jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

What type of guitar is best to learn on, acoustic or electric?

1. smw1962 profile image78
    smw1962posted 5 years ago

What type of guitar is best to learn on, acoustic or electric?

Which type of guitar works best for the beginner, an acoustic or electric guitar?

2. KellyG05030 profile image72
    KellyG05030posted 5 years ago

My daughter started out on an electric guitar.  She then got an acoustic guitar approximately one year later.  She says it was easier to start with the electric guitar as the strings are thicker on her acoustic.  She feels like the electric guitar prepared her for moving into the acoustic.  She plays in her high school jazz band and loves both of her guitars!!

3. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 5 years ago

Probably the most important consideration, when choosing what type of guitar to learn on, is what type of music will be played on the instrument. If you're a fan of rock music, and want to learn to play rock guitar, starting on electric guitar is a logical choice. If, however, you're a fan of acoustic music, and want to learn to strum your favorite songs, an acoustic guitar is probably best for you. The importance of the above philosophy can't be stressed enough. If you get stuck with the wrong type of guitar, you're going to have much less motivation to pick it up and play it regularly.

4. Silverspeeder profile image61
    Silverspeederposted 5 years ago

I found it easier to learn (still learning) on a nylon strung acoustic which has the advantage of pick up and play anytime whilst the electric has a ritual of leads and amplifier to connect, however the electric is more forgiving on the fingers and produces a fuller sound from the first tentative efforts.

5. aparkhurst7 profile image76
    aparkhurst7posted 4 years ago

It would probably be better with an acoustic to strengthen your fingers better but if you really like rock you might enjoy an electric better.

1. The Public Image profile image82
      The Public Imageposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I would tend to agree with this answer. Building up finger strength and dexterity by playing on thicker strings for even 6 months will make a HUGE difference to a serious student should they eventually make a transition to electric guitar.