jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (9 posts)

Should stay at home mom expect their husband to help them with housework and chi

1. alexandriaruthk profile image71
    alexandriaruthkposted 5 years ago

Should stay at home mom expect their husband to help them with housework and childcare?

Being a full time stay at home mom is tiring specially if there are small children to take care. It is like working full time and more than that. Is it right to demand that their husband should help in the housework?

2. MickS profile image74
    MickSposted 5 years ago

Before I retired I did a very physicaly demanding job, my wife didn't work.  She didn't expect to me to come home from work and carry on working in the house.
    Over the years my wife's physical health deteriorated and She found it all too much for her, so I ended up going out to work and doing all the  house work, and looking after her elderly mother and father.
    I'm sorry ladies, the housework is a doddle.
    Under normal health conditions I  would expect that whom-so-ever stays at home should get the household duties sorted out during the day.

3. savvydating profile image96
    savvydatingposted 5 years ago

Being a stay at home mom is a full time job. However, I think it is fair if you do the housework during the week and he helps out on weekends. On the other hand, it is reasonable for him to help you dry dishes...or give the kids a bath 2 or 3 times a week. Some men even find cooking relaxing...that means you get to clean up. Not a bad trade.
    However, try to avoid nagging him about housework the minute he walks through the door. A man generally needs a good hour or so to just relax and shake off the stress of the day before plunging into any sort of discussion regarding children and household cares. Perhaps the two of you can sit down together and negotiate something that is realistic for both of you. Whatever happens, you are both responsible for raising happy children, no matter who works in or out of the home.

1. Connie Smith profile image90
      Connie Smithposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Have to laugh over that comment about a man needing an hour or two to shake off the stress of the day.  Most working mothers would love to have that.

2. savvydating profile image96
      savvydatingposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I know a man who works full-time out of the home. He also takes care of the kids and most of the housework when he gets home. His wife is a stay at home mom. He would love an hour of rest before his second job at home. She has downtime. He doesn't.

3. Connie Smith profile image90
      Connie Smithposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I know a man who does the same thing -- works full-time and does most of the work at home with a stay at home wife, but I know a lot more women who are working mothers and also are expected to do all the work at home while the man relaxes.

4. Connie Smith profile image90
    Connie Smithposted 5 years ago

I think that a stay at home mom should do most of the housework.  However, I thinkt that the working father should spend his fair share of his off time with the children, perhaps take over cooking a meal or two on the weekends, etc.  Why would it be fair for him to have time off and not her?  No one should be expected to "work" 24/7.

5. profile image0
    Starmom41posted 5 years ago

In my opinion, no. 

Being a SAHM is a full-time job, but if the husband has a full-time outside job he shouldn't be expected to help with hers.

6. tamarawilhite profile image92
    tamarawilhiteposted 5 years ago

If she is at home while he is earning the income to support the family, she can ask for an occasional night away from the kids but cannot expect him to work equally hard at home as at work.

working