Can Stupid People really Talk to Smart People?

Jump to Last Post 1-39 of 39 discussions (233 posts)
  1. ceciliabeltran profile image65
    ceciliabeltranposted 13 years ago

I think not.

See you're not talking to me. (must be something I ate!)

1. goldenpath profile image68
      goldenpathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I acknowledge my stupidity.  How's life where you are?

ceciliabeltranposted 13 years agoin reply to this

nice weather, food's great. coughing. need doctor but too stupid to actually call for an appointment.

1. goldenpath profile image68
          goldenpathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Like I always tell the kids.  Forget the doctor - what you got is probably highly infectious. smile

yes, i must have gotten a shallow virus... or something.

2. Springboard profile image82
      Springboardposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think it tends to make things quite difficult, honestly. I mean, you start throwing all of that knowledge and know-how with words at 'em and their head gets spinning so fast you can see their eyes just starting to tilt back a little into their sockets...

That said, it's easier to come down to their level, I think. Perhaps. smile

But how deep is that love? how deep down dumb must one have to go to see 1 +1 = 2? and that addition is expansion of a numerical concept. you know self-similar units repeating at various scales to express complexity from simplicity and say the second law of thermodynamics?

1+!+!+!+!+!+!+!+!+!+!+!+1+!+!+!+!= 17

must it be spelled out like that

when 10+7=17 is so much simpler. But then, they can't put numbers together past 4.

How stupid should stupid be in order to not have a right to pretend to have an opinion?

3. skyfire profile image80
      skyfireposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Stupid people will form a group and will try to isolate if there is any intelligent person around. Same goes with group of intelligent people, they don't care for stupid person around them.

1. mega1 profile image81
        mega1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

is this the right group?

1. skyfire profile image80
          skyfireposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm agnostic. tongue

2. ceciliabeltran profile image65

so you are saying that stupid beings should coagulate and become an organism that may be as stupid as the individual stupid units, for instance...republicans rooting for sarah palin.

4. JWestCattle profile image62
      JWestCattleposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Stupid people.....people who have had ample opportunity and actual teachings and life experiences to know better......versus ignorant people who have never been taught anything different beyond what they have known and lived.  Seems to me it is important to make that distinction in this conversation, based on the responses so far to this topic.

Smart people have little long term patience with stupid people unless something is to be gained from the relationship.  Smart people are more than willing to play to stupidity, encourage continued stupidity, have dinner with stupidity, and fuel continued stupidity....if it furthers their goals.  If there is nothing further to be gained, they have no time for them.  As well, they likely laugh at stupid people behind their back quite regularly, which is a sad and sorry thing.

ACORN is a classic example of this very thing, as are many die-hard liberals, particularly even the well-educated, so-called 'smart' ones, wishing to have a rub of the light of the ultimate and in power 'smart' liberal.  And highly educated 'smart' liberals in positions of power re-invent themselves generationally to continue to appeal to 'stupid' people.

Just my thoughts.

1. TLMinut profile image59
        TLMinutposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There is also such a thing as compassion. Many people are willing to help stupid people because they know the stupid ones will not be capable. Hard to believe perhaps, but it's true.

1. JWestCattle profile image62

Compassion is for ignorant people, people who don't know any better...compassion has no place or purpose for generationally stupid people, they have made a choice to be stupid.

1. TLMinut profile image59
            TLMinutposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I see your point about compassion for the ignorant. But I can't agree that stupid people choose to be stupid. There are people without the capacity to understand many things; effort will improve things for them but do they even know how to start?

2. TheGlassSpider profile image64
            TheGlassSpiderposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wow. That is perhaps the most heart-breaking thing I've read in a while. sad

I'm really sorry you feel that way. I hope you are never in a position of having others think you are stupid or in a position of needing compassion.

1. Randy Godwin profile image59
              Randy Godwinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Too late!

1. TheGlassSpider profile image64

*attempts to hold back a snicker...is unsuccessful*

Nice snake.

Thanksssss!

2. JWestCattle profile image62

Heartbreaking?  Wierd.

Being stupid and/or in need of compassion are two very different issues.  Again, it is important to define exactly what the state of 'stupid' is versus 'ignorance'.

Ignorance is deserving of compassion and aid -- stupidity is not.  I grew up in a family of 5 kids, and the use of the term 'stupid' was not allowed by my father and brought on his wrath smile and was regularly defined by my father as a person having the tools and education to know better, but not seeing, and ignorance as not having ever been taught.  Perhaps my father was wrong. 

For certain, we learned that using the word 'stupid' in regard to anyone, was a very bad thing to do.  Even this topic is offensive so far as I'm concerned.  The author by virtue of the topic is targeting a group of people as stupid -- rather than ignorant, which is a group that needs and deserves compassion and guidance and education, and is likely quite open to discussion with a 'smart' person of any ilk.  A 'stupid' person is not, their mind is closed to what they hear if it does not agree with what or how they wish to live.

Hmm. Perhaps I've misunderstood you; if so, I apologize.

ETA: Having said that, I do not agree that "stupid" people, by any definition, "choose" such a state.

Like Senator McCain helping Sarah Palin by not letting her speak to reporters.

Heh. Okay...that was funny.

2. Randy Godwin profile image59

I bet you voted for Sarah Palin, right?

Actually, I was leaning toward Obama, felt all charged up listening to him, at first, bought the whole package, I'm a sucker in that respect, but as time went by I began to sense and perceive certain points in his speeches and demeanor that were subtle and ultimately alarming once I got past the rah rah.  Stupid people did not pick up on his subtle messages. 

As for Palin, she made a great speech from the get go of her nomination, over time I was concerned about her; and then McCain I think sold out and just let the election go. Today, Palin is at the very least a voice for the 'majority' of America, who are not being heard by this administration.  She has seasoned and matured as a speaker and I'm really glad she's there.

Palin would be a hands down better President than 3rd in line Pathetic Pelosi, who reminds me of my brilliantly smart high school teacher who got her equilibrium unbalanced by the bad boys in class slamming their books on the floor -- not exactly presidential material, much less speaker material.  One must wonder just how much smart dirt she has on the 'stupid' congressman. 

Stupid as in they should know better, but choose not to.

So, was I correct?  You actually voted for her?  HAHAHAHAHA! Sorry, I can't talk to you anymore!

3. ceciliabeltran profile image65

Though I agree with you. This forum is designed to crack jokes and poke fun at stupid/smart people and not really a serious discussion on the subject matter. It's under entertainment. On more serious forums the word stupid is not used on people who are disadvantaged mentally or who are careless. We would naturally respect them as individuals.

That said, this is just monkeying around stupid and smart. Inspired by some people preoccupied in looking and talking smart but are actually quite dense.

I of course do not judge you for liking Sarah Palin over Obama, even if as Tina Fey puts it "She's probably just as smart as I am and that's not enough"

4. profile image0
        kimberlyslyricsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

They sound stupid, and you insulted me, I have no education at all however am a successful global broadcast producer, published author and photographer.  Yes stupid in scholastic areas if you call it that but growing up on the streets, who would be stupid stuck in the projects surrounded by a gang or even self defence.  I believe we should not define either as we all have both traits in different areas

5. dario415 profile image59
      dario415posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well springboard i read your comment and when i read its easier to come down to their level tells me something about you.Its funny when you ask a question like that and you get responses that are out of place. Lets say this springboard, since its easier to come down to their level. Try going through what they go through in life. But i've seen and been around smart people and they didnt  know or could do the simple things. Know the basics in life. So whos really stupid.?

Dont take no offense to this please im just responding. Dario?

I really have no idea what you just said, so I must be stupid.

6. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Stupid can attempt to talk to smart people but smart people aren't about to listen to idiots.  Stupid people try to talk to smart people all the time but mart people are WAY ABOVE stupid people's level.  Smart people find stupid amusing at best & totally confounding at worst.  Smart people think where did these yahoos get their "ideas" from. Stupid people should just plain.........STFU for what they are saying is pure nonsensical tripe.  But they will INSIST.......that is why they are stupid. 

Stupid people have a more primitive, base consciousness, mentality, philosophy, outlook, psychology & purview. Stupid people are unthinking & act upon feeling & emotion, never logic.  These are the people who make poor life choices yet wonder why they are in the hole.  These are the people who have MORE children than they can afford, being mired in poverty yet see this as a normative lifestyle. They even have children when they can't afford to give them even a minimum standard of living.  These are the people have inverse logic, they gravitate to negative situations & exists at a lower level in terms of human needs. 

Stupid people don't believe in improving themselves.  They accept life as it is.  Such people surround us & there is ONE here unfortunately.  To them, wrong is right & right is wrong.  They live at the LOWEST, PRIMITIVE level & refuse to understand that there is life beyond the baser needs, they are suspect of refinement & cultivation-seeing such things as superfluous.  They are heathens & it is BEST to avoid them like the plague they are!
      https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12055653.jpg
      Ron White said it......WELL.   Since smart people can't fix stupid, STAY AWAY from the stupid f******rs!

1. gmwilliams profile image85
        gmwilliamsposted 6 years agoin reply to this

typing too fast, meant smart people, not mart people

2. Rafini profile image81
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

what do you mean by stupid?

3. Rafini profile image81

My son says, No.  Because stupid people don't know how to participate in an intelligent conversation.

Websters

Main Entry: 1stu·pid
      Pronunciation: \ˈstü-pəd, ˈstyü-\
      Function: adjective
      Etymology: Middle French stupide, from Latin stupidus, from stupēre to be numb, be astonished — more at type
      Date: 1541

1 a : slow of mind : obtuse b : given to unintelligent decisions or acts : acting in an unintelligent or careless manner c : lacking intelligence or reason : brutish
      2 : dulled in feeling or sensation : torpid <still stupid from the sedative>
      3 : marked by or resulting from unreasoned thinking or acting : senseless <a stupid decision>
      4 a : lacking interest or point <a stupid event> b : vexatious, exasperating <the stupid car won't start>

1. Rafini profile image81
        Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

okay   ????

2. JOE BARNETT profile image59
        JOE BARNETTposted 13 years agoin reply to this

this definition in total defines one of our political parties. jeez

he he he...i'd be careful

4. Rafini profile image81

I say, well, it depends.  Is the intelligent person willing to communicate on a level the stupid person can understand?

First and foremost there are stupid people who think the are smart. So let's define smart, shall we?

Pronunciation: \ˈsmärt\
      Function: adjective
      Etymology: Middle English smert causing pain, from Old English smeart; akin to Old English smeortan
      Date: before 12th century

1 : making one smart : causing a sharp stinging
      2 : marked by often sharp forceful activity or vigorous strength <a smart pull of the starter cord>
      3 : brisk, spirited <a smart pace>
      4 a : mentally alert : bright b : knowledgeable c : shrewd <a smart investment>
      5 a : witty, clever <a smart sitcom> b : pert, saucy <don't get smart with me>
      6 a : neat, trim <soldiers in smart uniforms> b : stylish or elegant in dress or appearance c (1) : appealing to sophisticated tastes (2) : characteristic of or patronized by fashionable society
      7 a : being a guided missile <a laser-guided smart bomb> b : operating by automation <a smart machine tool> c :

willingness versus ability is the question. Like for instance, a very smart 1 year old won't understand Don't eat the stuff from your nappy. You'll get sick, it's full of bacteria and your stomach got rid of it for a reason. All 1 year old can understand is NO! NO! NO! And even then, it will only understand that you disagreed with him/her but not why.

5. Ron Montgomery profile image61
    Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years ago

If you were truly stupid, you wouldn't know how to answer the question.

6. profile image0
    Twenty One Daysposted 13 years ago

err, emmm, uhhh, humf.

1. profile image0
      Twenty One Daysposted 13 years agoin reply to this

ps, nice shades.

gucci

thanks james

what is that furry thing?

1. profile image0

wouldn't you like to know. jeje.
          seriously, it is a 'choco chic'.

ha ha
            what are you doing with a choco chick and why is it you?

1. profile image0

precisely!
              i haven't decided on a new photo, yet.
              In the GMT, deliberately scapegoating (legally exploiting) the coco chic. B`sides, it's cute.

*snickering in between coughs*

7. mega1 profile image81
    mega1posted 13 years ago

Hate the word stupid.  Even at my most torpid I can still talk, though no one (even other torpid people) would want to listen!

you know what torpid means, don't you?

neener neeener neener~!

8. mega1 profile image81
    mega1posted 13 years ago

Can Stupid People really Talk to Smart People?

read the Conscious Natural Selection thread and you will get a demonstration of exactly that situation and the answer to this question!

9. TheGlassSpider profile image64
    TheGlassSpiderposted 13 years ago

What is this smart and stupid? In world where we can hardly define intelligence, might it be just another label that keeps humans separate from one another...as though we are not all ultimately alone!?

Do we not all suffer and laugh? Do we not hunger and thirst and long to fill the voids within? Do we not all grow and wonder? Do we not all reach out for one another and find the connections lacking?

Is it not possible to communicate with one another on these, universal, platforms rather than on the flimsy platforms some men thought up?

Every empire has been built upon the backs of those some would call "stupid" and many have fallen at the whims of those some would call "smart." Every person, every creature, has a place in the cosmos far beyond what meaningless labels allow us to comprehend.

When will people get it that we need our hearts AND our heads?

10. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years ago

hmmm..

I find the problem is smart people are just not capable of understanding stupid people.
    unsure as to why????????

11. TheGlassSpider profile image64
    TheGlassSpiderposted 13 years ago

Whew! What was that? Dunno what just got into me then...*shakes it off*

@kim...LOL I think you said it better.

1. profile image0
      kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey you,
      how are those new shoes working for toy,scared they were too high.
      xo

Hey back at'cha!

It's all good, anything from you is a treat smile

XOXO

12. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 13 years ago

its funny you folks should bring this up.  for you see, just because a person might seem stupid, doesn't mean he's dumber than the guy talking about rocket science or modern philosophy.  far from it.  unless the stupid person has a learning disability, then no he's just as smart as the guy who talks about philosophy using big words.  the only difference is the so called dumb guy might focus his brain and knowledge towards practical  things like the ability to make others laugh and read people well.  Plus, he might even know a lot about films and sports too.  Where as the guy who knows about philosophy and rocket science maybe focusing his brain and knowledge towards book smarts, that he may not even be able to carry on a normal conversation with most people, like the so called dumb guy could.  therefore, both are equally as smart, just in different ways.  at least that's what this one guy who was a licensed psychologist told me once.  NO, i was not seeing him for any mental issues, but I used to sell the guy suits when i used to sell men's suits for a living.

I don't blame you for not seeing him, he sounds stupid!

1. profile image0
        Stevennix2001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

really?  what makes you say that? hmm

Joking, of course!

Well there are 7 domains of intelligence, which intelligence is dumber? LOL? wait to appear smarter than i am, let me google it...and copy paste the darn info. LOL!

here it is voila!

Word smart (Linguistics), Picture smart (art & spatial), Music smart, Body smart (athletic & dance), Logic smart (math and logic), People smart (Interpersonal people skills), and Self smart (inner sight, self-knowledge, self-awareness and seeking).

so from now on, if somebody is by definition of webster torpid, I will politely talk about dance and sports! That way, I will honor that person's brand of smart. smile

1. mega1 profile image81

better just let them talk!  lol

13. ComputerPsychic profile image60
    ComputerPsychicposted 13 years ago

Everyone thinks my cousin is a genius and he cannot even read.  He is in special ed class yet if you spoke with him you would swear he had an IQ that shot through the roof.

1. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

maybe he's another albert einstein.  i heard he couldn't even  tie his own shoes and was a lousy math student.  however, he sure did know how to create formulas that would lead to the invention of a nuclear bomb!  lol.

well seriously there is a term for that, it's called twice exceptional. It may be that he has asperger's

so you're saying if I come across a person in the forum who does not fit webster's definition of smart, I'll say:

"you know, you're twice exceptional!"

1. Sab Oh profile image56
        Sab Ohposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Asperger's has become the ADHD for arrogant people; something anyone can claim to excuse flaws and promote sympathy at the same time.

*snickering*

yeah I know what you mean!

2. Friendlyword profile image59
          Friendlywordposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Explain the STALKER way of thinking, and how they get that way.

Hi friendlyword, any friendly words on an entertainment forum?

1. Friendlyword profile image59

Hi Cecilia
              Your forums is going to be bigger than the Hub Tribe forum. All of the smart people are going to post to prove they're smart. And all the stupid people are going to post to prove they're smart.

Very good Cecilia!

That's what I thought! Anyway, well...I guess that's really what draws people to discussion.

3. Georzetta profile image74
      Georzettaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

He probably does. Most people I know have some sort of cognitive difficulty in some  area.

I'm okay smart, good grades and all that, but I'm constantly getting on the wrong Metro and I can't find my way out of most buildings if they are new to me.

14. profile image57
    Mileeposted 13 years ago

Much eaiser for stupid to talk to smart than smart to talk to stupid.

I know right, although in that context can't tell where I stand because i don't think i'm doing well talking smart in this forum.

15. Arthur Fontes profile image76
    Arthur Fontesposted 13 years ago

It gives me a migraine headache
    Sinking down to your level

Dave Mustaine

16. alternate poet profile image67
    alternate poetposted 13 years ago

Apart from the issue of which smarts and stupids you mean, really proveable clever people are often dumb as it gets with some things in life and some really stupid people do the smartest things. 

The other issue is the ability to think at different 'levels', like chess, the further you can think ahead the smarter you seem to be, you win more games more easily for sure. 

People who have any ability and have been educated to a higher level should have been either able to think at a higher level anyway or been taught how to do it. Once anyone is up there, discussing with those at the lower level can become boring and almost meaningless as the 'smart' stays within their own narrow range or field of higher thinking.  If the rocket scientist talks to the cosmologist - narrow field is still a narrow view and they often do not stay interested in each other for very long.

that is an actual brain theory,you know. predictive intelligence is what consciousness is. the more accurate the predictive capacity, the more advanced a life-form is.

1. alternate poet profile image67
        alternate poetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't trust these things as they are all devised by people who are 'advanced' in those areas that they say are the most advanced big_smile  Like people good at exams because they have good memory - even if they have little or no reasoning ability.

Well it is a brain theory comparing organisms not people having exams. It just means that foresight is a good indicator of intelligence just like the chess game moves you mentioned.

2. Sab Oh profile image56

That sounds like what the guy who failed the test mutters as he walks away

17. ceciliabeltran profile image65

ok it's an entertainment forum. so

There are homer simpsons, but there are also mojo jojo dumb. Who do you think is more stupid?

18. habee profile image91
    habeeposted 13 years ago

To answer the original question: yes, but they need an interpretor.

LOL! who on earth would take that job?

19. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

A truly intelligent person has the ability to know how to relate to, and talk with, someone who may not have as much "mental ability".  If an intelligent-enough person cannot find something in common with someone he sees as "less intelligent", then that person isn't as smart as he thinks he is.   smile

You are absolutely right, Lisa!

2. davidseeger profile image60
      davidseegerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I've rarely met anyone who was so stupid(what ever that means) that there was not something he/she knew that I didn't know. But I had to listen with a mind open to the possibility of learning. If I didn't learn I usually went away thinking I had failed.

Well said.

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

the world sure could use a lot more people who think like you.
        well said and I believe you mean it which is even better. smile

3. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

hey David, if you come back and read this... I read your profile and see you have no hubs, and yet you have a lot of wisdom. I think you have a lot to write about and would love to see some davidseeger hubs...  big_smile  pleeeze.

20. profile image0
    WizardOfOzposted 13 years ago

It happens all the time.  Check out the religion forums.

21. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 13 years ago

Well I'm dumber than a brick so anybody who talks to me can write it of as a charitable donation.smile

Not true, sneako!  You are way smarter than most bricks!  But you still voted for Palin, I bet!

donating attention smile

22. profile image0
    Twenty One Daysposted 13 years ago

b : vexatious.

this could definitely be my view of intel w/ or w/o stimulation from any hemisphere simply by applying acupressure to the already dull unit of glucose and liquid.

oops, am I vexing again.

23. blondepoet profile image67
    blondepoetposted 13 years ago

Ehhh!!!!

24. mega1 profile image81
    mega1posted 13 years ago

cecilia - to elaborate on Habee's comment about interpreters and to hopefully help you realize something:

There are in every society certain people who for various reasons, not their own fault, are slower than normal people.  These people often go on to contribute valued service to their community, have personalities that can light up a room, are generous of spirit, kind, and etc.  They just don't think fast. So yes, people do work as helpers, counselors, sort of what you can think of as "interpreters" to help these people communicate better and live fruitfully in the community.  The people who take these jobs are also generous personalities who enjoy doing this service and often volunteer to do it without compensation, altho there are many who are paid to help the "slow" ones.  We usually call these people "developmentally disabled" and that covers a huge number of disabilities. Which is why I hate the word stupid - I think it reveals so much about the person who uses it.  So before you label someone stupid look again because now that you are educated about this, you have no excuse for labelling out of your own ignorance!  Even in the forums where we assume we are all at least quasi-educated, and we have spirited discussions and often poke at each other, I really think it isn't a good idea to use the label "stupid"!

1. mega1 profile image81

oh, and also, you may be familiar with the term dyslexic - which refers to people who have a very real problem reading and writing because their brains just don't interprete letters and words properly - sometimes they also have incredible psychological problems because they were labelled "stupid" when they were very young and ridiculed because they had trouble learning.  You might meet someone like this and they might have trouble talking to you - it doesn't mean they are "stupid" and may, indeed, have a great deal of knowledge and skills that so-called "normal" people couldn't begin to compete with! 

This is all said in the spirit of love and compassion for you cecilia - I know you didn't mean to hurt anyone, here.  It's just that things aren't always so simple as you might think!  and people aren't either!

Okay are we turning this into a serious discussion because I'm losing my sense of humour.

Serous or not don't lose your sense of humour because someone is trying to poison your character here - it is a trait of very few people with many avatars on here to ry to make you look bad by putting some constructed slant on what you say - ignore the poisonous trolls and just get on with being happy.  Apparently elsewhere I am responsible for all the evils that have befallen women over all of time !   and me such a great lover big_smile big_smile

You know, just by this brilliant statement of validation which filled me with a sense of relief. I actually can tell you're trouble...(staying on topic) Women are stupid for these kinds of maneuvers. smile

Well said, thank you.

25. mega1 profile image81
    mega1posted 13 years ago

"This forum is designed to crack jokes and poke fun at stupid/smart people and not really a serious discussion on the subject matter"  cecilia said - so I got serious anyhow, because I don't see how poking fun at "people" is entertaining - just doesn't make much sense.  seems like a waste of time.  seems ignorant.

I don't agree completely with your sentiments.  I always enjoyed the old Dean Martin and Don Rickles "Roasts" on TV.  She said it was a for poking fun.  Geesh! Lighten up!

1. mega1 profile image81

I think I thought Don Rickles and Dean Martin were very funny when they roasted each other and others of their friends because they knew each other very well and gave each other permission to be really skanky with each other - it was hysterical - but when you don't know somebody very well, if at all, and you label them "stupid" without any qualifiers, then that's just not funny!  Sarah Palin has a lot of mannerisms and misinformation that, when you quote or imitate her, are very fun - when
        Tina Fey does it - it is funny.  She's a celebrity - they both are and we tend to "poke fun" at celebrities and they expect it and sometimes its funny.  I think its a good idea to say so, when you don't find a thread funny, and I will continue to do so. usually giving exhaustive reasons and boring you all to sleep!

You are entitled to your opinion, of course!  And if you choose to be boring, that is your right too!

Duh........

C'mon mega. Give me a break, k? I'm just having a silly mood.

You know what, stupid and smart are funny words because they are shallow. Children use it to describe taking a bath. It is about people who want to make fun of themselves as stupid or smart or both. I would rather have a place for people to poke fun at stupid and smart than have them infiltrate serious discussions with their need  to just point out the obvious. Corny people are stupid, okay? If you're corny, you (not you, corny people in general) don't get invited to the hip party... you're generally just avoided friday night.

You've probably never been to a nerd party either where the fun starts when the nerdy thin people with an IQ above 150 starts poking fun at jocks who can't figure out the simple problem of xsquared plus ysquared equals zsquared at values 1 and 2 but not any other number.

Set up a WHY STUPID is a bad word forum, and then moralize there.

But it's okay if  you stay and continue to take offense over nothing. Nobody is calling anyone stupid except themselves and yes, Sarah Palin.

1. mega1 profile image81

hell, if you had called this thread "how stupid is that Sarah Palin?"  I would have really probably thought it was on its way to being funny.  But that's just because I don't like her, not because I think she's in any way funny. 

You don't know me well enough to tell me I need to relax!  I can live without either the "hip" parties or the "geek"  parties - ditto the "labeller" parties, but IF I ever need someone who knows how to label and make great huge generalizations I know where to find one! 

THIS is how I relax, silly!

Oh I'm big on generalizations! It's a bad habit. I agree. But it has its advantages. smile

26. ceciliabeltran profile image65

Okay there are also smart people who can tell Monkeying around from Serious Discussions.

If you want to talk about intelligence and communicating with mentally disabled or even emotionally challenged people there are  Health Forums and Knowledge and Education Forums.

This forum is strictly for poking fun at smart and stupid. Because it is funny, hence it's under ENTERTAINMENT and the elementary words SMART and STUPID. If it were a serious discussion, it will be labelled:

Intelligence, how does low IQ impact communication?

My guess is no one would come.

Then perhaps the 'poking fun' intent should have been relayed in the topic and/or the original post.  Targeting it to the 'entertainment' section should have found it entertaining, but that was not the case, go figure, I guess many of us are just plain stupid. smile

It would appear using the label 'stupid' is offensive to many, regardless of the 'entertainment' factor. I'm glad to see that, it indicates a lot of 'smart' people are on hub pages.

Further, the definition of the 'elementary' words of 'smart' and 'stupid' must be understood, even for appropriate 'entertainment'.

okay at this point, I will have to say it....DUH

You are not stupid okay, you need to relax and do laughing yoga sometimes. No one is stupid here, is that clear?

Now back to Stupid.

I wonder why that word sounds stupid, i mean it probably caught on because the phonetic sound "stupid" is so apt to what it is describing.
          LOL!

Yeah, a 'stupid' person would say 'duh', so good to see you defending them.  Remember, lots of stupid people are quite educated........  smile

And if you wanted this to be a social discussion about tossing smart and stupid labels around in regard to your own party life compared to others.....you should have said so quickly and ended all further serious discussion of your 'topic'. 

I'm glad to see the word 'stupid' raises the ire of some.  Do you know yet what the word means outside your social circle?

Err.. I'm sorry. OK, feel free to express how you feel and state your point and when I'm talking to you I will respond appropriately. I guess this topic is very important to you because some experience with opportunistic people with advanced education?

The thing is trusting is not "stupid". It is trusting. Now if somebody abuses that trust, they are not acting with foresight, so by definition  they are not being "smart".

I wouldn't blame anyone for the unfortunate thing that happened but I would strive to learn from that and maybe help prevent that from happening to other people again.

I'm so sorry I was so busy monkeying around with some old forum folks I've met in religious hubs that I realized it's the first time you're seeing me.

So for introductions, I am spirituality writer and science writer.
            I also have a lot of aikido friends who I miss since I moved and it sometimes nice to monkey around with men's irreverent humour when lately I'm just around mommies with babies.

That said, I apologize for missing your cues and should have treated you delicately. smile

Duh (such a great one syllable expression)......you addressed nothing I said.  Or at the very least, I'm so 'stupid' I completely don't get the point of a single thing you said. Poor me.

There, you've made your point, I'm not you social equal, I must be a boring and 'stupid' person that would be laughed at come party time.  I'm okay with that.  smile 

So, do you now understand what the difference is between 'stupid' and 'ignorant'?  Hope so. 

Party on...on your sick day.

Oh okay, umm...Yeah stupid is not the same as ignorant. Ignorance is a consequence of lack of exposure and stupid is being rash and not thinking ahead. I agree. smile

Dang, you are such a 'smart' person that you have now redefined the term 'stupid'... we will all look for that in the next government sanctioned school dictionary.   New definition of stupid -- being rash and not thinking ahead....ummmmmmmm (another really 'smart' word) I guess that means I should start calling my sisters 'stupid' again, whether my Dad would object or not.....no, don't think so, guess I'm just too corny and smart, and you are much too adolescent, it would set a bad example.

what do you want from me, dear? I'm trying to take you seriously and you're still mad. Stupid is really being rash...I got it from websters. You do a stupid thing if you did not think it through.

I mean, I really really have nothing against you because I don't know you. I see you're a breeder with probably interesting hubs but
                    I never said you're corny per se. (did I?)

You know this thread is actually funnier because you are providing the straight faced non comedienne contrast.

So does mean I can horse around with you now. you're still here.

How about cow around, is that more to your liking?

North Texas and South Texas?  Just a joke! (disclaimer)

???????  interesting commentary, perhaps you should at this point explain thoroughly....I'm so stupid I don't have any idea what 'cues' from me you have missed and thus feel the need to treat me 'delicately'.

? really bad day, I guess. smile

For you, honey.

yes it is a bit, you made me sad sad

So, still waiting, please do explain, I'm much too delicate to be critiqued in this manner without explanation....and terribly curious.  Tell us all what you meant.  If, that is, your sickness permits your continued contribution to this oh so funny topic.

it's not funny anymore, apparently.  I have no idea what you're so angry about,seriously so I have nothing to say. I was trying to listen.

Don't worry too much, people from Texas still think Dubya was smart!

No, you clearly referenced 'cues' of mine and my 'delicate' something or other, so let's have it, what exactly were you referring to.

The use of the term 'breeder' in reference to me was apt, as I do 'breed' registered cows, but, I doubt it was an innocent reference.  Show us how 'jokey' your mind works, how 'smart' you are.

2. mega1 profile image81

I'm gonna try it and see.  I just don't have the same kinda sense of humor you have, doesn't say anything about your intelligence or otherwise.  Don't appreciate the humor of calling anyone, no matter what their status in society is, stupid!  that's all I'm saying.  You don't have to defend your intentions - I could see that you thought you were funny.

Right!  And I could see you thought you were being dramatic!  To each her own!LOL

yes, i've been laughing myself silly since i've been reading the responses. It is a party for people sick of corny.

Corny!  Now you've gone too far!  This is an insult to all of the corny people on HP.

*snickering* glad I could count on you! he he he

1. mega1 profile image81

I would never try to poison anyone's character.  enuf said.

I put that thread up - someone responded, for what its worth.  I doubt if it will go very far!

I apologize if I made you stop laughing.  Most of the time all I do is try to make people laugh - so that makes me sad that my being serious brought you down a little.  sorry.  my intentions were actually good.  I just got carried away - as usual.

please go on with your snickering and have a great night/day whatever it is there.

Thanks mega, I appreciate it. I should sleep soon though. smile

3. Friendlyword profile image59

Thank you for clearing that up Cecilia.  I joined Hubpages because of all the smart people (Writers) on it. Stupid people cannot retain the lessons they learn. I'm not a writer. I actually have a GED. But I learn so much here on the Hubs and forums. So please, bare with me and all the other stupid and arrogant people that think you would actually want to spread your knowledge. How stupid of me.

"I'm not a writer. I actually have a GED"

What do the two have to do with each other?

27. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 13 years ago

Well I'm glad we agree that "stupid is as stupid does!"smile

What did you do?

1. profile image0
        sneakorocksolidposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I sold your car, sorry.smile

Ha! You proved your point!  The trunk was full of cookies! LOL

1. profile image0
            sneakorocksolidposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh No! I'm ruined! Woe is me!big_smile

*snickering*

28. ceciliabeltran profile image65

Now back to Stupid... LOL!

Okay I get it, what about I change the word to LOSER? Is that better? *snickers some more*

Don't start on republicans either!

Randy, you saved my life *snickers* I feel like a total LOSER laughing here by myself but yeah, it does drive the sore throat pain away.

Taking the high road is easy for some folks.  They never stop to think why they laugh when someone does something STUPID!  Do you actually believe Mega has never said or done anything she would have considered stupid?  We all have at one time or another, it may not have occurred because we were actually stupid, but it happened just the same.

Gee, the drama people seem to be in full force today!

I  know right?  I thought I left that in the Religion forums and evolution forums. but i guess its in every forum.

2. alternate poet profile image67

Aren't they just !!!    but at least they are demonstrating how stupid works - as they are not bright enough to make a contribution then take pretend offense over some imagined slight and just get back to the smart-a*s quips and insults.

True!  Some act as if we know them personally and actually believe everything they say.  If not, they take a "how dare you not take me seriously" attitude.  It makes one wonder how they deal with real life situations with such a dull sense of humor.

Well, it is actually proven that people deprived of serotonin would not have the receptors for it later on, so when their brain senses a joke, they can't laugh. They're biologically impaired to laugh.

(i'm saying proven and biologically again and using scientific names, i'm losing it...say something)

sometimes you accidentally shame them and they never forget it. So no matter what you say, you're marked for life.

I kinda know who you're talking about. that person has some serious issues! I mean...really.

3. ceciliabeltran profile image65

I think (and Mega, this is also for you) it was just she was under the impression it was another hub and got started getting serious so...she did say there was something misleading about the title but I thought the initial statement I made was enough cue that is was for monkeying around.

Much.

29. mega1 profile image81
    mega1posted 13 years ago

think I'll just sit back and count the labels - stupid, smart, geek, breeder!

You forgot "drama queen!"

*sigh*

mega don't apologize and then judge again, it's not cool.

1. mega1 profile image81

well, I did feel a little bad for being compulsively over protective back there - way back there when I asked you to think a little - before I realized you had defined ignorant as what you yourself were doing - before I realized that you were going to be like so many others and label people things like "breeder" and then go blissfully on claiming just to want a good laugh.  If people don't agree with your brand of humor, they have a right to say so.  There have been times when people have generously pointed out that some action or heedless words I've made were not funny or smart or intelligence and they helped me learn.  I am all for people helping me learn.  What can I learn from you tonight?  from your brand of humor?  If I don't find you funny and/or want to warn you that you might actually be offensive - is that such a bad thing?  I don't know you - and you and I both are revealing alot about ourselves in this thread - so I guess I am learning things about you, but I will keep an open mind - maybe it was word selection, because I still don't think you had the intention to put anyone down, originally, except Sarah Palin.  but then you really did start putting people down!

really? When? When did I put anyone down? Geez...Is breeder a bad word. She had a cow in her picture. Only a breeder or a farmer would do that.

You know Mega. I'm sure you're a nice person. Maybe we're just swimming in different neuro-soups today so I'll call it a night.

But I'm trying to be nice to her, I just don't know what exactly she's being angry about.

30. mega1 profile image81
    mega1posted 13 years ago

as for breeder - wtf - breeder, when I've heard the term before, was in reference to someone being of low IQ who, unable to do anything else, made babies and not much else - and you can't go saying s**t like that to people you've just met without stirring up some tempers!

OH is that what that means? I was looking at the cow and the name and thinking maybe she has a business breeding cattle.

Really? You wouldn't be dishonest now, would you?

It is the first time I heard that spin on that word, seriously! I'm not from here.

I've been called a snake because of my choice of avatars.  I fully expect it and so should others who post an avatar with any kind of creature present.  I don't see you as a "hummer" though!  Too cheerful sounding a word!

what's a hummer and how did you get such a high score!

I was referring to Mega's hummingbird as a joke.  I got the 100 because I'm not as stupid as a snake!  Just as deadly though!

I've seen your hubs they were way intensely written and the photos are yours! Are you thinking of writing a book about that place? It seems you have sufficiently established yourself as an authority.

2. TheGlassSpider profile image64

I've been under the impression that snakes were symbolic of wisdom...not stupid at all wink

You are among the few, it seems!  LOL

Hehe...well you know "normal" is over-rated. wink

Wish I knew for sure, never been normal myself!

2. mega1 profile image81

that's a kite - hunting - not a hummer.  Although I don't really identify with this beautiful kite - I just photographed him out there one morning and wanted to share his graceful beauty.  btw I find snakes awesomely beautiful and graceful too - and if you're identifying with that one - are you anywhere near as beautiful and enduring as it is?  if so I adore you!

31. profile image0
    King Larryposted 13 years ago

sure it's possible.  Hell, i talk to you folks on hubpages, now don't i?  lollollol tongue

that can go both ways you know. LOL!

1. profile image0
        King Larryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

true.  lollollol however, only one of us can be right.  wink lol

he he he!

zzzzzz...i'm sleepy. see if anyone comes knocking around these parts tomorrow.

32. freeeasycoupons profile image60
    freeeasycouponsposted 13 years ago

Yes because Stupid want to know that but think of Smart.

33. ediggity profile image60
    ediggityposted 13 years ago

I like pudding.

34. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years ago

lol

35. aware profile image68
    awareposted 13 years ago

Can you re roof your house?

36. Randy Godwin profile image59
    Randy Godwinposted 13 years ago

Got any worms?

37. profile image49
    Dorin Goodfellowposted 13 years ago

LMAO

This is the best forum topic I've ever read.

Great here isn't it ! big_smile

All goes to prove as whover said,  "never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with their experience"

1. Rajab Nsubuga profile image60
        Rajab Nsubugaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Interestingly, no one is refering this question to Greek one.

38. cindyvine profile image70
    cindyvineposted 13 years ago

The question should be, 'Can smart people really be bothered to listen to people they deem are stupid?'

yes - smart people listen to religious people all day long in these forums !!  big_smile

1. profile image0
        kimberlyslyricsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Must agree

still feeling stupid though hmm:

1. slowpokevoyager profile image66
          slowpokevoyagerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Define the term stupid, please. From what I have been taught, stupid is how someone acts. Not their intelligence. Ignorance is bread from education; not stupidity. You can be intelligent and do stupid stuff.

1. profile image0
            kimberlyslyricsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

big_smile

39. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 11 years ago

To put it succinctly-no!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)