If there is a stay at home mom/dad in the house, should the spouse also partake

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)
  1. YeahISaidIt profile image57
    YeahISaidItposted 14 years ago

If there is a stay at home mom/dad in the house, should the spouse also partake in household chores?

2. Kebennett1 profile image59
    Kebennett1posted 14 years ago

Absolutely. It takes two people to take care of children and a household. While one is at work away from the home, then the other is working in the home, caring for the children, the home, doing the errands, etc... It is work! When both are at home, they are still on the job. Having a home and a family is a 24 hour a day job. There is no reason for one person to do that job alone. You must understand what each other goes through each day while away from each other and working. Have respect for the magnitude of that work. Then you will have respect for what it takes to continue working at home. Divide the work carefully, thoughtfully taking into consideration each persons strengths and weaknesses. If it makes one person throw up to clean out a toilet, then the other person should care enough to step in and say, hey no problem I can take on that job! If one person has a bad back, or a good health reason why they shouldn't take out the trash, they the other needs to be compassionate and do it. When one is not feeling well, or exhausted from an abnormally tough day, the other can cook! It is all about respect, give and take. You are help-mates.

3. profile image57
    Melissa Petersposted 14 years ago

Yes.  If for no other reason than to make sure the stay at home mom/dad doesn't feel taken advantage of or like a servent. Both people committed to the marriage and both people should help.

4. YeahISaidIt profile image57
    YeahISaidItposted 14 years ago

Kebennett1 and Melissa Peters, I thank the both of you for responding to this question. I must say that both of your answers were great ones, and I couldn't agree with the both of you more! Kebennett1, you hit the nail on the head with cleaning the toilet and taking out the trash comments. I personally have the toilet problem, and I had this problem long before my husband and I got married. This is a problem that he knew about before we were living together and I can honestly say he does not care that I go through this. So thank you both for letting me know that I'm not just making a big deal about nothing. Melissa Peters, I thank you for making the comment about feeling taken advantage of and like a servant. It is very easy to make a person feel like they are only worth cleaning up and taking after you.
    We must all be careful of the consideration that we show each other, this includes the stay at home parent. Because it is also possible to make the person who is working outside of the home feel as if he or she is taking all the weight on. However, most families that have a stay at home mom/dad have chosen that position between the two of them.

5. Illuminatii profile image60
    Illuminatiiposted 14 years ago

I have heard it said that if one partner works outside the home, the other should manage the home and children. This is untrue. Take for instance a man that leaves for work at 8am and returns home at 6pm. His spouse has spent the day doing laundry, preparing meals, grocery shopping, taking kids here and there, and general household chores. The man eats his dinner and then sinks into his chair for a few hours of TV and reading his paper, while his spouse spends those same hours cleaning up the dinner mess, bathing babies, and getting them into bed. She also needs to finish folding laundry and take out dinner trash. How is this right? a stay at home parent does not have it "easy" they never get a day off. If after work chores take 3 hours for the wife to do on her own, the husband should take over half. This then gives her a break and makes quiet time for them to spend together after.  Just my opinion.

6. Rosalind56 profile image54
    Rosalind56posted 14 years ago

Yes, I agree with the lady who says when the man comes home from an 8 hr day of work he thinks nothing of helping around the house. 
    Her day is not done.  I remember working until 10 at night getting things ready for the next day.  Please don't comment on what did I do all day.  I had three boys under 5 who needed to be fed, played with, bathed, loved, listened to, held, coddled, taught, diciplined, cared for when sick, grocery shopping, cleaning, cooking, washing, yard work,etc etc. and then put on a pretty face, clean myself up, have dinner ready and smile when the hubby came home to hear about his day......but sometimes you can reason with adults (meaning his work.....try reasoning with a 2 yr old) Those days are over.....my boys are young men now ...on there own and I hope I have insatilled that a relationship is 100 to 100 not 50/50.  When you try 50/50 you're always keeping score. Give a 100% of yourself ...and if you can't you don't care enough and you need to move on.  I'm talking about before you make a commitment.    You see I'm cought in the middle.  I'm in my 50's.....today some women who do stay at home don't seem to realize just how lucky they are!  And the men they are married to seem to accept a messy house, cooking their own dinner, etc. When do we reach a happy medium.  Grandma's from the womens lib and Grandpa's from the men are all beat all.  No wonder if your 25 to 35 yrs of age you're totally confused.
    M

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)