Why do so many people believe being married is different from being an unmarried

1. freeenglish profile image56
    freeenglishposted 7 years ago

Why do so many people believe being married is different from being an unmarried defacto?

There's absolutely no difference between a married couple and an unmarried couple, so why do people rank it has such a high priority? In addition, why do so many people think unmarried parents are irresponsible parents? If you disagree with my arguement, can you please explain to me how 1 piece of paper can change or improve someone's life, or enhance parenting?

2. awoodog profile image57
    awoodogposted 7 years ago

To me there is no difference. I'm sure religion has alot to do with how it is viewed. There are however people who think if you don't have that piece of paper that you have a fear of commitment, and are willing to just up and leave at any moment. I don't believe that at all. Married or unmarried if you love your partner and are commited to them a piece of paper is just that, it doesn't make you a good parent nor does it make you a bad one. Love and trust make the difference.

3. tysanders profile image60
    tysandersposted 7 years ago

In my opinion it is different. If you see marriage as a piece of paper then the marriage is just a legal act. But if you see it as a commitment and a lifelong vow then it becomes a spiritual union.

For many marriage provides a sense of security. If I'm dating a guy and not sure where it's going I won't work as hard and if the going gets tough then we can part ways peacefully and move on. If I'm married to a guy then I will do what it takes the make the marriage work because of shared assets, our promise to love each other, etc.