jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)

What made child star Shirley Temple so popular?

1. bethperry profile image92
    bethperryposted 4 years ago

What made child star Shirley Temple so popular?

The world has today lost former child star and U.S. ambassador Shirley Temple (Black). Many of us know her only by old movies we come across on cable TV and/or the fact our parents and grandparents loved her, and yet her movies still draw new fans.What do you think made Shirley Temple so very popular in her time, and what about her appeals to later generations?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8730873_f260.jpg

2. janshares profile image97
    jansharesposted 4 years ago

Shirley Temple was as cute as a button, tiny, and lovable. As children, we were riveted by her presence on the tv screen because she was just a kid doing amazing things in the movies. She was also extremely talented beyond her years. To see her dance was a treat. She was often in a parental role in her movies imparting wisdom to the adults with a sweet sense of humor. She was definitely an icon of the era in which I grew up. Every little girl wanted "Shirley Temple" curls for Easter. She was a living doll.

bethperryposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I think you're on target here, janshares, thank you.

2. janshares profile image97
      jansharesposted 4 years agoin reply to this

You're welcome, bethperry, thank you!

3. deecoleworld profile image81
    deecoleworldposted 4 years ago

Didn't really grew up watching her movies, but I watched some of her movies. She was cute as hell, had a smart mouth, and was mature for her age. Sometimes you wanted to punch her but then realized she is (was) a child, so instead you wanted to give her an air hug. She was the Michael Jackson of movies for her era. Born to entertain and spread her cuteness around smile

She was entertaining, that is for sure.

4. luvtoowrite profile image42
    luvtoowriteposted 4 years ago

She had that make you want to smile, sweetness and spunk that was contagious. She often played a character where there was always hope, even in the worst circumstances. She will be missed...

Indeed.

5. Alastar Packer profile image83
    Alastar Packerposted 4 years ago

She was a ray of uplifting sunshine in a very dark age.i.e., The Great Depression. Fellow veteran actor Adolpe Menjoi swore she was a midget ( height-challenged) because of her incredible talent at such a young age. Yeah, they had Shirley Temple and we have Honey boo boo. Nothing against the latter but you get the point lol.

I think that's a very valid point, Alastar. From the couple of films of hers I've seen she projected the very optimism our nation needed at the time. And I'll keep my fingers crossed Honey Boo Boo will turn out the lady Shirley was smile

working