jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (5 posts)

Is Diversity Hollywood's biggest problem, or is it a failure to create good movi

1. bradmasterOCcal profile image31
    bradmasterOCcalposted 24 months ago

Is Diversity Hollywood's biggest problem, or is it a failure to create good movies?

The Academy has never been the judge of good talent, and good movies, as evidenced by its failure to award the great stars, and the best movies. It is like a restaurant critic picking a five star meal, that most people wouldn't eat, even if they could afford it.
    The world of movies today is one of recycling old movies, and making everything found in comic books a movie or TV show.

As far as reality, if I wanted to watch something based on real events, then I would be watching the news.The ? asks which is the bigger prob, Diversity or the failure to provide Good products.

2. tamarawilhite profile image91
    tamarawilhiteposted 24 months ago

Affirmative action that favors demographics over quality hurts the product quality, as well as ensures everyone will be suspicious of any movie nominated.
    It is like minorities hired under affirmative action facing concerns that they were hired only to meet the quota instead of their ability, because standards might have been lowered to let them in. The female fire fighters in NYC getting in on lower physical standards and injured in their first week or filling fire safety rolls instead of on the truck are a good example. As is the fact that blacks can get into Ivy League schools with SAT scores several hundred points lower than Asians, causing any black at those schools to be assumed as less capable.

1. bradmasterOCcal profile image31
      bradmasterOCcalposted 24 months agoin reply to this

I agree, and can we make that same case for the Oscar Diversity?

2. tamarawilhite profile image91
      tamarawilhiteposted 24 months agoin reply to this

The solution for black actors and directors is higher quality work, whether for a niche audience or broad one - not demanding lower standards and set-asides.

3. bradmasterOCcal profile image31
      bradmasterOCcalposted 24 months agoin reply to this

Tamara
      We are in total agreement here. Thanks

Closed to reply

working