Was Moulin Rouge over rated?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 12 years ago

Okay, I'm sure most of you have heard about the movie that brought back musicals, but is it over rated?  To be honest, I can't comment because it's been years since I've seen the film; thus I don't have an opinion on the movie at this time.  However, I do watch the Nostalgia Critic quite frequently, as he's infamously known to take very very bad movies from the 80's, 90's and early 2000's, and he basically makes fun of them while reviewing them.  Granted, all his reviews are biased, but he's very entertaining nonetheless. 

However, I just finished watching his latest review of "Moulin Rouge" (By the way, that's how I got my inspiration to ask you all to list your top ten guilty pleasure films to watch. wink ), and although he did have other guest critics on his channel to review it with him that liked it, he made a lot of good points to cite the film is over rated, and it's hard to argue against those points from what he showed of the movie.  Here's a link if you guys want to watch his review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnND9bV9rfM

However, what are your thoughts on Moulin Rouge?  Was it over rated?  Or do you think that this movie did live up to the hype back in the day?  Please explain your answer.

1. Cara.R profile image66
      Cara.Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The first time I watched Moulin Rouge I thought it was over rated. Every time I went to watch it I ended up getting a Migraine. Sounds kind of funny but kind of sad. I really wanted to watch the film. A few years later I watched it again and enjoyed it. Then I watched a show on the making of the film and loved it more. If anything it will be a cult classic.

1. profile image0
        Stevennix2001posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well, that's understandable.  I remember when I first saw "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire", I honestly thought the film wasn't that great.  If anything, I felt it was a giant step back for the franchise after how well "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban" was made.  However, after watching the film more, I've actually grown to like it, to where now I actually think it's a good movie.  Isn't it funny how sometimes we initially hate something, but later on in life, we end up liking it?  I guess life is funny sometimes.

2. CarltheCritic1291 profile image67
      CarltheCritic1291posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, Nostalgia Critic does have entertaining reviews and makes some good points about why a movie is bad, but he can be a little over the top himself.
      As for "Moulin Rouge", the story might have been really cheesy at times, but it's not the worst. Nichole Kidman was nominated for an Oscar for her performance and I after watching the movie I was like "...why?" But there are three main things that the film does infamously, and those are 1) rip off every good song ever written and force them into the story some how, and 2) the editing which was really fast, (when you make a movie typically a shot needs to be seen for 5 seconds, unless you make a music video) and 3) Ewan McGregor's singing voice. Baz Luhrmann is a good director, but he made another movies similar to this "Romeo + Juliette" which viewers responded to with praise at the time but is also over rated. There are some good qualities that the film has (production design, choreography, cinematography, costume design, and overall visual arts). Occasionally I'll listen to the films renditions to the songs, which are not horrible, but funny (though I don't think it was meant to be.) For me, "Moulin Rouge" is like the original "Conan the Barbarian" movie (1982), "Judge Dredd" (1995), or "Dead Silence" (2007) they are not particularly good, but there are a few things that I love about them that makes me want to watch them. Hope this answers your question.

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Never watched.

I don't think that needs explanation. lol

1. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Good to know. I watched it a long time ago, but I don't remember it too well, so that needs no explanation either. wink lollol

3. Thorn058 profile image69
    Thorn058posted 12 years ago

That is a tough call. I don't think it rebooted a once proud genre of cinema but rather made it more accessible to a more increasingly media savy audience. It can't compare to such classic as Oklahoma, Seven Brides, South Pacific, Singing in the Rain and so on, however it it did aspire to be like those films I don't think it would hold the audience. What Baz Luhrmann did do was blend his storytelling in with pop music and some new songs to craft a marketable movie. It was able to get people to accept that hey i can go and see a "musical" and come away humming.

One thing I will say for the film is that without it I don't think we get to the current time when TV shows such as Glee or reality shows like the Sing off are on the small screen. I think it got people thinking about musicals once again and not just in the theater but as a mainstream genre.

4. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

I think most Hollywood movies are overrated. I didn't like it the first time I saw it, but I'm a fan of Nicole Kidman and Paris, so after visitng Paris and seeing the Moulin Rouge and the Pigalle district, I grew to love it - but yes, it was overrated. There are some great songs in the movie, love Lady Marmalade!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ahha3Cqe_fk

Come What May
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvJpJl04 … re=related

5. vmartinezwilson profile image79
    vmartinezwilsonposted 12 years ago

I thought the storyline for the film was quite good, however the acting and directing were mediocre at best.  I do feel the movie was overrated and there are two very specific reasons for that. 

The first reason was that a lot of people and Hollywood were HIGHLY swept up in Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman's divorce, siding for the most part with Kidman.  They seemed to adore every movie she was no matter how limp a performance she gave, with the exception of The Others.  Why didn't she get better reviews for The Others?  It was produced by Tom Cruise and came out at the same time as Moulin Rouge.  It was, in my opinion, a highly sucessful movie because the narrative, acting and directing were good.  I remember a lot of reviews about the film specifically noting how great Nicole Kidman looked and how liberated she seemed.  Let's ignore the fact that she was still married when the film was made, but there you go.

The second reason the film did so well was the Ewan McGreggor was in the middle of his part of the Star Wars series as well as Rogue Trader and Black Hawk Down.  He was one of the hot actors at the time and when you include Nicole Kidman, who was the hot actress, your chances for a smash film increased tenfold.

As a bonus, the song Lady Marmalade by Pink, Lil Kim and Christina Aguilara was/is an outstanding song.  That can never hurt a film.  The songs in the movie?  Not so much.  I'll be happy if I never have to hear Nicole Kidman sing again.

6. optimus grimlock profile image60
    optimus grimlockposted 12 years ago

its a gay musical what do you expect!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)