jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

How old was your child when they started talking?

1. L a d y f a c e profile image77
    L a d y f a c eposted 7 years ago

How old was your child when they started talking?

I've read that babies can start with 'mama' and 'dada' as early as 4-5 months, having a vocabulary of up to 200 words by 18-24 months. I've also read that babies start talking around 15 months..
    When did your child stop babbling and start talking?

2. brandonhart100 profile image88
    brandonhart100posted 7 years ago

I've had several kids so hopefully I can help.  My first child started to speak words very early, around 8 months.  Around 12-18 months his limited vocabulary grew to about 20 words and then by 2 and a half he could pretty much say anything he wanted to.  My second child, a girl and aided by the first, was a few months ahead of the first all the way around.  Now I'm on the third and at 18 months he's already speaking sentences. 

It's definitely different with each child, but siblings encourage early learning and interaction for sure.

3. TheRaptorClaw profile image59
    TheRaptorClawposted 7 years ago

Lol i don't have a kid because i am to young to have one.

4. ngureco profile image83
    ngurecoposted 7 years ago

Anytime between 18 months to 24 months is the average age a child will be able to speak some words and make short sentences.

5. Amber4 profile image57
    Amber4posted 7 years ago

She was saying words at 6 months. Speaking 2-word sentences by her first birthday. She has been speaking in complete sentences since before her second birthday and now shes 27 months and I can talk to her about anything. She speaks and comprehends pretty well. But to directly answer your question shes been "talking" in a manner that is understandable by other adults since she was about 20 months old. I have been able to understand her, of course much sooner.

6. cheapsk8chick profile image54
    cheapsk8chickposted 7 years ago

My oldest child could speak amazingly well at 10 months, but my sons were quite a bit older before they were vocalizing their wants well.  I think it depends upon necessity as much as anything else - my youngest didn't have to speak because everyone waited on him hand and foot.  He didn't speak well until he was around two!

7. NJ's Ponderings profile image79
    NJ's Ponderingsposted 7 years ago

My daughter was advanced because I continually talked to her and encouraged her to talk with me--at least I think that is the reason. She made all kinds of sounds during her first three or four months that we, as parents, were convinced made sense. smile By four to six months or so, she was making sounds and referring to various objects and things. Hence, her babbling was around 4-6 months. Around 18 months, she could converse with simple sentences (2-3 words). Hope that helps. smile

working