jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (21 posts)

Who are the greatest English Composers of classical music to have ever lived?

1. cuttler profile image59
    cuttlerposted 5 years ago

Who are the greatest English Composers of classical music to have ever lived?

I just love classical music. However it's a pity how little I know about some of the composers. Apart from Bach, Mozart and Beethoven, I know very little bout the rest. So I turn to you.

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7651594_f260.jpg

2. MickS profile image70
    MickSposted 5 years ago

Ah, you asked for English, not British.
    Try - William Cornysh, Henry Stoninges, John Playford, Thomas Simpson, Thomas Weelkes, and probably one of the greatest English composers, Henry Purcell.

cuttlerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Mick...don't really know how to to distinguish the English from the Brittish. Am looking up your suggestions. Oh, By the way, if u don't mind me asking, were Mozart and Handel English/British?

2. MickS profile image70
      MickSposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Ah, I'm just listening to Playford, Nottingham Castle,  British/English, it's complicated, but after the union of the British Isles, there was, I think, some Act passed naming the place Great Briain. M and H, H considered British, M, Austrian?

3. ilscherzo profile image67
      ilscherzoposted 5 years agoin reply to this

cuttler: Mozart was German. Handel was born in Germany, but was British.

4. MickS profile image70
      MickSposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Ah, Mozart's birthplacem Salzberg, Austria, Bavaria, independent state? Now, I beleve it may be part of Germany, It ain't important, it's the Ausrian/Germany  part of the world.

5. ilscherzo profile image67
      ilscherzoposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Heh, I say Mozart was German because he self-identified as German. It was not Austria then, but the Holy Roman Empire. Many Austrians before World War II identified as German. He referenced Germany as his beloved fatherland (geliebtem Vaterland).

6. cuttler profile image59

Thanks guys for the information..I greatly appreciate it

3. e-five profile image95
    e-fiveposted 5 years ago

Edward Elgar, Benjamin Britten, and Gustav Holst are my favorite English composers.

Hi e-five...is Gustav really an English composer? Name sounds kinda Russian. Thanks for sharing. Looking them up now

4. LastRoseofSummer2 profile image86
    LastRoseofSummer2posted 5 years ago

Personally, I don't like Henry Purcell that much. But he is historically important to Classical music. Benjamin Britten and Ralph Vaughan Williams are tops in my book. I never get tired of listening to the latter's "Fantasia on Greensleeves"

Thanks...am looking them up right now. Never heard of these composers and I can't wait to listen to their work.  Thanks for answering

5. John Sarkis profile image84
    John Sarkisposted 5 years ago

Great question!  The English are great in literature, philosophy and poetry, but have always fallen short to the Germans in music.  ...all said, my personal favorite English composer of all times is Edward Elgar.  Henry Purcell is typically considered to be one of the greatest, but he lived a long time ago...

Thanks mate. I agree with you about the Germans..they were just in a class of their own at the time.

6. Music-and-Art-45 profile image95
    Music-and-Art-45posted 5 years ago

By English I'm guessing your looking for classical composers from Great Britain.  In Britain they had a number of great composers stemming from the Medieval and Baroque eras of classical music, but then there was (arguably) a drought of great British classical composers until the late 19th and early 20th centuries.  Here are some of the most famous British composers.

Baroque/Medieval composers:
    John Dowland
    William Byrd
    Henry Purcell
    George Frederic Handel (was actually a German, but resided in England for a large portion of his career)

More Modern Composers:
    Gustav Holst
    Ralph Vaughan Williams
    Benjamin Britten

Thanks for your contribution  Music and Art. Am getting quite a rich list here which is just priceless.

7. ilscherzo profile image67
    ilscherzoposted 5 years ago

Henry Purcell, Edward Elgar, or perhaps William Byrd.

Thanks...seems these three carry the day. I got some Henry Purcell today  and am loving his work

8. vocalcoach profile image98
    vocalcoachposted 5 years ago

To answer your question about Mozart and Handel.  Mozart was born in Salzburg, Austria and Handel was a german-born British baroque composer.  His most famous work being " Messiah."

Thanks...I just love the Handel Messiah...it is a great way to end and start the day.

9. visionandfocus profile image71
    visionandfocusposted 5 years ago

For the piano, my favourite composer is Chopin. For the violin, it's Sarasate. But you specified English...so it'll have to be Holst and Elgar.

working