False advertising on tv- is there not a law with penalties for false advertiseme

1. Aurora Dawns profile image77
    Aurora Dawnsposted 3 years ago

False advertising on tv- is there not a law with penalties for false advertisements?

Why are not some of these advertisement companies fined or punished for false advertising?
    Example ab belts which promise to give you an ab, pills you take and you do not have to change your eating habits or exercise.? HMM I cannot believe so many believe much of this crap. Of course if you or I came up with something and advertised it we would be so busted

2. gposchman profile image84
    gposchmanposted 3 years ago

There are penalties for false advertising, unfortunately it must be proven, and the initial penalty is that the ad must be removed. Unless a claim actually causes harm there isn't much that anyone can do.

Most ads will show wondrous results but will contain some kind of disclaimer that results shown are not typical. The claims may be valid under laboratory conditions where very strict controls were applied. Etc etc. There is small print attached too small to read.

If it sounds too good to be true it usually is.  Its like the Physic disclaimer for entertainment purposes only, wink, wink. If there is a disclaimer that is the reality of the claim resides.

Want to be healthier, eat better, practice portion control and walk briskly for fifteen minutes a day. Guess what, it doesn't cost anything.

There are no short cuts to anything, but if you see life as a journey, remember the journey is the thing, not the destination.

Gene Poschman

1. Aurora Dawns profile image77
      Aurora Dawnsposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, and good points yes the small print no one can read LOL. Yes always remember if it sounds to good it normally is
      Just amazes me what is showcsed on tv

working