Why does God do bad things to good people if He really is just?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (27 posts)
  1. KeithTax profile image73
    KeithTaxposted 11 years ago

Why does God do bad things to good people if He really is just?

I want honest answers only. No name calling or "my religion is better" stuff.

2. justateacher profile image85
    justateacherposted 11 years ago

I don't think anyone can know the real answer - but I think that it is because those bad things are put in our way to teach us some sort of lesson. When a child gets sick, must deal with some horrible disease or worse, I think that child is put here on Earth to remind us of the goodness in the world. To teach us that there are things more important than the latest fashion or television show or ourselves. As I said, I don't know the real answer...this is just my opinion...

3. girlgonestrong profile image60
    girlgonestrongposted 11 years ago

Your question contains an improper assumption.  The Bible clearly says that there is none that are righteous.  That all are sinners and that God hates sin.  The Bible clearly teaches that without the repentance and regeneration that is only available through Christ that we are ENEMIES of God.

Even the "good" things we do are done in a failed attempt to appease him.  To "weight the scales" down with good in order to out-balance the bad.  God has commanded us NOT to approach him in such a way so even the seemingly good things that we do are an abomination in his sight.  He makes the rules as to how we are to please him - we don't get the privlidge of making it as best we see fit as we trapse around through life.

In the end, the answer to your question is that God DOESN'T ever do bad things to good people because there are no good people...only evil sinful ones.  As to why God allows those who he has redeemed and have chosen to follow him and thus are counted as righteous in his sight to experience trials of many kinds....he clearly answers that question in James 1:2-5 as well in the entire book of Job albeit a bit less directly than in James.

1. KeithTax profile image73
      KeithTaxposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Then why did God create bad people? Why would perfection create imperfection? How is it even possible?

2. tlmcgaa70 profile image60
      tlmcgaa70posted 11 years agoin reply to this

GOD did not create bad people. GOD is good. in order for man to have the freedom to choose HE had to create the opposite of HIMSELF...satan, or evil. CHRIST HIMSELF said no one is righteous. we are all bad people.  some of us accept the free gift of

3. justateacher profile image85
      justateacherposted 11 years agoin reply to this

"there are no good people-only evil sinful ones"I don't agree with this.There ARE good people.Just because people don't believe the same way you do, it doesn't make them evil and sinful&many people who have repented and had forgiveness are murder

4. girlgonestrong profile image60
      girlgonestrongposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Keith, God didn't create bad people. He created people with the potential to sin. Adam chose to sin and because of how the cosmos is organized, everyone inherits this sin nature. Some (like Hitler) express it more than others but all sin.

4. tlmcgaa70 profile image60
    tlmcgaa70posted 11 years ago

GOD did not create bad people. GOD is good. in order for man to have the freedom to choose HE had to create the opposite of HIMSELF...satan, or evil. CHRIST HIMSELF said no one is righteous. we are all bad people. some of us accept the free gift of salvation, thus washing us clean and giving us a new start. by the blood of CHRIST we become righteous, not by anything we ourselves can do. when people make the choice to reject GOD and HIS gift of salvation, it is their own choice and not GOD's fault. people need to take responsibility for their actions and choices and not blame everything on GOD all the time.

1. glynch1 profile image65
      glynch1posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Satan is not the opposite of God, though he does oppose Him. Lucifer (who became Satan [adversary]) was perfect when God created him; however, he rebelled against the LORD and consequently fell from his lofty position. He never was God's opposite.

and you think GOD can not control HIS angels? GOD knows everything that will happen, HE created lucifer for a purpose...just like HE created pharoah for a purpose.

5. Vegas Elias profile image60
    Vegas Eliasposted 11 years ago

I don't think God does any bad things to good people. The fault lies with good people because they do not understand that they cannot be good to bad people. Being good does not mean one has to tolerate anything from anyone. I know of people who allow themselves being cheated and hurt just to keep their image of being good. There will be many willing souls to hurt such people; and if they do it why should we blame God? One has to defend himself and retaliate appropriately when required. It remind me of the song 'Coward of the County' by Kenny Rogers. You have to fight when you need to.

1. ackman1465 profile image60
      ackman1465posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Damn, Elias... I tried to follow your logic and felt like I was reading a dime-store novel printed on a bowl of spagetti...

I DID like your ""has to defend himself" thing, tho'.  We have "stand your ground" here in Florida. Probably God inspired..

6. Sunnyglitter profile image83
    Sunnyglitterposted 11 years ago

God doesn't do bad things to good people.  People do bad things to each other.  He's there to observe and guide, not to live our lives for us.  This is just my opinion and I will probably get yelled at by somebody who claims to be a better Christian than I am.

1. profile image0
      Starmom41posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm Jewish & I agree with your viewpoint 100 percent.  smile

2. Daniel 120plus profile image60
      Daniel 120plusposted 10 years agoin reply to this

that's right, no christiian will ever condemn your view point

7. Bretsuki profile image68
    Bretsukiposted 11 years ago

I believe God cannot do wrong. When what we see as bad things happening to others or ourselves that wrong is our own judgement not God's.

The Bible tells us, many times that God only means good for us. If bad things, uin our view, happen How do we know that it is not for our good. We may miss a bus that would have taken us to an important interview, we lose that job and see that as bad. But if God is all knowing and because we don't get that job and we find another better job do we look at it as a blessing from God?

God will always send us the strength to deal with the trials we find through our lives. He promises us that. All we need to do is trust that He is asgood as His word.

God's justice is always perfect, it is our human judgement which is faulty. We cannot comprehend true justice because we carry our own bias and preconceptions. God is above all that and cannnot therefore be truly judged by human values.

8. bhargvi sharma profile image37
    bhargvi sharmaposted 11 years ago

Every sort of situation we experiences in our life teaches us a lesson & these situations might be helpful in dealing or handling  that situations in a better way when that occurs again with us & if we learn lessons from all our bad situations there will be no more regrets in our life & our life will be a perfect one as then we are able to cope up with every sort of situation by thinking that may be this kind of situation teaches us something better.
    By putting us in bad situation god makes us strong & identifies our weakness & qualities to ourselves means identifies we with ourselves. God tests our patience & capabilities in dealing with any situation to give us what we deserves.
    Moreover, Always remember God gives us everything we need but not everything what we want & god gives us that much what we deserves not more than that.
    Also, If god puts you in any bad situation god always show us the path to deal with it or help us in some sort of way to get out of it;  all we need is to open our eyes & recognize it. Believe in god & remember everything happens for a right reason. big_smile

9. Darrell Roberts profile image70
    Darrell Robertsposted 11 years ago

I think that God is just.  I think that sometimes things happen to people who we think are good because they really are not so good in God's eyes. Example, I see Jane Doe attend church every Sunday and I see her do so many wonderful things.  Naturally I will think that she is a good person.  However, I do not know what Jane Doe does when I cannot see her or what she really is thinking, so I am not a good judge.  God on the other hand is with Jane Doe watching her every move and God is omniscien, so God is the better Judge. 

I also think that bad things happen to people to test them.  God may want to see if a person really loves God, by making their life miserable to see if they would curse God or not. 

Another idea is that if we had a previous life we may be facing the results of previsous lives, i.e Karma.

Best wishes.

1. ackman1465 profile image60
      ackman1465posted 11 years agoin reply to this

So Darrell... may we imply that Jane Doe - this bastion of the church - must have some sordid, hidden life that she is unable to hide from God... and he's got her in his sights and is going to kick her a*s? ... and she can't get away from him/her/it?

Darell, when GOD tests us, it isnt to tell HIM more about us, HE already knows everything there is to know.it is to tell US more about ourselves and to help us become stronger in faith.also GOD said it is appointed unto man to live but once.1 life.

3. Darrell Roberts profile image70
      Darrell Robertsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi Ackman1465
      There is nothing hidden from God, it just takes time for the results of a person's karma to catch up to them.
      Hi Tlmcgaa70,
      It cannot be concluded for an absolute fact if we live one or multiple lives.  Different scriptures differ.

10. profile image53
    blue_domesposted 11 years ago

This is a question for those who believe that God punishes people. I don't. And if you actually want to ask "Why bad things happen to good people?" the answers are 2:
    - by accident or
    - because there are many unhappy people. Unhappy people harm others.

When we will learn that LOVE is the answer for every problem humankind has, we are doomed to live miserable lives.

11. AtHomeHeather profile image60
    AtHomeHeatherposted 11 years ago

Our Heavenly Father does not "do" bad things to "good" people. He allows for situations in our lives even ones that cause us pain in hurt for His glory. We are on this Earth to bring glory to God and He does everything in His time for the benifit of His glory. Allowing bad situation into people's lives allows for them to rise above their problems draw closer to God. Also as others watch a person cling to their faith in the Lord in the face of adversity it may give them strength and comfort in the Lord also.

12. Mr Love Doctor profile image60
    Mr Love Doctorposted 11 years ago

I don't know.  He is God and we are not.

Reminds me of a very gifted, educated (Harvard Divinity), wise, and godly preacher I  met one time.  We got to talking about this or that.  Eventually somehow the conversation drifted to prophecy, a topic I usually resist because it brings out the kooks and opportunists.  I asked him, "What is the meaning of the time, time, and half a time that Daniel keeps speaking about when all the saints will be persecuted?"  He looked at me, laughed, and said, "Honestly, I do not know.  What is important is that we know the saints are being persecuted, and WILL be persecuted.  Are you ready for that?"

Yipes.  I don't know if I am.

1. glynch1 profile image65
      glynch1posted 11 years agoin reply to this

It seems clear from a comparison of Daniel and Revelation that "time, times, and a half a time" refers to the last half of the seventieth week of Daniel (9:25-27) during which the Jewish remnant will experience persecution at the hands of Antichrist.

13. Perspycacious profile image64
    Perspycaciousposted 11 years ago

To suit His higher purpose: to bring about the immortality and eternal life of His children, and so that the unrighteous may be judged righteously.
    An example:  Why the Holocaust?  Adolf Hitler hated the Jews so much that he wanted his Third Reich to have nothing to do with "Jewish science" which was his name for nuclear physics.  Consequently Nazi Germany did not make a concerted effort to obtain the atomic bomb.  Hitler's same hatred was behind the Holocaust which killed 6,000,000 Jews and others by some estimates.  How many millions of Christians, Jews, and others might have died had Hitler not turned his back on "Jewish Science" and, instead, obtained the atomic bomb while he was still in power?  And, how would today's world have been different in that case?

14. angela_michelle profile image94
    angela_michelleposted 10 years ago

I don't think God does do bad things to good people?

I do know that sin has entered this world; therefore, there is hate, disease, pain, loss, death. He is there to guide us. Yes, he does allow these things, but his goal is not for our temporary comforts, it is for our eternal life. Each bad thing has the potential to bring good and ultimately his will for this earth. He wants us to choose Him, so sometimes that means allowing us to lose a lot, until all we have is Him.

It's really a choice. No one can talk you into believing in Him. We can debate this all day, but until you are ready to accept Him as good, loving, waiting to be the Savior of your soul, you will not know Him. You will continue to believe that He is the reason for the pain, suffering. It's only when you are willing to seek the truth, not holding resentment, anger, hate, then you will begin to see Him.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)