jump to last post 1-17 of 17 discussions (17 posts)

Do you listen to music while you write?

1. JakeFrost profile image59
    JakeFrostposted 5 years ago

Do you listen to music while you write?

I am writing a hub right now and am in the midst of deciding whether to listen to music or not. I seem very concentrated in the silence but find myself getting bored. Would music be too much of a distraction? If you do, what sort of music is it?

2. profile image0
    Garifaliaposted 5 years ago

When I write about something that has to do with a lot of facts and research I need the silence. When it's fun stuff like a poem or story, music is motivating and I listen to what's on the radio (rock stations) but I keep the sound just below medium level so that it's not distracting. Sometimes, though, I get carried away and turn it full blast to enjoy the song.

3. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

No, music tends to distract me. It bothers the writing process.

4. beadreamer247 profile image70
    beadreamer247posted 5 years ago

Well, I am mostly like you. If I write music would take all my attention away, because I love it so much and sing a long....so I get muddled up. Therefore I choose not to write and listen to music. Music is a very strong emotional part of me and would inspire me in many ways to write about something, but writing and music....collides.

5. Georgie Lowery profile image94
    Georgie Loweryposted 5 years ago

I almost always listen to music when I write. If I have all the time in the world, I'll usually listen to rock and roll, something like Three Doors Down. If I'm in a hurry, it has to be fast stuff, like Pantera.

6. internpete profile image89
    internpeteposted 5 years ago

Yeah, I often put on Pandora and let it play a variety of stuff for me. If I don't like the song or type of music, I can change it but I don't have to spend any time setting up a playlist so it keeps me focused on writing.

7. Alecia Murphy profile image80
    Alecia Murphyposted 5 years ago

Music is always a part of what I do. I studied in college to music just to keep a pace going and to stay awake. It gave me a reason to look forward to studying. However, I know everyone is different. Now when I write, I just play what songs I'm in the mood for- sometimes mellow, sometimes upbeat..

8. livhappy profile image61
    livhappyposted 5 years ago

I do not usually listen to music during the writing process but, I find that It helps me to get into the right mindset. Depending on what I want to write about I listen to certain music to calm my mind or motiavte it into a certain direction. I reccomend anyone to try this because music has an incredible affect on us.

9. unvrso profile image92
    unvrsoposted 5 years ago

I always listen to soft music. It always helps me to relax.

10. mamarou profile image39
    mamarouposted 5 years ago

Sometimes, sometimes I have t.v. on and listen to it.  Sometimes, I'm homeschooling my girls.  Different times, different backgrounds, different moods.

11. cheetah786 profile image61
    cheetah786posted 5 years ago

many people do this while thay read and write. this is really distracting..

during study work i dont do this.. in other cases i sometime play music..

12. DDE profile image23
    DDEposted 5 years ago

I prefer working on the computer with music, also depending on the kind of mood I am in. When it is very quite  a bit of music goes well when writing

13. Simon Lam profile image94
    Simon Lamposted 5 years ago

I'm like Garifalia. When I'm writing about science-related topics that has a lot facts, I don't listen to music because I find it a bit distracting.  I listen to soft rock at low volume when I'm writing a story.

14. faisalb87 profile image41
    faisalb87posted 5 years ago

During study work I don't do this. But music is a part of my life.

15. Injured lamb profile image77
    Injured lambposted 5 years ago

Yes, most of the time, I do listen to music while I write...but sometimes it depends on my mood whether to be in my "silent mode"...

16. Beata Stasak profile image83
    Beata Stasakposted 5 years ago

I like to listen to jazz while I am writing and to classical music while I am cooking or reading or studying and to country/blues/grass while I am driving and farming and Latin American or African rhythms while cleaning.....the music helps me to change the mood and prepare me for the activity in hand...

17. Denise Handlon profile image91
    Denise Handlonposted 5 years ago

No, not usually, although I have actually written hubs or researched hubs while the television was on.  I find it mostly, too distracting.  I wasn't able to do that as a kid studying either-I'd pay far too much attention to the music and actually start dancing to the music instead of focusing on homework, haha