jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (9 posts)

Have you seen the movie the "Great Gatsby" yet?

1. TheHoleStory profile image80
    TheHoleStoryposted 4 years ago

Have you seen the movie the "Great Gatsby" yet?

2. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 4 years ago

No, but I'm more curious about the book. Have you seen the movie? What did you think?

3. LastRoseofSummer2 profile image86
    LastRoseofSummer2posted 4 years ago

Yes! I saw it in the theaters back in May. It is fantastic! It is definitely the best movie version of "The Great Gatsby" I have seen so far. It is much more exciting than the ones from 1974 and 2000, even though Baz Luhrmann did take a little artistic license.

I'm usually not too crazy about Leonardo DiCaprio, but I thought he was gorgeous in this movie! I was also quite impressed with how well Carey Mulligan, who is British, pulled off the American accent.

4. Sparklea profile image76
    Sparkleaposted 4 years ago

I read the book, then a couple weeks later, saw the movie.
    Leonardo DiCaprio did a phenomenal job of playing Gatsby.
    I thought the movie was terrific, and so was the book.
    The movie followed the book almost exact.
    I don't want to give anything away in case a reader has not seen it, and intends to.

Actually, I thought all the actors and actresses did a great jobs and performed their parts perfectly.

One thing I found fascinating was the big billboard described in the book with the round eyeglasses, and it was shown in the movie too.

In fact, I saw a tee shirt in a catalog with those eye frames.  Tempted to buy it.

I am quite a movie fan, so thank you for this question.  Blessings, Sparklea smile

1. Sparklea profile image76
      Sparkleaposted 4 years agoin reply to this

5. dmhenderson profile image60
    dmhendersonposted 4 years ago

I thought the movie was visually beautiful and that the implications of the visual component are the most interesting part of the film. Tobey Maguire was wonderful as Nick, Leonardo DiCaprio two-dimensional and unconvincing as Gatsby. Maybe the film's weakness for me lay in its apparently incomplete understanding of the book and its stumbling attempt to relate it to presentday realities.

6. BNadyn profile image85
    BNadynposted 4 years ago

I read the book back in high school and have been wanting to see the movie.  I heard a lot of positive feedback from friends who have seen it so I can't wait to watch it!

7. randomcreative profile image93
    randomcreativeposted 4 years ago

Yes, I really enjoyed it. I thought that it stayed true to the book while incorporating appropriate modern updates (i.e. some of the music).

8. tillsontitan profile image87
    tillsontitanposted 4 years ago

Not the new one.  Read the book, saw the old one, even wrote a hub about it, but have yet to see the new one.  I've read many mixed reviews so it is one of those movies I'm waiting for HBO to show.