jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

Why Are Bad People In Movies So Often Portrayed As Ugly?

1. WryLilt profile image92
    WryLiltposted 4 years ago

Why Are Bad People In Movies So Often Portrayed As Ugly?

The evil characters in movies are often portrayed as ugly or scarred. Why do you think this is?

2. Sherry Hewins profile image96
    Sherry Hewinsposted 4 years ago

I think the movie makers are just using the fact that we'd like to think we can tell what kind of a person someone is just by looking at them.

3. Vlorsutes profile image85
    Vlorsutesposted 4 years ago

Unfortunately Hollywood and entertainment in general just aren't original in how they portray things. Rather than trying to break new ground, they'll stick to overused cliches and go with what is firmly engrained into our minds. I think originally it was meant as a way of showing how evil the individual was, that their outward appearance is a reflection of their inner ugliness and scars.

Nowadays it's basically how Sherry described it. Rather than come up with any kind of intuitive backstory to let us learn through his actions that he is evil, Hollywood would rather just slap some scars on him or make him physically unattractive, and boom, instant stereotypical villain.

That's why I feel that, nowadays, it's actually the physically attractive characters that potentially make for the better villain. The ones that hide their inner scars and ugliness behind a suave smile and a pair of pretty eyes capable of leaving the audience in the dark.

4. KenDeanAgudo profile image84
    KenDeanAgudoposted 4 years ago

in my opinion, bad people are mostly ugly in a movies to portray there character and to suite the bad character. We people judge at first impression and we cant deny it. So maybe they are mostly ugly people so that people can easily identify and hate them as well! hahahaha

5. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image97
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 4 years ago

Interesting question.  I have no answer.  What I'd like to point out is that personally speaking, I'm possibly more horrified by the very good looking characters who're pure evil.  Ceceil Lannister (Lena Headey) in game of thrones comes to mind. she's extremely beautiful, and cold as Winter North of the wall where the White Walkers have now awaken smile

6. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 4 years ago

Remember the adage ugly as sin.In the movies, evil characters are oftentimes portrayed by less attractive or shall we say ugly people. The purpose is to make the character as repulsive as possible. read more

1. gmwilliams profile image86
      gmwilliamsposted 4 years agoin reply to this

This hub is my answer to this question. Please check it out, thank you.

working