jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Preparing to adopt a child. Necessary information. Being/getting qualified to be

1. LowellWriter profile image77
    LowellWriterposted 8 years ago

Preparing to adopt a child. Necessary information. Being/getting qualified to be an adoptive parent.

How to go about it. What should one know before starting the process. Anything and everything.

2. Bornagain profile image60
    Bornagainposted 8 years ago

It has been quite some time since my wife and I have adopted.  One thing you do have that wasn't very readily available when we began the process is tons of internet information.  State laws concerning adoption vary from state to state.  You are starting off correctly, though.  It is wise to ask questions.  Go to some of the adoption websites and hubs written by adoptive parents for more information and learn of their experiences.  I believe the single most important thing for getting or being qualified is the fact that you truly want to have a child.  I don't know if it will be of much value to you, but just to get an idea, you might want to read my hub explaining my adoption experience.  It is in two parts and is quite lengthy.  Good-luck in your endeavors.

3. Ladybythelake55 profile image56
    Ladybythelake55posted 8 years ago

The state adoption agency has no real intention of giving the adopting parents all the vital information regarding the chiidls' true and natural parents because if they did they would not  be able to place a child into a new adoptive home in the first place and the adopter would be able to throw the child the adopt back into the same system they tookt he child out in the first place.

4. profile image45
    albertmusoliniposted 6 years ago

If you are prepare for adopting a child than you have to knowledge of adoption agencies and its works.
    visit http://adoptfamilyconnections.org/

5. flacoinohio profile image81
    flacoinohioposted 4 years ago

My wife and I just started the adoption process.  We contacted "Family and Children's Services" to start the process.  In Ohio the first step is to take 36 hours of "training".  We have already completed two weekends worth of "training", we have one weekend training session left.  When we are finished we will be licensed foster/adoptive parents.  We have received our application adopt packet to complete, it is about 8 pages long but requires a lot of detailed information to be provided.  Next comes background checks, financial checks, and the home inspection.  When I have more information I will share it.  As far as the training, it is mostly resource and generalized information, it is not a class to teach participants how to be foster/adoptive parents but what to expect from children.   It also tends to be more of a self assessment tool.

working