This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: "https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr"

jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

How do you handle a screaming two year old in the grocery store?

1. Mandeeadair profile image80
    Mandeeadairposted 7 years ago

How do you handle a screaming two year old in the grocery store?

My two year old has hit the terrible twos full force!  He threw the biggest fit in the grocery store.  I immediately left the store with him, but my groceries as well.....any other ideas?

2. Lady Guinevere profile image60
    Lady Guinevereposted 7 years ago

I think tht you did what I would have done in these uncertain chukd stealing times.  What I did 30 years ago was leave her in the aisle that she was in and go to another part of the store--like the next aisle and kept a close eye on her.  She soon calmed down when she knew that mommy meant what she said.

3. Mandeeadair profile image80
    Mandeeadairposted 7 years ago

Oh I agree, I think that is a fantastic idea.  Thank you!!

4. Lisa HW profile image71
    Lisa HWposted 7 years ago

Knowing what is likely to trigger a tantrum (in the store) and avoiding it can help.  For example, if you know you'll be pushing him in the carriage past that candy rack on the way out; give him something to be busy with just before you get to the rack.  If having someone in front of you in line means you'll be standing by the candy rack longer than a two-year-old can (before wanting something), hang back until the person ahead leaves room for you to push him past the candy rack very quickly).  (Explain to anyone behind you what you're doing.  Standing a couple of feet farther back temporarily isn't going to slow anyone down.)  If it isn't the candy rack that's likely to get him going, it may be the cereal aisle (with pictures on boxes that appeal to kids).  Think of which foods might "get him going" and keep the carriage near less appealing stuff.

Generally, try to give him something that will keep him entertained and engrossed through the whole trip.  He'll be happy for most of the time, which may help him be a little better with a minor frustration on the trip.  Give him something like Cheerios (small, time-consuming, food pieces) to add to whatever toy/entertainment/book you give him.   Something he doesn't have all the time can seem more interesting and fun than his "usual, old, favorite, truck". 

Try to make the trip a really positive, "special time", with him.  Talk to him, tell him where you'll be going next and what "we'll be doing next".  Two-year-olds don't like surprises.

Other than that, talk (in a friendly way) to him before going into the store.  Tell him the plans and what will and won't be bought/done.  Give him a choice of what snack/little treat he may like to get, and mention it throughout the trip (so he has something to look forward to).

While he's still happy (beforehand) tell him that "the people in the store can't have people screaming and crying because the workers can't concentrate on their work."  He may/may not understand, but eventually he will.

Some of these ideas may help, but if he ends up having a tantrum, leave your cart at the desk and do what you did - bring him outside "until he's ready to go in "and start over".

5. JillKostow profile image87
    JillKostowposted 7 years ago

My son is also 2.  Now that the other 3 kids are back in school it is usually just me and him making our shopping trips.  I started leaving him walk through the store with me and involving him in getting the items off the shelf and putting them in the cart.  We also count cans of soup, etc. as we place it in.  Alot of times he will follow right behind me counting everything.  He can now count to 11 without missing any numbers and I think counting in the store helped him learn this quickly.  When we get to the checkout he helps put the items up on the counter and also gives the cashier our coupons, this keeps him occupied and away from the candy that is staring him in the face.  It does take us a little bit longer to get through the store, but the tantrums and screaming stopped.  He feels important and some sense of control by helping me shop.

6. profile image45
    izzRoposted 7 years ago

Somtimes its hard to be patience sometimes we get so irritated and easily upset trust me i know how embarresing it is but your two yr old is the love of your life am i right>it was probley a good idea that you left but next time mabe take a extra 3 bucks and get him somthing so he can play with through out the time you are shopping..kids usually whine because they dont have nothing to play with and there annoyed..or they just want somthing.

Closed to reply

working