Drummers never get any credit. What song has the best drumming you have heard i

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (31 posts)
  1. toptendeals profile image71
    toptendealsposted 10 years ago

Drummers never get any credit.  What song has the best drumming you have heard in a music track?

For me Tool - Lateralus, Led Zeppelin - Moby Dick, and Tool - Ticks and Leeches would be my top three.

2. Lorenzo27 profile image81
    Lorenzo27posted 10 years ago

In my honest opinion, the best drumming I've ever heard in a track is "Fix you", by the Coldplay.

Drumming grows slowly but hardly.

toptendealsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Fix You is a nice song.  Can't quite get on board with best drumming ever though.  I gave it a listen though! smile

3. vocalcoach profile image93
    vocalcoachposted 10 years ago

This is long before your time but the great Gene Krupa was awesome.  Many artists like Zeppelin studied his technique and learned from him.  When I was just a little girl, my mother took me to see him perform in Los Angeles, Ca.  I'll never forget him.  You can find him in some of the old black and white movies of the 40's and 50's.

1. cat on a soapbox profile image95
      cat on a soapboxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Good call- I totally agree w/ you!

2. toptendeals profile image71

It's good to learn about history smile  Thanks for sharing!

4. The Public Image profile image67
    The Public Imageposted 10 years ago

I still can't get over Keith Moon's drumming on "Baba O'Riley." The way he keeps things moving, propelling the song to its wild conclusion, totally blows me away every time I hear it. The perfect dynamic mix of loud, quiet, and louder!

Some musicians say he was sloppy and are bothered that he didn't repeat himself very well, playing totally different fills every time the Who played a given song. Personally, I think that's the secret sauce in his playing, and it adds a great deal to the Who's sound.

Whoooo are you.  Who who, who who.

5. rebekahELLE profile image86
    rebekahELLEposted 10 years ago

I am going to have to agree with you with about Tool.  Danny Carey is such a powerful drummer. His creativity and skill with time signatures gives him a top place in the drummer world.  Both of my sons are musicians and I've seen and listened to a lot of music. Jon Bonham is one of the greats and has influenced other great drummers.  A good drummer carries the song.  He may not ever be considered one of the best, but Ringo Starr certainly didn't get the recognition he deserved.

Good answer.  But they always are if you agree with me haha big_smile

6. Bozoplay profile image65
    Bozoplayposted 10 years ago

WHITEY PENNTI GLAN WALKING THE DOG_0001.wmv
    You asked the question. This a lousy video but Whitey Glan's drumming is by far the best I have ever seen going way back to when I was a teenager when he played for The 5 Rogues in Toronto clubs and at my high school. I was smart enough to book that band several times.
    It's not really a track but this is the best drummer I have ever seen,
    The link is on Youtube. If you are drummer you must watch him play. You will be saying how the hell did he do that.

I like his roll at 2:13.  For some reason I thought of this when you linked a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItZyaOlrb7E - That Drummer was on late night he's a riot.

2. Bozoplay profile image65
      Bozoplayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

What they both have in common is an incredible sense of timing and superb control of their sticks. The second guy is a little over the top. More like an out of control octopus. Both are good drummers for sure. All 3 traits make for a good drummer.

7. cat on a soapbox profile image95
    cat on a soapboxposted 10 years ago

I agree that John Bonham rates in the top 10 or better of all-time great drummers. There are so many amazing ones out there who have obviously influenced the newest generations.  I am not a drum solo fan, much preferring to see a really adept musician in sync  w/ the other members of the band both capable of nuance and power. My exception to the drum solo is "Toad" w/ Ginger Baker from Cream. He may not WOW everyone today, but he was and still is a master of rhythmic variations w/o missing a beat at incredible speed.  Travis Barker is my favorite contemporary drummer for alternative rock because he is really talented and creative for versatility, but my vote for All-Time best goes to the late Keith Moon from The Who. I can't say which track is best because there are just too many. I've always loved watching the studio recording of "Who Are You?"  You've posed a good question which is hard to answer!

Getting great answers from everyone and lots of good music big_smile  Just watched a Travis Barker Drum Solo/Warm up video.  Not bad for a contemporary style.  I like when he jams on the high-hats.

8. sam209 profile image79
    sam209posted 10 years ago

I would have to say The Funky Drummer by James Brown. His drummer Clyde Stubblefield did his thing and got sampled so many times for it!

Right on that's some chill smooth drumming.

9. copywriter31 profile image78
    copywriter31posted 10 years ago

Danny Seraphine, ex-drummer for the original Chicago, is the greatest pop/rock/jazz drummer of all time. Buddy Rich, superstar jazz drummer, said on the "The Tonight Show starring Johnny Carson", That Seraphine was the finest drummer he had ever heard.

Wow Buddy Rich is a mad man.

10. Horse Reader profile image68
    Horse Readerposted 10 years ago

I know it doesn't have a lot of drumming  but what drumming it has is great. My pick is "The devil went down to Georgia".

11. JohnGreasyGamer profile image77
    JohnGreasyGamerposted 10 years ago

You make a very good point; drummers get squat for what they do, and a lot of solo work on their part is easily forgotten. I'd have to say a lot of Motorhead's stuff is worthy of note, especially (We are) The Roadcrew, which has a lovely beat and the drummer couldn't slam any harder on those skins! I also like a lot of Judas Priest stuff, particularly that of Exciter. ^^

Wasn't a huge fan of Motorhead although you cant deny the drumming talent.  Exciter is a cool song I hadn't heard that one smile  Starts right off strong.

12. nArchuleta profile image74
    nArchuletaposted 10 years ago

My first thought on reading this question was to answer "The intro to 'Free,' by Stryper." I don't know enough about drumming to know if Robert Sweet had great technique, but I love that drum intro.

I also LOVE the way Christoph Schneider builds the intensity of the song "Du Hast." It's not fancy drumming technique, but it's the perfect blend of at first just drum and keyboard (and vocals) that lead to this crescendo of all the instruments (and vocals) in the chorus seeming to *ahem* drum into your head.

13. Borsia profile image39
    Borsiaposted 10 years ago

You are apparently too young to remember the never ending drum solo days. It wasn't a good thing unless it was live and you were REALLY stoned.
    Of course Led Zeppelin and so many others of that time.
    Probably the most overlooked is Charlie Watt with the Stones.

14. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 10 years ago

The drummer that has had so much affect on so many drummers is probably someone you have never heard of. His abilities were just simply amazing. It is hard enough to be a drummer, let along the lead singer on several, several tracks that "The Band" performed. I am of course talking about Levon Helm. Brilliant musician, and a brilliant band overall. They had so much affect on bands that you wouldn't even imagine. Check them out.

15. Silverspeeder profile image60
    Silverspeederposted 10 years ago

Cozy Powell - Dance with the devil
    John Bonham - Moby Dick
    Carl Palmer - Rondo
    Best three drum solo's (in my opinion)
    But other great drummers are
    Cesar Zuiderwijk
    Mick Harris
    Phil Collins
    Tommy Lee
    Eric Carr
    Randy Castillo
    Neil Peart
    The list goes on and on, oh and Buddy Rich probably the greatest of them all......

16. Say Yes To Life profile image79
    Say Yes To Lifeposted 10 years ago

Anything by Phil Collins!
    As for solo songs, I'll chose Steely Dan's "Aja", and Heatwave's "Put the Word Out".

17. epbooks profile image79
    epbooksposted 10 years ago

Carter Beauford from Dave Matthews - I'd say Two Step but it's really any song he plays.  Same w/ Neil Peart-Rush.

18. whitacre1880 profile image59
    whitacre1880posted 10 years ago

in my opinion, neil peart from rush. i dont need reasoning to justify it. just listen to rush and you will understand

19. Ciel Clark profile image72
    Ciel Clarkposted 10 years ago

Drummers do get credit -- but they are the heartbeat, not the face.  Without a good drummer it is a robot band. A good drummer is in the band that makes you nod your head without being aware you're doing it.  Okay, not really answering your question -- of the ones you mentioned, Led Zeppelin (already nodding my head) and I recently saw a band (can't remember name) and love the drummer face.  So into it!  Almost as good as Stevie Ray guitar face.  I am curious though -- all the drummers I've known, (and perhaps dated) have been..  the ones we were warned against.  Love those drummers

20. profile image57
    gsurvivorposted 10 years ago

Drummers do get the credit, it's the bassist you were thinking of lol. Judas Priest's "Painkiller" popped up first, so I guess I'll go with that one. The drum intro just sets things straight from the very start when it comes to drummer props.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)