Effects of Family Dynamics on Children

1. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 10 months ago

In multichild families of 6 or more children, parents oftentimes cannot devote adequate &/or individualized time, love, attention, & most of all socioeconomic resources to each of their children.  Furthermore, in such families, there is marked leaning towards favoritism towards some children & not others.  There is also a greater tendency to disfavor some children, even going far as to scapegoat these children.  In large multichild families, there is NO equal treatment as there are in smaller families(2-4 children).  In families of 6 or more children, there WILL be preferential treatment of some children & quite DIFFERENTIAL treatment of other children.  In such families, oldest &/or older children will NEVER have their needs.  They are at best IGNORED, even DISCARDED in favor of younger siblings.  In essence, they are considered to be non-entities until they are deemed useful by their parents &/or younger siblings.  They AREN'T valued nor appreciated for themselves.  It is the younger children in such families who will have ALL of their needs met.

1. lovetherain profile image81
      lovetherainposted 10 months agoin reply to this

Please link to studies that prove any of that is true.

1. gmwilliams profile image86
        gmwilliamsposted 10 months agoin reply to this

I have read books on family dynamics, particularly on large families.  I have also witnessed such situations firsthand from extended family members & friends.   Oldest &/or older children have IT THE HARDEST, their needs AREN'T ever met & they are easily discarded until pressed into the servitude of their parents & siblings.  Forget about middle children, they FALL through the familial cracks.   Youngest children seem to have IT MADE in large families.    I don't have any links but I have studied family dynamics & the large family is a rocky dynamic.  There are incidences of favoritism in such families.   

All in all, in multichild families, there are incidences of parental favoritism, preferential & differential treatment.  While in smaller multichild families of 2-4 children, there is more or less equal treatment of oldest, middle, & youngest children.   However, in large families of 6 &/or more children, there is increased parental favoritism, more children vying for parental attention/love/resources, & marked incidences of preferential & differential treatment of children w/oldest children getting the shaft so to speak.