jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

Is it better to be lucky or smart?

1. woahthere profile image63
    woahthereposted 2 years ago

Is it better to be lucky or smart?

2. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 2 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12858256_f260.jpg

I don't think it matters as long as one is happy in the end.
    Truth be told all means of success involve some measure of luck and timing along the way. There is no one I know of who would choose not to be lucky or would rather have bad luck but be smart.
    The fact that I was born in the U.S. as oppose to Somalia is luck!
    I never make it a point to put down people for being lucky.

3. ronbergeron profile image85
    ronbergeronposted 2 years ago

Given the choice, I'd chose smart.

I think that smart people are in many cases able to create their own "luck". Same for persistent people and people with good attitudes who are willing to work hard.

1. dashingscorpio profile image87
      dashingscorpioposted 2 years agoin reply to this

However one might argue that being smart or naturally having a high IQ is a matter of "luck". smile
      The same holds true of DNA/genes of good looking people. Some of these things are passed down if one is (lucky) enough to have the right parents!

2. ronbergeron profile image85
      ronbergeronposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Very true!

4. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 2 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7606365_f260.jpg

Smart people make THEIR OWN luck.  Smart people have the resources to create, even attract opportunity by their fierce planning, strategizing, & organization.   Luck without smarts nor intelligence means naught.   Lucky fools & simpletons aren't lucky for long. There will be ALWAYS someone smarter who will usurp them intellectually or otherwise in one way or another.  They don't know how to handle, even appreciate their luck or fortune.  They SIMPLY don't possess the wherewithal to maintain, even increase their luck. 

Smart people always realize that they are the ones who create their own luck.  Luck is not happenstance but a creation as a result of smart, intelligent thinking & visualization.  Successful people are lucky because they create situations which attract luck.  They know that they must make things happen if they want to progress to the next step.  They realize that they are the ones who must create the right atmosphere, know the right people, & create other positive outcomes in order to be at their station.   Successful people are smart, there are no dumb people who are successful.  Smart people don't only create, even attract luck-they have the wherewithal to maintain, even INCREASE their luck.

5. tamarawilhite profile image94
    tamarawilhiteposted 2 years ago

If you win the lottery and then waste the money, being lucky did nothing to help your life overall.
    Intelligence is better than random luck.

6. KrakyePoku profile image84
    KrakyePokuposted 2 years ago

I think its much better to be smart than just finding yourself to be lucky. Luck is just preparation meeting opportunity. And you can not be prepared if you fail to be smart. And you cannot appreciate an opportunity and make the best out of it when you are not prepared.

working