Why are there so many talented music artists who are still underrated in the ind

1. CaitBooth profile image87
    CaitBoothposted 19 months ago

Why are there so many talented music artists who are still underrated in the industry?

I can never understand why artists that have impressive vocals, catchy songs, and heart-stopping performances can go being not only underrated, but are ridiculed for being unpopular. For some reason, artists with almost zero talent (outside of autotune) and poor songwriting skills take over the radio and charts these days.

Thoughts on this?

2. lions44 profile image99
    lions44posted 19 months ago

Great question.

It's technology and the way we listen to popular music.  For those under 30, it is especially true.  There are so many great artists out there but they have to bypass the traditional route to success.  Record labels don't foster talent or have large stables of talent anymore.  They can't, it is cost prohibitive.  The era of rock bands is probably over, like Gene Simmons has said.  Even Daryl Hall has advised up and coming groups to go right to the people with their music using all available technological means.

Other than college radio and maybe stations like The End here in Seattle, I don't know a lot of stations giving new bands airplay (or even established indie bands like The Decemberists, etc.).  Everything I hear on the radio is from 1979 to 1995. That's its.  All geared toward people my age (over 35).

3. nochance profile image93
    nochanceposted 19 months ago

Money. A lot of these terrible artists have enough money to pay for their fame.

Whereas underrated artists usually aren't willing to get taken advantage of just for fame.