Do bands sell out, or do some simply mature?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (16 posts)
  1. 910chris profile image75
    910chrisposted 12 years ago

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/6221979_f248.jpg
    This is a question that I have been asked many times. I say the answer has a lot to do with the band itself. Like with a lot of things, every band is different. I would like to ask what are your viewpoints and answers to this question.

1. The Music Man profile image61
      The Music Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My favorite answer all time to "Did you sell out?" was given by Metallica drummer Lars Ulrich. When asked if Metallica sold out, he said, "Yes, we sell out every seat in the house, every night."

910chrisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

To bad he helped put the nail in the coffin of Napster.

1. The Music Man profile image61
          The Music Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Agreed. lol

2. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

The nature of the business is sell-out.

1. Stacie L profile image88
      Stacie Lposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Eventually everyone has to grow old and mature...acting like a 21 year old  kid ,gyrating your hips as a 60 year old bald man ,is not attractive! lol

That's good stuff! Kinda like Mick Jagger.

2. couturepopcafe profile image60
        couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Unless you have the moves like Jagger.

3. Pearldiver profile image66
        Pearldiverposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh tell that to the 20 - 70 year old groupies who think musos like Mick Jagger and Englebert Humpyadink are still worthy of patting their cats! smile big_smile

3. TheMagician profile image87
    TheMagicianposted 12 years ago

It doesn't completely depends on the band alone.

When it comes to entertainment companies, they're (95% of the time) looking to turn a profit and squeeze a band's 15 minutes for all they can get out of them before needing to find a new act or totally revamping their image/style/genre. Like I said though, not EVERY label is looking to do this. There are quite a few who are looking to just share their music with the rest of society and are alright barely making a profit or just getting by (I'm more into the alternative, ska and punk scenes of music, and many small-scale labels that revolve around this music are of the good 5%, namely Bridge Nine Records). Either way, when record companies get so big, they HAVE to turn a massive profit in order to survive, so... just how it works, unfortunately.

As for bands, they're another story, and can greatly be influenced by the record companies. Lots and lots of musicians start out just to make music and enjoy playing it, but after receiving attention and offers from major labels with promises of big bucks, it's hard for them to turn away. They might try all they can to retain their original image and sound, but more often than not they lose, in turn pissing off a lot of their fans. This happens a lot in the punk music world. Way too often.

An example that comes to mind right off the top of my head is the band Against Me... you've probably heard their single on the radio a few years back called "Thrash Unreal", it's hard for anyone not to have heard it since it was played so much. They were an anarchist-punk band from Florida, and were one of the biggest bands in the scene, but in time they joined major labels who tried to change their sound. It began to work until they realized they were being changed, and left the label to pursue their own label to put their music out on. In the past couple of years they've gone from large label-funded world tours to self promotion and playing shows like they did 10 years before. I'm proud of them smile

I found them with their single "Losing Touch". They are a great band. It is very hard to find a band with a real message in there lyric's. "From her lips to God's ear" is my all time favorite from them.

1. TheMagician profile image87
        TheMagicianposted 12 years agoin reply to this

They're one of my alltime favorite bands, and you're right, it is hard to find bands with real messages in their lyrics. Thankfully they've got enough to spare smile  "Losing Touch" is favorite of mine. That album was during their more "label-oppressed" times, but oppressed or not, they've always had great music... even though their really early messages mostly just involved hating the government lol  They grew out of that though, reformed-anarchists smile

4. couturepopcafe profile image60
    couturepopcafeposted 12 years ago

Like most of us, "They started out so young and strong only to surrender."

5. TheHeavyReview profile image68
    TheHeavyReviewposted 12 years ago

Yes, they sell out.  It's plain and simple.  Metallica are a prime example because they sold out after their most progressive album, therefore they didn't mature.  Another example would be Nightwish.  They used to play around with their song structures a lot more, but since "Century Child" they've used simpler riffs and poppy structures.

Despite all that I've written, a true sell-out band is one who still tries to have crossover appeal.  Both of the bands I've mentioned still maintain heavy riffs, although they're extremely polished, which is an example of trying for a crossover appeal.

My final point is that selling out doesn't make a band bad... it just makes them sell-outs.

Yes, like Mudvayne or Korn, SLIPKNOT!! I get what your saying, and I think your right. At the same time, I do believe that some bands actually do mature, I guess like Blink-182 (or maybe they grew out of it) or even the deftones.  Some are in it for the money to begin with, so for some bands, they preemptivly sell out.

1. TheHeavyReview profile image68
        TheHeavyReviewposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree, lots of bands do mature.  Many of them mature before they sell out, which makes it even more noticeable.  I also agree that many bands are in it for the money to begin with.  I can't necessarily blame them, but they are sellouts to begin with.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)