jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

How do you think your pet affects your family dynamics?

1. buckleupdorothy profile image83
    buckleupdorothyposted 5 years ago

How do you think your pet affects your family dynamics?

What role or position does your pet hold in your family? How much do you think your family  life affects them?

2. Mmargie1966 profile image93
    Mmargie1966posted 5 years ago

My house would be so lonely and empty without my pets.  I have children, but they are grown and out on their own.

My husband and I love our cats and are looking for a dog as well.  It is proven that animals can be soothing and comforting.  They also reduce loneliness.  I recommend everyone have at least 1 pet.

I plan to write a hub on rescue animals soon...stay tuned smile

3. ChristinS profile image94
    ChristinSposted 5 years ago

We lost our oldest friend a few months ago and I always knew he was an important part of our lives, but I didn't realize how much of a hole in our family his loss would mean for all of us.  When our buddy died it's the second time I saw my partner cry, the first was when his mom was diagnosed with cancer.  he's always very stoic and he was deeply saddened.  We all lost a best friend and a fellow traveler's soul that was with us through both of the boys lives.  He was "just a cat" in some peoples eyes, but after 15 years he was a deeply rooted family member.  Even my close friend grieved for him when he passed.  We miss him all the time and talk about his antics.  I think our pets are often more a part of us than we realize.  Our Sam was pretty much king of the castle and he knew it lol - he was very spoiled and very loved.  He would run to the car to greet us when we came home just like a dog would.  He was such a sweetie. I know that Sam and our family were deeply affected by one another and hopefully we brought as much joy to him as he did to us.

4. StephanieBCrosby profile image86
    StephanieBCrosbyposted 5 years ago

At first my cat, Calista, was a single child. So, she had a very special position in the family (just my husband and myself at the time). My husband cannot stand cats, so she is a symbol of his love for me (he just wanted to shut me up)!

Now she has two siblings, my real children. But her place is still special. She helps me teach my children skills like sharing (taking turns helping to comb her hair), how to be nice (not petting to hard), and how to do chores (helping to feed her). I say it works great since my kids are only 2 and 3 and people can't believe how well they get along and behave.

Calista loves the attention she gets now. At one point I was so bogged down in work that I was completely ignoring her, besides feeding and changing litter. But now my kids can come to the rescue to keep her company. So, having a pet is a win-win.

5. Becky Katz profile image84
    Becky Katzposted 5 years ago

Our dog is a well loved member of the family. We know when we come home, he will be at the end of the couch, grinning and waiting to greet us, even if we forgot to bring him some goodies. We know that he will play games with dad when he tries to get in bed. (He lays on the bed so dad can't get in bed. I have to go coax him over.) He always loves us even when we have to punish him and all he wants in return is to be fed, watered and walked. He is young now but it will be hell when he goes. He has made himself indispensable.

working