jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Should arranged marriages be outlawed?

1. edmondpogi profile image61
    edmondpogiposted 7 years ago

Should arranged marriages be outlawed?

in all culture that is...

2. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 7 years ago

Not necessarily. If they are part of a culture, they should be practiced. But the decision of the couple must be respected. If they don't agree to the marriage they shouldn't be forced.

3. Tusitala Tom profile image65
    Tusitala Tomposted 7 years ago

I agree with the previous answer.   Cultures which favour arranged marriages should be respected but no one should be forced into something as serious as a lifelong partnership with someone they don't want to be with.   

Arranged marriages do often work out, however.   This belief that we should only marry someone we've 'fallen in love with' can prove to be a disaster once that feeling has worn off.  Trust, respect, and real friendship is the key to a good marriage.

4. KewlWriter profile image73
    KewlWriterposted 7 years ago

This proves comforting to know some people support arranged marriages since I may as well be going through this in the future because of my culture. But personally I want to know the guy before I marry him. I believe you need to marry someone like your best friend who knows your sorrows and struggles, so that there are no surprises in future.

working