jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

At what age should you discipline a baby?

1. PierrePierre profile image61
    PierrePierreposted 7 years ago

At what age should you discipline a baby?

2. roadrunner0924 profile image60
    roadrunner0924posted 7 years ago

Depends on what you mean...and there is no "right" age...EVERYONE has a different opinion, including the "experts"

3. betcaro profile image61
    betcaroposted 7 years ago

You don't. Babies are too young to discipline; they cry when they need something and the adults in their lives are supposed to respond to their cries by answering the baby's need; for example, changing, feeding, cuddling... A baby cannot be expected to know right from wrong.

4. L a d y f a c e profile image79
    L a d y f a c eposted 7 years ago

I started disciplining my son at 6 months with saying 'no' and moving him away from [x]. At about 10 or 11 months we started counting to 3, and then at 3 give him a tap on the hand and turned him away from whatever it was he wasn't supposed to be touching. If he repeated the action I would tell him 'no' and move him further away and tap him on the bottom (lightly). He got the message though. He's now 14 months old and at 12 months I started giving him time-outs. He generally doesn't get past 2, but on the occasion that he does, or he keeps repeating the offense he gets a time out where I sit him in his crib without toys, with the door open until he is quiet for one full minute (when he is two, it will be two). Sometimes it takes awhile, sometimes it happens fairly quickly. He is a really great kid. I just have to say his name and he stops whatever he's not supposed to be doing, or comes back from wherever he's going. (I know this will change though!) If he gets really bad I ask him if he wants to go to bed and he immediately stops!

After a time out we always make sure to make him laugh and make sure he's happy. I don't want him to think the day is ruined because of one discretion, and want him to know that life goes on with the lesson learned.

I'm going to enjoy this while it lasts, and hope that our continued consistency helps him to understand the things he needs to. I've been told the first child is a ruse! I hope not!

5. profile image0
    miolunaposted 7 years ago

It's better to begin as earlier as you can because with age child can become uncontrolled.

6. dksuttle profile image78
    dksuttleposted 7 years ago

betcaro is absolutely 100% percent right. I am not even sure that most children need discipline. Love, patience, and understanding are much better teachers and ultimately easieron the baby and you.

Discipline is for soldiers.

7. Lyrickkw profile image68
    Lyrickkwposted 6 years ago

Children learn at the age of 6 months how to get want they want. You can start teaching them from right from wrong as soon as you see a level of understanding in them such as 6 months. Kids today are very smart or advance.