jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

if my boyfriend wants to stop drinking, okay and he wants to be sober for now on

1. profile image45
    Shygurl713posted 7 years ago

if my boyfriend wants to stop drinking, okay and he wants to be sober for now on what do i do...

because when he wants a beer but doesnt want to drink it becuase he wants to change and he stars to shake is that normal, he has been drinking since he was 15 yrs old what can i do for him to get help?

2. atifhameed profile image69
    atifhameedposted 7 years ago

Simpleā€¦... If he really want to change himself, just help him to stop drinking... & he will surely obey you!

3. Russ Mayes profile image59
    Russ Mayesposted 7 years ago

The shakes are one of the symptoms of the DTs (the experience of coming off a drug).  Essentially, it sounds like he could be an alcoholic.  If he wants to stop and finds that he can't, he should seek out an AA (alcoholics anonymous) meeting in the area to help him.  If he has been drinking since he was 15 and is an alcoholic, he needs to stop as soon as he can.  Alcoholism can cause kidney and liver failure, which are fatal.  Get him help.

4. graveyard-rose profile image82
    graveyard-roseposted 7 years ago

Ok, shaking is normal if your system is used to alcohol! AKA Alcoholism. Not good!!! That is defenitly a sign he needs to get help or at the bare minimum have a very patient and strong support system. It isnt easy. At the first sign of stress he will want a beer. He needs to be able to do something else instead. He needs to understand that only HE HAS CONTROL OF HIMSELF. You need to understand that too. You will understand why I say that when you start feeling guilty that you arent doing your part, remember, you can not physically force him to stop, therefore, NOT YOUR FAULT! Good luck!

5. Darlene Sabella profile image58
    Darlene Sabellaposted 7 years ago

How old is your boyfriend and for how many years has he been drinking?  My Mother was never sober a day in her life, so this is a serious subject for me.  I he drinks everyday and for many hours everyday, he will not stop...this is a chose he has to make and you need to back away until he has for-filled this promise.  I he only drinks once a week. if you go to parties. just don't get in the car with him, ever, unless you want to be part of killing someone on the road or dying yourself.  Protecting yourself from the one's you love is one of the difficult things in life, and is a huge challenge.   In the deep part of your heart you know the answer to this question and you really do know the truth.  You must learn to TRUST yourself.  Love Darski