jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

My 4 yr old son tells me he dreams of a man with spikes sticking out all over hi

1. keepitnatural profile image74
    keepitnaturalposted 7 years ago

My 4 yr old son tells me he dreams of a man with spikes sticking out all over him. Naturally...

this is worrying, what does it mean & what can I do?

2. MickS profile image73
    MickSposted 7 years ago

Sounds like he's seen a poster or picture for Hellraiser, and it's playing on his mind.  Suggest to him that it is just a picture from a story and that it's all make believe.

3. To Start Again profile image78
    To Start Againposted 7 years ago

I agree with Mick, sounds like Hellraiser. I try to reassure my five year old that that stuff is just pretend. I calmly and matter of factly explain that those are just regular people like you or I that have a job called 'acting'. they go to work every day and dress up in costumes and makeup, like Halloween. When they are done, they take it all off and go home to their families.

4. mcrawford76 profile image84
    mcrawford76posted 7 years ago

The imagination of a child can be both amazing and frightening. I have tried with my own children to try to channel those (usually irrational) fears into their creativity. Trying to get them to elaborate on their dreams, or draw a picture of what they saw.
    Did he by chance watch X-men, in the 3rd installment there was a "porcupine" guy with spikes sticking out all over him.

I would hope your four year old isn't watching Hellraiser, so I don't think that's where he's getting the image from.

working