jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How do you make people realize that you've grown up, and not a child anymore?

1. Shelbie Leigh profile image56
    Shelbie Leighposted 8 years ago

How do you make people realize that you've grown up, and not a child anymore?

I'm tired of being treated like a 15 year old when at 18, engaged, in the military, and an honor role student, I am clearly not a child anymore.

2. allie8020 profile image74
    allie8020posted 8 years ago

Hi Shelbie!

It took a while for my mom to realize that I've grown up -- even after I got married, became a mom myself and got divorced. I was very resentful that I was being treated like a child even though I had graduated from college and was even a Director for a hospital. So, one day I just asked her to start treating me like a grown-up because I have already earned the recognition many years ago and that I deserved it.

I thought we would end up having a huge fight over it, but she just said, "okay."

I was surprised that it was so "effortless" to get her to admit my grown-up status. After a while, I realized that I was the one that needed to be convinced that I had grown up. Before that time, I was over-sensitive to being treated like a child because I still didn't feel like I was a grown-up. It took a while for me to get over those issues.

My belief is that once you're convinced that you're a grown-up, then you are one -- and it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

3. mintinfo profile image76
    mintinfoposted 8 years ago

You will always be a kid to anyone older than you. Only time will change peoples perceptions. Hang in there.

4. elshiggity profile image71
    elshiggityposted 7 years ago

I believe you are truly a grown up when you can successfully survive in the world on your own. Seeking approval from your parents or other people will just keep you in a young mindset. However, being engaged, in the military, and on the honor role has nothing to do with being a grown up.

I was on honor role most of my school life, I've been a Marine (for a short period of time), I'm married and have a 3 year old daughter. I still believe I have tons of growing up to do still.

working