that producers want to share with groups only interested in films.

8. Dallas Matier profile image85
    Dallas Matierposted 11 years ago

Popular books have a ready made fanbase. So, I guess the theory is that a movie based on a well-known book with a large fanbase will have a greater potential for profit. That's the business side of it anyway. I'm sure you have the artistic side, too - with film makers who may just happen to like a particular book, and thinking that it would make a good movie.

Unfortunately, even though they should really be thought of as different things, a bad movie based on a good book can potentially hurt it - not for anyone that's already read the book, but definitely for anyone that hasn't. On the other hand, though, a good movie based on a book always has the potential to convince people to go back to the original source.

9. Miss Tiff profile image77
    Miss Tiffposted 11 years ago

It depends on how the movie is made. If they follow the story line, pay attention to detail and do well at creating the characters the movies can be good. But if they completely slaughter the movie it can ruin the book.

10. Georgie Lowery profile image90
    Georgie Loweryposted 11 years ago

I'd much rather have a movie made from a good book (even if it doesn't live up to the book) than fifty-two Transformers sequels. What bugs me is when good books get optioned by the movie companies and the movies never get made.

1. i scribble profile image72
      i scribbleposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Great points, especially the second one! I had forgotten that that happens.

11. Alecia Murphy profile image70
    Alecia Murphyposted 11 years ago

I think it's a combination of factors. I think it's refreshing that  they take from books as sources instead of the constant stream of remakes and reimaginings of other films. However, it is still using another idea and transposing it. I think like others have said it depends on the book and the following to see if it has traction.

12. profile image0
    oceansiderposted 11 years ago

Jane Austen's books have become more popular then ever, now that movies have come out on just about every one of her novels.  The same with Nicholas Sparks...I love his novels, and the movies such as "The Notebook", "A Walk to Remember" and "Dear John", were all amazing.  At least for these authors, it seems that the movies being made from their books, helped encourage people to read their novels more.

13. Veroniquebee profile image65
    Veroniquebeeposted 11 years ago

I think that depends.

I'll use the example of Lord of the Rings. When it comes to LOTR, I first read several parodies, then saw the movies and I thought: oh my, LOTR must be G L O R I O U S. And then I got myself a copy of Fellowship and kept on falling asleep while reading it. I've still read the whole trilogy, even added Hobbit (which was, in my opinion, the best what Tolkien ever wrote) and Silmarillion, but although I have some reservations towards the movies, I still like them more than the books.

14. profile image54
    eBackgroundChecksposted 11 years ago

A movie made about a book is just the way that director views the book ,in my opinion. It doesn't mean you should have images of that movie in your head as you read the book - you can come up with your own...

15. Jenna Kunc profile image61
    Jenna Kuncposted 11 years ago

I think books can be made into movies because the books themselves are already very theatrical- there's character description and development, descriptions of light/setting, and an engaging plot. And let's be honest, it's easier to use the ready-made plot of a book versus coming up with something completely unique.
    I agree with what's been said about some book having fan bases and movie producers thinking this popularity will transfer over to movies, and for the most part it has. Nicholas Sparks and LOTR have already been mentioned, and we can't forget Harry Potter, Twilight, and The Hunger Games-- books and movies that have appealed to a wide range of ages.
    To get to the heart of your question, I think that sometimes people will read a book simply because it's going to become a movie. Or they'll realize a movie is based on a book and THAT will cause them to read the book. In any case, the books are getting read, so I would say that movies are popularizing books.
    On the topic of ruining them, I think books and movies should be viewed as two separate elements. Often, a lover of the book will hate the movie because details have been changed. But as viewers of media, we should know that screenwriters, directors, and producers cannot create a word-for-word adaptation of the book. The movie is a whole separate entity. It is based off of the book, but it isn't the book. For this reason, I see movies of books as something else entirely. Not something bad, just something different.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)