jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Classical Music in Movies - yay or yuck?

1. Veroniquebee profile image75
    Veroniquebeeposted 5 years ago

Classical Music in Movies - yay or yuck?

I personally think that you can find great pieces of music in classical, and movies help people to discover that. Opinions?

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 5 years ago

Yes I agree. It depends on the type of movie of course.

3. Music-and-Art-45 profile image96
    Music-and-Art-45posted 5 years ago

Usually yay.  If your talking about orchestral film scores, which is different than classical music than yay for sure, as long as the score is good.  If your talking about inputting previously written classical pieces into films then it depends on the film and the music chosen.

4. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

Yes, I love classical music and it suits a lot of movies.  What I have trouble with is some of the current movies have such horrible discordant music, it drives me nuts.

5. LastRoseofSummer2 profile image87
    LastRoseofSummer2posted 5 years ago

Absolutely I feel that Classical music in movies helps people to discover old composers (e.g. using the Overture to "The Marriage of Figaro" as the theme in "Trading Places"). To a certain extent, I almost PREFER Classical music in soundtracks because, as duffsmom said, you never know what kind of discordant "modern" stuff you may get! - not that I don't like certain movie composers! I love John Williams, Howard Shore, Hans Zimmer...

The only time I DON'T like Classical music in films is when it is used inappropriately: Let's say I'm watching some action movie and during an overdone sex scene they suddenly start playing Verdi's Requiem. All I'm going to do is look at my movie-watching partner, roll my eyes, and say "Verdi's Requiem?! WHY on earth would they use THAT?!"